TNG Community
Ancestrees

I want 2 trees to link to my page. How do I link a 2nd one?

Ancestrees

I installed a 2nd tree via the "Trees" tab where I created a new tree. Then I went to import and successfully imported the 2nd tree.   What I really want is the link to get to a pedigree chart for person number 1 in my "greentree" tree file which is my 2nd tree I just added. Does someone know what code I'd use to do that?   Thank you.

Ken Roy

TNG does not support linking or showing people between multiple trees.  Related people should be in the same tree. 

I do not think you can do what you are asking for. 

Ancestrees

Thanks Ken for considering the problem. Darrin has already told me it is possible and how to load it. I just don't know how to link it. Does anyone else know the code on the set up screen to link a 2nd tree. It's the unrelated family to me for people like family. Thanks much.

Ken Roy

Maybe you did not ask Darrin the correct question.  Yes you can load more than one tree, but TNG does not provide the capability to link between trees.

You can look at my Same Person Link mod but I do not think that is what you are asking for.   My mod adds a row to the getperson.php page that indicates this person is the same as the person in another tree or on another site.

Ancestrees

You are correct in that your Same Person Link would not work for what I need. I literally want a way to bring up a 2nd totally different tree on my  page. Darrin made it clear that I could do that and mentioned after the steps I took, I'd simply need to add the code to get it to come up. I can't figure out what code works to bring it up.  Thanks for all your time. I have written Darrin again.  Linda

Ken Roy

Linda,

If Darrin provides a solution on how to do it, please post it here so it can be documented. 

Ancestrees

I found the solution before Darrin was able to get back to me. We did have a correct understanding. You can link 2 or more trees to one website. Their notes and pictures show up in the same tabs for notes or photos. Their trees don't overlap if they are not related to one another.  Here are the steps to do that.

To add an additional tree or trees do the following.

1. Go to Admin/Trees/Add New and create a new tree.

2. On the Import page just choose that new tree as the destination.

3. Take a link to any person in that tree and include it somewhere in your template settings so it shows on the front page.  To do this step, simply use the search form on your page to look up person number 1 in the added tree. When they come up, copy their address from your sites address bar. Paste that into the spot on your template's setup screen to get it to link on your page. Ex. https://ancestrees.com/pedigree.php?personID=I312069503979&tree=greentree

It works perfectly.

Here is my updated site: https://ancestrees.com 

Look at the bottom of the page and choose the link called Green Family Tree by choosing the word more under that heading. What comes up is an entirely separate tree that is not related to the main one on the rest of the page. I haven't uploaded any photos yet. It works great if you have an adopted family member or have need to post someone else's tree for them.

I hope this is helpful.

Linda Coate

edglimited
13 hours ago, Ancestrees said:

I found the solution before Darrin was able to get back to me. We did have a correct understanding. You can link 2 or more trees to one website. Their notes and pictures show up in the same tabs for notes or photos. Their trees don't overlap if they are not related to one another.  Here are the steps to do that.

To add an additional tree or trees do the following.

1. Go to Admin/Trees/Add New and create a new tree.

2. On the Import page just choose that new tree as the destination.

3. Take a link to any person in that tree and include it somewhere in your template settings so it shows on the front page.  To do this step, simply use the search form on your page to look up person number 1 in the added tree. When they come up, copy their address from your sites address bar. Paste that into the spot on your template's setup screen to get it to link on your page. Ex. https://ancestrees.com/pedigree.php?personID=I312069503979&tree=greentree

It works perfectly.

Here is my updated site: https://ancestrees.com 

Look at the bottom of the page and choose the link called Green Family Tree by choosing the word more under that heading. What comes up is an entirely separate tree that is not related to the main one on the rest of the page. I haven't uploaded any photos yet. It works great if you have an adopted family member or have need to post someone else's tree for them.

I hope this is helpful.

Linda Coate

There's an easier option than that, you could use the area, where you have Alexander Hamilton for eg, or any feature link and link to an internal / external tree, person or site. I also run T15.

See Van Peer Project

If you click on the Van Peer logo, you go to that site. The options for T15, are open and varied.

Drew..

edglimited

Just to add, you can as you have, use the text link, if the template has them. If not feature links, work ok.

Ancestrees

Edglimited - or anyone else who can help. Now that I have 2 completely different trees in my database, how do I load pictures in my 2nd tree?  I have ftp'd them into the photo folder. I have rerun the thumbnails for the ones that do not have a path but can't find them. I can't find any of them for either tree inside my T.N.G. software.    Thanks much. Linda

Ancestrees

I just answered my own question. When I uploaded them via the T.N.G. site instead, they showed up.  Then the first ones I had added showed up from my FTP program so now I have duplicates. What this means is, my webpage provider doesn't load them as quickly.  I know from past experiences with them, that I can't load many through FTP at a time or they never show up.  Does anyone else have this same issue whom has a really large family tree?

Ancestrees

My tree has 18,000 people, over 10,000 sources and over 4500 images.  If you have a tree larger than this and have a web site provider that handles image imports and site exports well, please let me know what it is and their monthly cost. Thanks!