TNG Community
KevyNC

Importing Gedcom - what is replaced or not

KevyNC

Good Afternoon, 

When importing a GEDCOM with the replacks,e ALL box checked.  What tables are and ARE NOT 'reset'. Meaning Tables such as Places, rows do not get delete before import so old places will remain. At least that has been my experience.  I can delete manually, but wonder if there was a list of was gets "cleared" and what does not.

thanks,

Ken Roy

The tng_places table does not get reset if you share places between trees (Pool location option).

Tables identified in Why you cannot move a site by GEDCOM alone

bhemph

Also, I think geocoded places are not removed, since not all GEDCOM files have the geocoding of places in them.  The zoom and place level I do not believe come from the GEDCOM either.  The late Jay Wilpot (jayat1familytree) had posted a list of what tables he cleared before his import of a GEDCOM.  I believe that Tom (fluffy82) may have continued this process.  But it does come down to testing a bit to find what your GEDCOM replaces when you do the replace all option, since you don't want to clear something if that does not get populated by the GEDCOM from your desktop application.

fluffy82
11 hours ago, bhemph said:

Also, I think geocoded places are not removed, since not all GEDCOM files have the geocoding of places in them.  The zoom and place level I do not believe come from the GEDCOM either.  The late Jay Wilpot (jayat1familytree) had posted a list of what tables he cleared before his import of a GEDCOM.  I believe that Tom (fluffy82) may have continued this process.  But it does come down to testing a bit to find what your GEDCOM replaces when you do the replace all option, since you don't want to clear something if that does not get populated by the GEDCOM from your desktop application.

Hi all. 

I do indeed truncate ("empty") a number of tables manually before importing a gedcom. I do this for two reasons:

• my database is very large; when I keep the data there and "replace all", it takes a very long time and I often get a server error during import; this doesn't happen when I truncate the largest tables first
  • I had some issues before with remnants of previous imports; I know that (a couple of years ago at least, it might have changed) the "media links" table is not being replaced. If in your data file some links have changed, it will show the old ones and the newly imported ones, which resulted in source media being attached to the wrong people (on top of the correct ones)

The ones I empty before importing, are people (persons?), families, sources, citations and media links.

Then I do a replace all.

The places table is not reset because it contains information that is proper to TNG (such as zoom level). They are cross referenced with the import, though, so you will not create doubles.