TNG Community
Sabot

Family PDF History Books

Sabot

Greetings,

I have lots of large family history books (PDFs at around 250 MB) each. I am researching ways to make them accessible to my family through my TNG website. Any suggestions? I have already uploaded the books via FTP to my server. With HTML, I would create a link or add the link via a menu. But I am at a loss on how to do it in TNG. I tried to upload them to the media folder but it would error out due to their size.  (413 Request Entity Too Large) There are other questions but those will wait until I figure out a way to allow the family to either view them in a new window or an option to download them. 

Chris Lloyd

If you have access to Google Drive or Dropbox or Icloud, you could put them there with a link from your TNG site.

Sabot

My issue is that I cant figure out how to create a link to the documents in TNG. Adding it to a menu or putting it in a paragraph? 

Chris Lloyd

You could add it to the notes.

Here's an example from my site:

image.png

Katryne

Hello ! I add my pdf as media. Create a media for a person or a family, choose the pdf on your computer, just as you do  for photos or documents. Then they can be accessed either via the menu link to media or as a media on the person or family page. I can then link the pdf to other families or persons.

Look here : https://genealogie.revestou.fr/

And try the menu links media/histoires-histories or contexte. Some of the links are pdf and you can read them within TNG.

For instance, there is a pdf link in the Context section on this page https://genealogie.revestou.fr/getperson.php?personID=I3623&tree=revesto

And at the bottom of the page displaying the pdf, you can see links to the other persons who have this pdf as media.

Sabot

Excellent, thank you both! What template are you using Katryne? 

I can't upload some PDF's because they are too large for TNG. I am at a loss on how to create a menu link. 

Katryne

Just for you Sabot, I tried to include a pdf located at a distant address : It's just the same, displayed within TNG.

Look here : https://genealogie.revestou.fr/getperson.php?personID=I1210&tree=revesto

You see near the bottom of the page, just before the map, there is a Document section. Clic on the link, and you will see the pdf displayed within TNG. Instead of browsing on the computer for a File to upload , I entered the distant address of the pdf in the field just below. Of course the legend of the field is " File name on site**: " But you can enter there the complete address of any file anywhere !

And you are done ...

My template is NR 19, given away by Marsha to TNG. It's avalaible in any complete zip file of TNG. Mine has been customized by a friend to avoid using distant fonts, since distant Google fonts are not really authorised in Europe (they send visitors personnal data to Google, outside Europe).

My PDF are always compressed : I use online services for that, there are a bunch of them.

Sabot

I am so honored! Many thanks for taking time out of your busy day to assist a complete newbie. Thank you.