TNG Community
Raymondish

Disk Usage Warning

Raymondish

Hello,

I just received an e-mail "Disk Usage Warning" from cpanel@raymond-family.net  with this message:

The account currently uses 84.28% (842.76 MB/1,000 MB) of its disk capacity.

The account currently has 2,895 files.

Remove some files from this account, or ask the system administrator to increase the account’s disk quota.

My questions are:

When I upload a new Gedcom file to an existing database, does that generate obsolete files that I should delete?

Can I do file deletions directly from a TNG administrator page, or should I contact the hosting service? 

Should I just ask for more disk capacity?

Thanks,

Raymond

Chris Lloyd

I would ask for more capacity. If you have a lot of images consider optimising the size for the web or having them hosted somewhere else.

Raymondish

Thanks for the response, Chris.

I don't have any images, except for the two on my lead page. I have a slowly growing database of 100,000 plus people, and I upload a new Gedcom to it every three months. The Gedcom is currently about 50 Mb. When I upload, I always check the box to replace all current data.

So I'm wondering, are my updates leaving leftover files as debris? Maybe the collection of old Gedcom files are just sitting out there?

Guess I need to check with the Simply Hosting people...

Philip Roy

Hi there,

Importing a gedcom doesn't create files...it just sends information to your database. You might want to check how your hosting company calculates the size of your account and if the database is large (if they include that in the calculation).

In terms of the gedcom file itself...are you uploading the gedcom file to a specific folder before you import it into TNG? If so, once you have done the import, you can delete that file...and any older gedcom files that you uploaded in the past. Again...the gedcome file doesn't create other files in that process.

One of the things you might want to look at is the size of your folder of images and what size image you are uploading into your site. If you have lots of people (and I assume lots of images) that might be causing an issue?

Raymondish

Thanks Phillip. I'm importing the Gedcom directly into TNG. When uploading from my PC, it appears to come from a "fakepath". I have lots of people but I do not have images. My Gedcom file is only 50 Mb, so I'm surprised that it's telling me I'm using 842 Mb. But i'll contact Simply Hosting and find out...

theKiwi

Take a look in the gedcom folder on your site - it might be keeping a copy of the GEDCOM file each time you upload it, and so slowly increasing the size of files stored in the gedcom folder.

Roger

Raymondish

Yes Roger, looks like that was the problem. It was indeed keeping a copy of each Gedcom, so I had over a dozen large files going back several years. I just deleted most of them, hopefully that will solve my space problem.

Thanks for the tip!

Raymond