TNG Community

Statistics Reports Cousins

azizdogan

Newfloridian

Hi Aziz

If it's of any help, this is the output from that mod from my own site:

All cousin marriages

You can see from the second line of the header that there is also (1) the option to list the cousins by degree of any individual and (2)  list multiple marriages between two families.

Cheers Alan

I am not sure it computes cousins links correctly.

I just installed it :

• I am 4th cousin with myself
  • my brother is 4th cousin to me
  • Hervé is 1st cousin and 4th cousin to me (though it could be possible, it is not the case)

I haven't I stalled it yet. But if it's like you reported it - the own family (siblings) need to be excluded from the search .

So at least I don't start by zero ..someone else made 99% work. 

I can share later the changes I made here.

Aziz

I just installed it:
I am no cousin of my self - or any of mz brothers and sisters - so its working.
But i encountered another problem. My grandfater father side had 2 wifes. From the first wife 4 childrens. The first wife died, so my grandfather married a 2nd time. Another 5 childrens (last one was my father). Only cousins from 2nd wife are shown up.

We call them all cousins, from 1st wife or 2nd wife. So i need to analyse the query.

Maybe its true I am my own fourth cousin, since my great-grand-parents were first cousins ...

in spite of these implexities, should it appear so in the calculation of the cousinhoods ...

Newfloridian

Hi Katryne

With a collaborator we put together some charts and an explanatory text to try to explain have these double and apparently inconceivable relationships can come about. If of interest it can be found on our site (the page in the section next to the Cousin chart)

Cheers Alan

A GLOSSARY OF GENEALOGICAL RELATIONSHIPS

I understand all this, Alan, I have been doing genealogical research for 50 years. Well, I have identified 1611 of my ancestors, but in fact only 937 are unique, the others are duplicates, because of the implexes, the cousinships among my ancestors. This is probably normal, but it doesn't explain the abnormal way of calculation of the mod which shows that I am my own 4th cousin, and the same for my brother and my first cousin.

Am i correct that the Cousins report does not show half cousins?

Newfloridian

Hi

It does not. Similarly in is limited to what depth of degree (mine is seven) and removed it does do. As operator you do have control on how you set various aspects  but during the programming of the mod several compromises had to be made. In my own case updating the cousin marriages mod takes between seven and nine minutes.

Alan

Thanks, i will just hide cousins and just show the other two reports which are nice.

15 hours ago, stores said:

Am i correct that the Cousins report does not show half cousins?

Correct. I understand that the algorithm for this is too involved / complicated. When I asked, back in 2019,

ME: I do not use it because it does not detect half-cousins.

ALAN:I fully appreciate your point. Chris and I had numerous discussions about many aspects of this mod during its development (I think it took the best part of 6 months!). My main interest was in marriages between cousins (I have over 90 in my database of which just over 30 are between first cousins). I was also trying to keep the mod usable against TNG from 10.1.3 (mine) upwards............

............However, when comparing some of the results from her list with my own, I found that (for instance) one of her fourth cousins turned out to be my fourth cousin twice removed (not a half cousin). Chris did the actual SQL coding so I'm honestly not sure how you could throw half cousins into the mix..

I think Connections mod is the way to go. Although it does give far too much info, if you just want a list

• 1 year later...
bobbyfamilytree

I am also interested in a list of cousins, half, etc.

This would be conveniently awesome as a list that I could export to a spreadsheet for example, and mark for those with birth, marriage, death documents, dna test, photo, signature and so on.