TNG Community
Philip Roy

Reunion and histories...and TNG

Philip Roy

A relative has passed away recently and the eulogy at their funeral would make a good "histories" page in TNG. I've not used that feature before in TNG.

But...I also want to capture the eulogy in Reunion on my Mac. So my question is really about how to manage Reunion and TNG in a way that means I have the same pieces of information in two separate 'apps' but I don't impact TNG imports by doing that.

What I mean is this...

• What's the best way to capture the text of a TNG "histories" page in Reunion if it's about a person specifically? I'm hoping the answer isn't to simply put the eulogy into their notes section. To be clear, I know I have to create the histories page itself for my TNG site, that this can involve HTML coding and use of images and I'm not suggesting I should be able to do all hat in Reunion also....but I want a copy of the text in Reunion (associated with that person) and in TNG
  • As I wipe all data on TNG every time I do an import of an exported GEDCOM from Reunion (it's a tiny site so this isn't a difficult thing to do) how would I stop that text coming into TNG?

Just trying to get my head around having two 'apps' (Reunion and TNG) and a way to have history text in both (if possible).

JerryL.

Philip, I also use Reunion on my Mac and it serves as my master database for all textual data.  I regularly upload gedcoms via Simply Hosting and then to TNG, however I only add records for which changes have been made.  I do not have any media records in Reunion.  All media is stored under separate media files on my home Mac as masters and copies made and uploaded for my online site. Media that consist of documents are scanned as jpgs.  For death data, I routinely copy and paste the text of online obituaries and add them under NOTES in my Reunion record of the appropriate person.  In TNG, I do not create histories pages for death information, unless I am creating a more in-depth biography of an individual.  Instead, I use TNG's category "Documents" and in the title of the appropriate media record , I use categories that I have created to assist in alphabetizing the various documents.  One of these categories is "Death".  So the title of the document would look as follows: Death. [insert name here as entered in your personal name record]. Obituary.  In addition to the subheading "Obituary" I also use "Funeral Memorial", "Death Certificate", etc.  I know that this method is different from what you want to achieve, but this construct has worked well for me over the years.  I used to have my only custom list of media categories that I felt better identified media, but I got tired of having to continually update all of that data when I installed new verions of TNG, so I just adopted TNG's categories and added my own subcategories.  One of the main issues is where you store your media and whether media is handled via gedcom or not.  Take a look at both the Histories and Documents categories on my site: www.connectedbloodlines.com to get a better idea of how this works and the types of sub-categories that I have employed within the title for both Histories and Documents. Feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.

Philip Roy

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it. Your approach is different to mine...TNG is (for me) the way I publish all my work to a private small site for family. As yet, no one has edited or contributed to the site *on* the site...but just emailed me things....which I add in to Reunion. I do make use of media in Reunion and significant use of citations and documents. Basically what I am doing is updating and fact-checking a lot of work that mum and dad did years ago and as a lot of the stuff that they research is now available electronically, adding that in also. They used Reunion, which I have then taken over and tidied up.

So the reality is that I use Reunion far more than I use TNG, even as the person hosting the site.

So although Reunion does have inbuilt web exporter, I wanted something that looked better, was actually more intuitive to use and (if family members want to submit changes once) can. At the moment I am probably just going to add the eulogy to the person's notes in Reunion and have them display in TNG...but I will take on board how you work and have a bit of a long think about that approach and the material I have to share with family.

Thanks again