TNG Community
TrondTor

MySQL to MariaDB

TrondTor

My hosting service has informed me that they will move my TNG environment to a new server. The new server runs MariaDB 10.6, currently I am running MySQL 5.7.

Anyone with experience of this and can tell me if I can expect any issues? or do I need to change anything prior to the move?

Thanks.

bhemph

What TNG version are you running?  I would make sure to do a backup of the database and download that backup to your computer, just as a precaution.  I am a bit paranoid of losing data after having lost a number of hard drives to failure.

TrondTor

Thanks, sure I will. TNG version: always the latest 😀, i.e. 13.1.2

bhemph

Ok, with the latest version there shouldn't be any issues.  I have used MariaDB 10.6 in a test instance in the past.

TrondTor

Thanks bhemph, good to hear.

Case closed

PapaTango

I did a host migration in June.  The original WebHost ran MySQL, while the new host runs 10.3.36.

There were no issues with the transfer--I simply uploaded files,  and then the DB itself from export out of MySQL via PhpMyAdmin.  A few URL edits everything was back online again.  This follows for all of my WordPress and the WP/TNG bundle site.

I had also done this years ago when given a choice with a VPS host.  Again, no issues.  On earlier versions of MySQL I recall we had to do something additional on the import.  That seems to be a long-gone tribulation...