TNG Community
rakelbara

Display a random photo

rakelbara

Hello

I was wondering if someone here has figured out how to display a random photo from TNG in the WP installation? I can't figure out how to do it myself, but would love to be able to have that function on my site :)

Best regards
Rakel

PeterC66

Within my WordPress/TNG site I have a little personal Mod that introduces an ability to call getperson.php with the parameter “Random”. I am happy to send you a copy but cannot do much support for it. You can see it in use on my site (hcnhistory.org.uk) by selecting the People/Random Choice menu item. On refreshing, you get a different person each time.

I am sure it could be adapted for a pure TNG site, and to display a random photo, but I have a feeling I was inspired to write it some years ago because some TNG template or site was able to show random photos.

Peter

HeatherFeuer

Hi Rakel,

Go to https://uniquelyyourshosting.net and scroll to the bottom; check bottom right. Is that what you had in mind? I have reworked the TNG Widgets WordPress plugin so that it works independently from the TNG-WordPress plugin. you can download the plugin here: https://uniquelyyourshosting.net/tng-wordpress-plugins/.

rakelbara
2 hours ago, PeterC66 said:

Within my WordPress/TNG site I have a little personal Mod that introduces an ability to call getperson.php with the parameter “Random”. I am happy to send you a copy but cannot do much support for it. You can see it in use on my site (hcnhistory.org.uk) by selecting the People/Random Choice menu item. On refreshing, you get a different person each time.

I am sure it could be adapted for a pure TNG site, and to display a random photo, but I have a feeling I was inspired to write it some years ago because some TNG template or site was able to show random photos.

Peter

Thanks Peter, your solution is certainly interesting but I was looking for more in line with what Heather suggests. But thanks for taking the time to reply to me :)

rakelbara
2 hours ago, HeatherFeuer said:

Hi Rakel,

Go to https://uniquelyyourshosting.net and scroll to the bottom; check bottom right. Is that what you had in mind? I have reworked the TNG Widgets WordPress plugin so that it works independently from the TNG-WordPress plugin. you can download the plugin here: https://uniquelyyourshosting.net/tng-wordpress-plugins/.

Hello Heather

Yes that is exactly what I was looking for. Do you happen to know how I would go about centering the text/image in the widget? Also is it possible to change the language? I use TNG mostly in Icelandic you see :)

HeatherFeuer
1 hour ago, rakelbara said:

Hello Heather

Yes that is exactly what I was looking for. Do you happen to know how I would go about centering the text/image in the widget? Also is it possible to change the language? I use TNG mostly in Icelandic you see :)

Oh. I need to research how to update the plugin for the language variables. As for the centering, in your theme's customizer, add this to the CSS:

.tng-profile-photo { margin-left: 40%!important; }
.tng-profile-years,
.tng-profile-name {text-align: center;}

You can see that change at https://uniquelyyourshosting.net.

rakelbara

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed. It would be great if it could be in a different language though, but this is still excellent 😄

HeatherFeuer

I did find a plugin called Loco Translate. You might try that for now. I have a lot going on, so I don't have a significant block of time at the moment to work on this. I need to read through the Developer's Handbook for WordPress plugins to understand exactly how to code for languages.

I'm glad you like the plugin.

rakelbara

Sorry for being a bother, but I just noticed that the plugin depends on me using the TNG-plugin, which I don't.  Is it complex to change the URL prefx from www.URL.com/database to something else? For me it would be https://www.legstadaleit.com/db/?iframe=www.legstadaleit.com/tng/ because I use an iframe instead of the TNG-plugin. I tried using the plugin, but my site got really really slow so I had to find another solution.Thanks again.

rakelbara

4 minutes ago, klooster said:

There are a lot of random images plug-ins available for Wordpress, check this link for some of the best:

Best random images WP plugin

Yes I know, but I don't know how to pull the name and the birthday and deathdate from the database so that it is displayed with the image, unfortunately.

klooster

Put the name, birthdate and deathdate in te caption of the photos you want to display

rakelbara
Just now, klooster said:

Put the name, birthdate and deathdate in te caption of the photo you want to display

How do I do that for a random photo? is there something I am missing?

klooster

Pick for instance 20 random photos you want to display, in WP make a caption for each of the photos. Use one of the WP random images plugins to display those random 20 photos.

mahesh

I have been using a modified Super transition slideshow on my test site, for a long time. It has been modified to fetch images from a special folder, deceased, in the photo section. Let me know if you are interested.

Ohh..  and My home page uses random photo (deceased only). This embedded as template . I am working on shortcode constructor, at the moment. Perhaps I should add a shortcode for that.

HeatherFeuer

I use an iframe instead of the TNG-plugin.

Oh! You don't need to do that! My sites don't -- you should use the Kloosterman method instead! Do you know how to do that?

klooster

I completely agree:

iFrames are obsolete for page layout. Never use them instead of good CSS layout, even table-based layout is better. 

Good reasons for using iframes are:

• ads: adwords for example uses this technique, it is good for encapsulating - ad css won't destroy your page.
  • hidden iframe: it can be used for hundreds usable things, like tracking, ajax-alternative, etc

If you want to use my integration method, here is the “how to” link:

TNG and WP integration

rakelbara

I use a wp-plugin that is called Advanced Iframes that gives more options than regular iframes. I tried the Kloosterman approach and the TNG plugin and while I can´t remember what was the issue with the Kloosterman approach, the TNG plugin gave me an INCREDIBLY slow site. Like really really REALLY slow. So in the end I went back to this plugin. I am on disability and have limited programming skills and I can't afford to pay to get help and this was the only way I could get things to work.

HeatherFeuer
14 minutes ago, rakelbara said:

I think I couldn't get the Kloosterman method to work...

What theme are you using? It really is quite easy. And TNG plugins will work with it.

If you would like help, I offer integration services here: https://clients.uniquelyyourshosting.biz/order/main/packages/wptngintegration/?group_id=3

klooster

The Kloosterman method of TNG-WP integration is my idea, I developed it in a good working WP-TNG integration with a detailed manual how to install it on my website and on the TNG-WIKI.

I offer het free to use for everyone, so I am a bit surprised to read that you are using my method and asking money for it. 

HeatherFeuer
25 minutes ago, klooster said:

The Kloosterman method of TNG-WP integration is my idea, I developed it in a good working WP-TNG integration with a detailed manual how to install it on my website and on the TNG-WIKI.

I offer het free to use for everyone, so I am a bit surprised to read that you are using my method and asking money for it. 

Oh, Cees... I ONLY charge for the service of setting up the integration for those who either can't get it to work for themselves or don't want to do it themselves. The service also includes a bit more than just setting up the integration. I'm sorry if you misunderstood.

klooster

No problem Heather, thanks for your explanation. I  was just a bit surprised.