TNG Community

Issues with name order and setup

rakelbara

Every time I update TNG, I have to go into some of the files and manually change the setup for how names are shown. My TNG site is for Icelandic people and in Iceland you list people by their first name - ALWAYS - you never use the last name to identify someone. Even the telephonebook (now online) lists people by their first name. I have tried going into settings and changing the name order there to list persons by their first name first, but that does not help. Because I have to make these changes in the TNG code, I have a problem with a lot of the mods I would like to use, since they are made to work with un-edited TNG files. 

Is there any way to avoid this issue??  I have been doing this for years and now I just updated again, which starts the problem all over again.

See here f.ex.https://www.legstadaleit.com/tng/search.php?mybool=AND&nr=50&myfirstname=j%C3%B3n&fnqualify=contains

Sounds like you are NOT upgrading but doing full installs since an upgrade would preserve your configuration file settings.

There is an option in Admin > Setup > General Settings in the Name section to specify Name Order - First Name First is one of the options.

Rakel,

Do you have a mod that you install to make all the changes each time, or do you have to do them manually?  If you can send those changes that are necessary to Darrin and explain that the Icelandic way of using names should be included in the core code of TNG as an option, especially since Icelandic is a supported language, then hopefully he would agree and add that to the TNG base code.  That would help you and other Icelandic users of TNG, since the option for Icelandic name use would be able to be in effect throughout TNG, instead of only using the First Name first in certain places.

Brent

On 7/1/2022 at 9:03 PM, Ken Roy said:

Sounds like you are NOT upgrading but doing full installs since an upgrade would preserve your configuration file settings.

There is an option in Admin > Setup > General Settings in the Name section to specify Name Order - First Name First is one of the options.

No I am most definitely making an upgrade. The files that are updated are most often are showmap.php, famsearch.php and search.php and those are the files I have to manually change in order to get the names to display correctly for me.

Unfortunately the Name Order - First Name First does not help me - I actually do not see any changes to how the lists are displayed when I make a change to that option. 

On 7/2/2022 at 2:29 AM, bhemph said:

Rakel,

Do you have a mod that you install to make all the changes each time, or do you have to do them manually?  If you can send those changes that are necessary to Darrin and explain that the Icelandic way of using names should be included in the core code of TNG as an option, especially since Icelandic is a supported language, then hopefully he would agree and add that to the TNG base code.  That would help you and other Icelandic users of TNG, since the option for Icelandic name use would be able to be in effect throughout TNG, instead of only using the First Name first in certain places.

Brent

Hi Brent

No unfortunately I don't have a mod to do this for me so I have to do it manually each time I update. I have been in touch with Darrin so he knows of this issue, but perhaps there aren't enough Icelanders to make it interesting to add this option to TNG.

Best regards

Rakel

Rakel,

Attached is a quick and dirty mod that implements the changes that Darrin indicated were necessary to get names listed in first name order in search.php and showmap as well as 2 other modules that use the $name = getNameRev function.

I say quick and dirty because logically, the table header also needs to be changed and the showmap.php change do not appear to sort the names alphabetically.  I have not checked the anniversary.php change since I do not use it.

It would be better if Darrin implemented the change within TNG to use the Admin > Setup > General Settings > Name order setting in the Name section so that lists would take into account cultural difference.

As an a aside my wife's contacts on her phone need to be in first name order for her to quickly find her 9 sisters and not have to remember their married names  :)

fix_name_order_display_v13.0.0.2.cfg