TNG Community

MODS not showing descendants

fluffy82

I'm using two mods that add to the descendants tab on the getperson.php: Tables of Descendants and TextPlus Charts.

Neither of them display any children: Tables shows nothing at all, TextPlus shows the focus person, his parents (that's an option I switched on), no children and it says "no spouses" (which is not correct either).

The other, TNG native portions, such as the register or the vertical tree work fine (besides some aesthetic issues, but that's not important now).

I'm using the most recent versions of both mods (13.0.0.2 for the tables, 13.0.0.17b1 for TextPlus), but according to the Wiki these are built for respectively TNG 13.0 and 13.1.0, while I'm using TNG 13.1.2. Might that be the reason why they don't display any children? Is there any chance of them being updated?

It's fairly recent, I can't remember them not working. Having all mods disabled save one of these doesn't change a thing, so it's no mod conflict. My guess it's due to me upgrading from 13.1.0 to 13.1.2?

In attachment 4 views: register and vertical tree which show people, Tables and TextPlus which don't.

descendvert.jpg

register.jpg

tables.jpg

TextPlus.jpg

Tables of Descendants works fine on my V13.1.2... I don't use TextPlus Charts.

Tom,

You need to indicate what PHP version you are using.  What works on PHP 7.4 may not work on PHP 8.1, so answers provided may not be relevant and the mods may not have been updated to support PHP 8.1

Just to add... Tables of Descendants working fine and i am on v13.1.2 and using php 8.1.6

I just installed TextPlus Charts v13.0.0.17b1 and it appears to me it works fine as well. screen shot attached...

Clipboard01.jpg

1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

You need to indicate what PHP version you are using. 

I'm on PHP 8.0.19 (not by choice, it's the only 8.x available on my host; they seem to be upgrading bit by bit though, a couple of weeks ago it was still 8.0.13).

44 minutes ago, stores said:

Just to add... Tables of Descendants working fine and i am on v13.1.2 and using php 8.1.6

21 minutes ago, stores said:

I just installed TextPlus Charts v13.0.0.17b1 and it appears to me it works fine as well. screen shot attached...

Weird... As you can see on the screen shots it doesn't work here.

• it must be something that recently changed, as it was working some time ago (I don't keep track of all pages all the time, I just stumbled upon this per accident)
  • it's not something that's hidden through css (both pages clearly say "0 descendants" and "0s spouses", which is why nothing is shown)
  • it's not a conflict with another mod (uninstalling everything and installing only one of both of these, still results in empty pages)

The only thing I can imagine, is that something went wrong during the import. I did import a new gedcom little over a week ago. But it remains unclear why these two (modded) tabs don't show descendants, while the other (native TNG tabs) show them as they should.

2 hours ago, fluffy82 said:

The only thing I can imagine, is that something went wrong during the import.

I did a new import, but same result... :(

3 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

What works on PHP 7.4 may not work on PHP 8.1

I reverted to PHP 7.4, but same result... No children are shown in these two places.

I downloaded and installed the Tables of descendants mod v13.0.0.2 

It generates several PHP 8.1 warnings which is why I did not include the mod on my production site when I recently upgraded my site to TNG 13.1.2.  So it is possible that some of these warnings might have become fatal errors depending on how the hosting service configures their PHP / MySQLi interface.

Ron Krzmarzick might have forwarded a version that fixed the PHP errors to the mod developer.   I believe Ron is in the process of moving so not likely to post on the forum

On 5/28/2022 at 6:40 PM, Ken Roy said:

Ron Krzmarzick might have forwarded a version that fixed the PHP errors to the mod developer.   I believe Ron is in the process of moving so not likely to post on the forum

Hi Ken,   Still in the packing process yes, but not actually moving until June 30. We will be homeless for a couple weeks until July 15 when our house in AZ is move-in ready.😒 

I am currently using the Wiki version of both mods, but with some private changes including some warning fixes.  People are displaying fine.   I am not seeing any problem with the output screens of either mod in TNG 13.1.2 and PHP 8.0.7.  I  did work on removing some warnings in my personal versions of both mods. and I may have asked the authors to fix.   There are still a few warnings remaining in Tables of Descendants which I didn't resolve.

However, the current Wiki versions do work OK without any modifications also, just some PHP 8.x warnings, ..nothing fatal on my 'clean' TNG 13.1.2 site. I should add that this is on a Windows 11 test laptop, where Laragon local host migrated easily without any install required, simply copying the folder of TNG and Laragon files onto the same folder location on this new (actually used $299) thinkpad T480.  T480 is the oldest thinkpad that will run Windows 11 cleanly because of the requirement of the Trusted Platform Module (TPM), Secured Boot, and GPT vs. MBR partitions.  I know, TMI.

On 5/29/2022 at 1:40 AM, Ken Roy said:

So it is possible that some of these warnings might have become fatal errors depending on how the hosting service configures their PHP / MySQLi interface.

I'm not sure if the problem is a fatal error in the coding. First of all, it seems to work with several other people. And also: the page doesn't break or anything. It displays correctly, but with a count of "0" (zero). If the coding was off I would expect the page to freeze or not load properly, or don't show any results at all. It does show results: no children/spouses found.

This reminds me of a problem I had with another mod, showing the earliest ancestors ("patriarch" and "matriarch"). For some people (though not all), it showed nothing. As if the person in question had no parents.

This, together with the fact that only the two mods break in the descendants tabs but not the TNG pages, makes me think there's a problem with the way the parent/child relationship is defined within the code - in which native TNG explores all possibilities but the mods only some.

When I go to the "edit person" page of one of the children, the relationship "type" with the parents is empty. This is weird, as my master tree (on FTM) says they are natural parents (birth parents). I thought maybe the mods only include birth parents, and as the relation is empty it doesn't pick them up? I did change it into "birth parents" for all three children though, but nothing happened. So maybe this is not the problem after all?

Another observation: referring to the screenshots above, the person that has "no children and no spouses" (while in reality he has 4 children with 3 spouses) does show his parents. So the mod knows and recognises there is a parent/child and a husband/wife relationship between them. When I go to the father's profile and go to his descendants, I get the same result. No spouses, no children. While his spouse and his child (one of his children) were displayed on the other page.

I'm flabbergasted.

12 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Tom,

To eliminate being flabbergasted, there are 2 mods that you should consider.

I did. There's a bunch of warnings about undefined variables ($cms, $sitever, $templatepath --> all on index.php) but those don't seem to affect the functioning of the site. I don't use a template as I'm on WordPress, so an empty templatepath is normal. I don't know what the other two are for.

The only "fatal error" I get, is:

[26-May-2022 03:35:37 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Unparenthesized `a ? b : c ? d : e` is not supported. Use either `(a ? b : c) ? d : e` or `a ? b : (c ? d : e)` in /var/www/vhosts/huygens-vandemoortel-ancestry.be/httpdocs/tng_11/place_map.php on line 219

Which explains why the Place Map doesn't load :) 

There is nothing referring to neither the getperson.php, the rrtextplus_descend.php nor the descendtables.php

Hi Fluffy,

Since PHP 7.4 nested inline operations need brackets on each operation to ensure the whole operation is handled correct, you need to add parentheses around your code.

I personally do not use the Place Map mod, so you have to check line 219 in place_map.php yourself and make the necessary modification.