TNG Community
jessewebdotcom

getperson.php in my new template

jessewebdotcom

I am a new TNG user (24 hours young), succesfully copied/created a new template, but can't figure out how to make the person page getperson.php look more like this:

https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/LDVW-FFG/antonia-cortes-torres-1925-2001

I tried copying getperson.php into my template folder, modified the file, reloaded my template, refreshed the browser - but no changes appear.

Thanks

Ken Roy

the getperson.php file needs to remain in the TNG root folder.  The templates do not allow you to change the format of the TNG pages

jessewebdotcom

Thanks - so I just directly modify root/getperson.php as needed?

Ken Roy

There is a very big risk in modifying key TNG files directly.  getperson.php gets updated every new TNG release. 

edglimited
6 hours ago, jessewebdotcom said:

I am a new TNG user (24 hours young), succesfully copied/created a new template, but can't figure out how to make the person page getperson.php look more like this:

https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/LDVW-FFG/antonia-cortes-torres-1925-2001

I tried copying getperson.php into my template folder, modified the file, reloaded my template, refreshed the browser - but no changes appear.

Thanks

Ken is 1000% correct. Modifying files directly can cause all sorts of drama's.
If I can offer a suggestion, contact Bill Herndon @Wrherndon or Marsha Bryant at Genealogy Web Templates

Bill designed a few templates to work with TNG. Two of these templates are 'cleanroom' re-implementations of Near Dark and Near Dawn that use the original color palettes but provide updated layout and features. Two additional templates, Daylight and Nightlight (under development) are totally new but have the same goals, flexibility, and features.

Bill is also on TNGWiki, same contact info @Wrherndon

Marsha is also a legend at Template design and comes highly recommended.

I'm not saying either will rush out and design a template (or getperson.php) for you, however they maybe able to point you in the right direction, with what you have created. Copyright might also exist with the page layout for Familysearch. As for the getperson.php, Bill maybe able to offer something. There is a Mod called Regroup Person Profile but it has it's limitations and may cause your other Mods to crash. That's also an option. Robin Richmond is the man behind the Mod. He maybe interested, in what you have and might also be able to help.

Drew..

jessewebdotcom

Thanks - my initial impression of TNG is that its powerful but complex/confusing. I want to dumb down the experience as well as modernize the look.  If I can't then I'll have to find another product.  I'll reach out to bill, thanks again.

jessewebdotcom

Maybe I can modify the look and feel with user pages?  Or mods?

Edited by jessewebdotcom
added the idea of using mods

Ken Roy

I would suggest you learn how TNG works.  Please read some of the TNG Wiki documentation.  Maybe start with the TNG Getting Started Guide

and the How TNG Works  categories

Michel KIRSCH

After following Ken's suggestions, I suggest you create your own "getperson2.php" page
and redirect the original getperson.php to your new page.

Michel

jessewebdotcom

Redirection is a great idea. I'm in the midst of evaluating an alternative self-hosted genealogy product that may provide the type of flexibility I need (purposely not posting the product name, PM me if required). If that doesn't pan out, I'll circle back here on my progress.  Thanks all. 

Newfloridian

Hi Jesse

TNG is rich in resources to do all manner of things. I have used only TNG since I started with it back in the days of TNG version 4 (template 4). I have tinkered with many aspects of TNG itself - including rewriting index.php for my own purposes. I have left getperson.php alone (why bother?) but have extended its reach. I am a family historian rather than a genealogist (subtle distinction perhaps). My own website is divided into two - the "internal" pages which consitute the standard TNG fare; and the "external" pages, consisting of a magazine of illustrated articles about people, family, places and events encompassing the extended family. These articles, written using historytemplate.php, now number over 550.

As an example, the following is the personal page of my grandfather, George Cook. If you scroll down to the lower part of that page you will see a section marked "Personal histories". Clicking on the link "A Wand'ring Minstrel, I" (the first of those links) might give you an idea of the sort of thing you are trying to achieve.

George Cook (1883 - 1968)

If you would like a more detailed guided tour, do send me a PM

Cheers Alan