TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
mntoolboy

Updated information without replacing

mntoolboy

Hello -

I have begun using Census Plus International so I manually enter census data within TNG. However, I use FTM 2019 for the GEDCOM. Everytime I upload a new GEDCOM, it wipes out the manually entered census information.

Is it possible for TNG to only update information that was changed in FTM without having to replace all manually input data in TNG?

Thanks for any guidance/assistance!

Alan

Ken Roy

Alan,

The Census Plus International mod includes some restrictions if you import your data, as I do.

Restrictions

• If you import a GEDCOM as a way of supporting your web site, you must define the Census events (or facts) in your desktop genealogy program so you do not lose the events on a GEDCOM import

After you do your import, you need to click  the Import Secondary Process to update the eventIDs and find the census events that you did not define in your FTM database from which you are generating the GEDCOM.

Please also read the Census Plus considerations when importing GEDCOM article

Note that your Census Plus tables are still there, just not connected after an import until your follow the correct procedure as defined in the TNG Wii articles

mntoolboy

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your response! The mod is fantastic, just what I have been looking for, as often times I just ignore the census in Ancestry (and the subsequent sync with FTM).

I imported the GEDCOM from FTM and it wiped out all the manually entered Census information in TNG. I then went to Secondary Processes in the Import/Export menu but got the following error when trying to Check Census Links:

-----

Check Census Links

Number of Census Event Links reset is 0

An error has occurred in the TNG software. What to do:

If you just installed an upgrade, you might have skipped part of the installation instructions. Go back to the upgrade readme page reread the instructions. Pay special attention to the database structure step.

If you just installed TNG for the first time, you might still need to create the database tables. Return to the readme.html page to find that step.

If you are the site owner, you may contact TNG support for further assistance with this problem. Please copy the query below and paste it into your message.

Query: SELECT tng_events.*,cp_link.cplinkID,cp_link.cpdataID FROM tng_events INNER JOIN cp_link ON tng_events.persfamID = cp_link.cpersonID AND tng_events.gedcom = cp_link.gedcom AND RIGHT(tng_events.eventdate, 4) = cp_link.censusYear WHERE cp_link.eventtypeID = tng_events.eventtypeID AND cp_link.cpeventID = '-1'

Illegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '='

-----

Presumably it's because I do not have any "Census" facts in FTM. It looks like if I just add a generic census fact in Ancestry, sync it to FTM, upload to TNG, and run the secondary process, it maintains the manually entered information. At least it worked on one individual, will update for everyone and see what happens. Will report results.

Alan

Ken Roy
30 minutes ago, mntoolboy said:

Illegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '='

Your database appears to have a mixture of collation sequence, so you will need to also fix that issue.

You need to check the collation sequence for your database tables and make them all the same - either utf8_general_ci or uft8_unicode_ci

mntoolboy

Not sure why it is giving the "illegal mix of collations" error. I am using the tables generated by the scripts. I also am continuing to get the "Number of Census Event Links reset is x". It doesn't appear to be an issue though, only on the admin side, as when I run the secondary process, everything imports to the individual pages as it should.

Here is what I did just in case anyone else runs into this issue:

- Pull up the census image in Ancestry and ensure the individuals match to the tree
- Add Census fact to each individual (separate for each year) including date and location in Ancestry
- Sync to FTM ensuring a Census Individual fact is added and matches to what was just entered
- Add Census transcripts in TNG by transcribing the census information
- Generate GEDCOM from FTM
- Upload GEDCOM to TNG using "Replace all current data"
- Run "Check Census Links" Secondary Process on the Import/Export screen
- Verify Census information is reflected on the Individual pages

It's a process top be sure. But the Census Plus International mod is so useful that it is worth the effort! Now if only McKiev would reach out and implement this as an option in FTM.

Appreciate your guidance, Ken. Great mod!

Alan

Ken Roy

Alan,

Without access to phpMyAdmin on your web site, I cannot say why you are getting an illegal mix of collation sequence, but you should be able to change the collation sequences in the tables so they are all the same.