TNG Community
Don Gordon

Disk usage warning

Don Gordon

I have received a similar warning that Raymonish raised on 12th July - but my question is about identifying large files, not about GEDCOM. 

“The user “christin” (christinaanddonaldmclean.com) has almost reached their disk quota. The account currently uses 84.42% (9.89 GB/11.72 GB) of its disk capacity. The account currently has 13,366 files. Remove some files from this account, or ask the system administrator to increase the account’s disk quota.”

My Utilities have the following, but how can open any of these so that I can view a list (and size) of the files - so that I can then delete those that are using the most disk space?  

image.png

Chris Lloyd

Go to the file management on you cpanel on your host server - have a look at log files as well as they can add up to a lot of disk space. Some hosts have daily, weekly and monthly logs that can go back years!

Don Gordon

Thank you for that Chris.  I have now gone into cpanel and deleted some large files.  However I am still locked out of my website.  How can I get back into the website? 

edglimited
1 hour ago, Don Gordon said:

Thank you for that Chris.  I have now gone into cpanel and deleted some large files.  However I am still locked out of my website.  How can I get back into the website? 

Don, to get back into your site, or at least have some access to it, you will need to initiate a restore point. (assuming you have backups, or you do, do them). If not call Houston.

For example, say your website was ok up to the 11th Aug, then on the 12th, you got locked out.. see example attachment.

Login to your C-Panel and set a restore point. (eg: 11th Aug) If you do backups daily, you wont lose any work, if you do them weekly, the earliest restore point will be one week from before the lockout. (eg: 4th Aug) So any edits, or uploads you did, will now be lost. If you do a monthly......you can see where I'm going with this.. If your still locked out, go to an earlier date.

Once you have restored your web to the earlier date, you should now have access.

Drew..

Screenshot 2022-08-12 at 13-06-38 cPanel - Acronis Backup.png

Don Gordon

Thanks Drew.  I contacted Simply Hosting and they deleted some old backup files for me.

All sorted now.