TNG Community

Add Person Siblings Row Mod

Michael T. Jones

Michael T. Jones

I saw a forum thread from 2019 where a couple people expressed interest in having the Add Person Siblings Row Mod have the additional capability to show half siblings and step siblings. I also think this would be a great idea if someone has time/interest in extending this mod!

And if anyone is looking at the mod, I would love to have the siblings with the parents rather than the "other events" section. It used to be like that with the currently not updated "Add Parents Children Row" mod. That makes much more sense.

• 4 months later...
Michael T. Jones

I'm revisiting this topic and hoping for some help from the php gurus here on the forum. I was looking at the code in @Robin Richmond's regroup person profile mod which has the capability to show 1/2 siblings. In looking at the sql query near the beginning of the rrGetSiblings function:

$query = "SELECT husband, wife, c.familyID
            FROM $children_table c
                INNER JOIN $families_table f ON f.familyID=c.familyID and f.gedcom=c.gedcom
                WHERE c.personID='$personID'
                ORDER BY parentorder;";

it appears the query will return the family IDs for step-families also (in addition to the person's immediate family and their family of half-siblings); however, the remaining code in the function doesn't capture step-siblings. I'm wondering how hard it would be to modify it to do so? If anyone has interest in taking a look and offering some ideas, I'd be happy to fiddle around with my limited skill set and see if I can make things work.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Michael T. Jones said:

I'm revisiting this topic and hoping for some help from the php gurus here on the forum. I was looking at the code in @Robin Richmond's regroup person profile mod which has the capability to show 1/2 siblings. In looking at the sql query near the beginning of the rrGetSiblings function:

Best place to start is to contact Robin directly.

This link will give you an idea of what he is up to, in regards to updates, deletes etc for his Mods.

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Robin_Richmond_TNGv13_Mods

Drew..

On 6/8/2022 at 11:02 AM, Michael T. Jones said:

I saw a forum thread from 2019 where a couple people expressed interest in having the Add Person Siblings Row Mod have the additional capability to show half siblings and step siblings. I also think this would be a great idea if someone has time/interest in extending this mod!

On 6/8/2022 at 5:29 PM, fluffy82 said:

And if anyone is looking at the mod, I would love to have the siblings with the parents rather than the "other events" section. It used to be like that with the currently not updated "Add Parents Children Row" mod. That makes much more sense.

I use quite a few of Robin's Mods and they are capable of doing what has been mentioned.

For the above to work, you need to have or install the Mod, Regroup Person Profile.
READ what Robin has suggested in regards to this mod working with several other of his Mods, under the section Overlap.
https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Regroup_Person_Profile

If you have Regroup Person Profile installed, go to Admin >>> Setup >>> General Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the page, you will (should see) a folder called Robin's Mods. You can make your edits in the folder, including adding half-siblings with parents etc.

The last pic I have added, shows an exaggeration of my 2 x great grandfather, only because his parents are yet to be confirmed. But it shows all his possible half siblings / half cousins.

EDIT: There was a discussion, sometime ago about step siblings and half siblings. What Mod could do what and what Mod was best to show the relationship etc, but I can't remember when it was talked about.

Drew..

robins mods.jpg

halfsiblings.jpg

GGF.jpg

Edited by edglimited
Added an edit.

Robin Richmond

Thanks for the kind words,  Drew, and thanks for providing some documentation.  I"m sorry that I missed the earlier parts of this thread - especially if you notified me of it.  I'm afraid that I was out of commission for a long while, and have only been back long enough to begin working on TNGv14 upgrades for my mods. Hence, I'm sure that it will be quite a while before I could do anything about half- or step-siblings,

FWIW, I'm very unhappy that I found it necessary to implement siblings and half-sibling through the very invasive Regroup Person Profile mod, and I do intended to revisit the possibility of separating that those features into a mod that could work independently of Regroup Person Profile.  I'll try to look into that again after I get everything working in TNGv14, but I don't have much hope.

I'm not convinced that there's a decent way to display step-siblings, largely because, as I tried to figure out a way to implement them,  they just felt too much like an ambiguous social concept. Here's my logic:

1. I'll start with terminological note: I'm going to use the not-quite-accurate term "marriage" when referring to the TNG Families in which Mom and Dad are identified as wife and husband because a TNG individual also belongs to a "Family" as a child, and because the term "family" can refer to blended families and the like.
  2. I'll refer to the person being profiled in a Person Profile as "Paul" (using a name that begins with "P"), and to Paul's parents "Mom" and "Dad", assuming for the moment that Paul just has one set of parents. After all, Paul could have birth, adoptive, foster, and step parents.
  3. At least in the U.S., "half sibling" is a straightforward genealogy concept in that half siblings have exactly one common birth parent. FWIW, at the moment, I ignore the parent-child relationship type, so, for example, step-children from another of Mom's marriages are treated as Paul's half-siblings, even though they are reall, at best, Paul's step-siblings. I'll get back to this later.
  4. At first glance, step siblings are just the children from other marriages of all of Mom's and Dad's other spouses. But I'm not content with that notion, even as a working definition because "step sibling" is really a social concept, not a genealogical concept. For example,
    1. If Mom and Dad divorce and Paul never sees Mom again, any subsequent children that Mom has would likely be consider to be Paul's step siblings even if Paul never meets them.
    2. If Mom marries "Steve" after being married to Dad, Steve is a Paul's step parent (hence the initial "S") and Paul's children from previous marriages are ostensibly Paul's step-siblings, even if they do ever not live with Mom and Steve.
    3. But what if Steve and Mom get divorced, and Steve later has children with "Olive" (an Other spouse of a step-parent)?
      • If Paul's relationship with Steve is such that Paul is still treated as a member of Steve's blended family, then Steve's and Olive's children would probably be considered to be Paul's step siblings, and Olive's other children (Steve's step-children) could also be considered to be step-siblings.
      • But if Paul and Steve do not have an ongoing relationship, then I would not consider Steve's and Olive's children to be Paul's step siblings
    4. A similar argument applies to children of "Bob", to whom Mom was married before she married Paul.

- Robin

p.s. I need to focus on TNGv14 right now, but after I'm done with that, I plan to say some more about possible enhancements to the existing sibling and step-sibling functionality.

16 hours ago, Robin Richmond said:

I need to focus on TNGv14 right now, but after I'm done with that, I plan to say some more about possible enhancements to the existing sibling and step-sibling functionality.

Thks Robin, appreciate the reply and the input.
Look forward to hearing about any further enhancements, in the near future.

Best Regards

Drew..

Michael T. Jones

Thanks, Drew and Robin. I do understand the half & step children/sibling arena is getting a bit into a niche interest. In an effort to learn something about what really is going on with php/TNG, I've spent some time staring at Robin's mods and done a little cut & paste, also borrowing some code from A. S. Dupree's addin_ospouses function from the Show All Family mod. I've started putting together a modified getperson.php page as I envision things. There is probably a better way to do this (extreme novice here), but I basically copied the "//do parents" section a second time and modified it to show a family with a stepfather and his children. I made a test file with two stepfathers, and it is only displaying the second one (not both). I'm hoping one of you can help give me an idea (even in a general conceptual way) of how to have the code work for multiple stepfathers.

I've attached a screenshot and a file sandbox.txt, which is really getperson.php. (I wasn't able to upload it as a php file)

Comments welcome...

Edit: I’m thinking the fix has to do with line 483

Capture.PNG

sandbox.txt

Michael T. Jones

I'm going to follow up on my own post (is that like talking to yourself?) and mention that I do have a version of this working that shows stepfathers/mothers and their children as half siblings working now. It is definitely a work in progress, but am happy to share with anyone who is interested.

Robin Richmond
On 11/11/2022 at 1:52 PM, Michael T. Jones said:

I'm going to follow up on my own post (is that like talking to yourself?)

:-_)

On 11/11/2022 at 1:52 PM, Michael T. Jones said:

I do have a version of this working that shows stepfathers/mothers and their children as half siblings working now. It is definitely a work in progress, but am happy to share with anyone who is interested. 

I certainly would like to see it, and I'm inclined to suggest that you attach it to a message here. I think that I recall that someone has said that we should not post TNG PHP files (or even mods?) in tng.community. But shoot, mods are all over the TNG wiki, which is no less open than this forum, so I would think that it would be reasonable to post at least the changes you made to getperson.php, and probably a mod.

- Robin

Michael T. Jones

Hi Robin,

I've attached a getperson file which should work - although I'm sure there is a much more efficient way of doing this. I can guarantee there is a lot of extraneous stuff (maybe the size of the file will pose a problem with large databases?) but it does seem to get the job done on my small test database. It needs a lot of cleanup for sure, but happy to have you take a look at it.

It does require the Add Person Siblings Mod to be installed first.

getperson.txt

• 1 month later...

FYI: I am also VERY interested in seeing te half-brothers and -sisters showing up in the "Add person siblings row"  Mod. 

Michael T. Jones

I’m following up on my previous messages on this topic - I have a prototype mod which shows half and step relationships. Send me a message and I can send you a copy if you’re interested.

On 11/14/2022 at 8:01 PM, Robin Richmond said:

I certainly would like to see it, and I'm inclined to suggest that you attach it to a message here. I think that I recall that someone has said that we should not post TNG PHP files (or even mods?) in tng.community. But shoot, mods are all over the TNG wiki, which is no less open than this forum, so I would think that it would be reasonable to post at least the changes you made to getperson.php, and probably a mod.

Robin,

The reason for not posting mods in the TNG Community Forum is that ever since the Mod Manager was provided first as a mod to TNG v7 and later incorporated into TNG v8 is to have a central location that shows all the mods that pertain to a specific TNG version and not go back to mods being provided individual through the forum.

Michael,

Please sent me the Mod Manager cfg file changes you have made to the Add Person Siblings Row mod, which is a mod created by Jeff Robison that I now support.  Robin does not own that mod, although he has include parts of it in his Regroup profile mods that I do not use. I am not particular interested in expanding the scrope of the Add Person Siblings Row mod, but I will take a look at what is involved and whether your changes to the Family section on the Individual Page should be incorporated or made a separate mod

• 1 month later...