TNG Community

Question for Mod Developers regarding their "TNG User sites using this mod"

JMM

Hello, all.

This question is for Mod Developers.

Most mods have a section at the bottom titled "TNG User sites using this mod", and over the years I've added my site to that section.

In the past day or so, I've started to remove my site from mod pages that I no longer use, either because those mods have become redundant, or I no longer have use for those mods.

But before I go any further with removing my site, what do you Mod Developers prefer?  Do you prefer to have our sites listed that only currently use your mods?  Or do you prefer sites that have used your mods in the past as well, to indicate how useful your mods were to us at one time?

By us removing our sites from mod pages of mods that we no longer use for whatever reason, if everyone did that, it would indicate that those mods don't look very useful, when in fact at one time those mods could've had hundreds of users 😎.

Your thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

John

John,

Thanks for updating the mods you use.  The following is my 2 cents (likely a nickel now due to inflation.)

I do not think it is necessary to remove the entry from the Sites using table if a mod is now obsolete because it became part of TNG, like the Age Calculation Mod or because the developer no longer supports the mod.

If the mod is still actively supported and you no longer use, then it make sense to delete  or remove your entry from the table.

Michel KIRSCH

I agree with Ken.
However, I'd much rather have a user who subscribes to the list and doesn't unsubscribe when he doesn't use the mod anymore,
than a user who uses the mod without subscribing to the list...
The questions mod creators should be able to answer are:
- Is this mod useful to the community?
- Should I make efforts to improve or maintain it?
These questions can ONLY be answered by the mod's user list...
Thanks to you for keeping your lists up to date. It is exemplary...

Michel

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Michel I just tried (4 times) to do my duty on your Add cloud of name and was not able to do so because of a " Invalid response from server. " issue after entering the datas of my 2 sites.

1 hour ago, Katryne said:

Michel I just tried (4 times) to do my duty on your Add cloud of name and was not able to do so because of a " Invalid response from server. " issue after entering the datas of my 2 sites.

Katryne,

Are you using Edit Source (WikiEditor) or Edit (VisualEditor) ?

Hi Ken. I used the Edit one. But I  have already used it other times. Maybe my firefox has decided something for me. I will try with SMK.

It is the same with SMK and Firefox, the entries seem not be ... entered, with the "invalid response from server" message, but in fact they have been actually registered.

Well, I always use Edit Source.  I believe the Visual Editor is mainly JavaScript driven and did not do what I want in most cases and often has delayed response. 

I find it easier to copy and paste table entries with Edit Source and the edit them to the correct content.  Maybe that is because I now live in a digital have not area (25 mbs) vs 150 mbs with fiber optics when I was living in Texas before August 2015

A belated thank you, Ken & Michel, for your thoughts, it is appreciated.

Have yourselves a great week.

Regards, John

• 2 months later...

Here are my two cents--now adjusted for $1.53...

In each case I have used a particular mod, I have gone into edit mode and added my information on the Wiki page.  This has been using the source editor--and I have experience with that as a Wikipedia contributor/editor.  Incredibly, the 'visual' WYSIWYG is a little less transparent--having to learn the idiosyncrasies of the editor UX and behaviors.  

TNG has a pretty large complement of reasonably tech-savvy users--and structure and design require a bit of tech acumen.  This starts with standing up a site on a web host in the first order.  Not an easy thing for the average armchair genealogist.  

There is no notice in the mod pages to leave user information--rather it is the footer finish.  If someone downloads a mod--what enticement is there to leave their site--and deal with the matters of entering or updating their information?  Sadly, I have not updated my TNG or mod versions over time.  Or that this user is even interested or competent to do so?

Then, even for those of us who do so, who is thinking about or interested in updating the version(s) information of TNG or the mod?  A completely different and smaller subset of the original editors.

Unfortunately if the TNG users do not update the TNG Wiki mod pages to indicate they are using a mod, then when one tries to convince Darrin that he should incorporate a given mod into TNG one has limited success when few users show as using the mod and more so if no one else has requested that Darrin make the mod part of TNG.

Unfortunately if the TNG users do not update the TNG Wiki mod pages to indicate they are using a mod, then when one tries to convince Darrin that he should incorporate a given mod into TNG one has limited success when few users show as using the mod and more so if no one else has requested that Darrin make the mod part of TNG.

And therein lies the rub...  In sociology, we call this matter "latency", or to define, unintended consequences of any process or change.  

Darrin could likely elaborate, but again I feel that the 'hard core' of TNG enthusiasts are relatively tech-savvy.  This medium and the L-serve mailing list seem to confirm that.  TNG is something that you get a degree of competence at--or you don't have a site using it.  We need to call out the heart of this thing--those that write mods and respond to questions.  That is hard to keep up with year after year.  As with any avocation, genealogy gets boring and we need a rest...

Perhaps the use of popups on a wiki mod page might entice some to leave info.  But truly, until the Wikimedia platform allows a reminder popup after a download--and a friendly GUI to enter user data, not much is going to change.

As it is, the best result for incorporation in future versions is the L-serve list--which Darrin monitors.  Again, this is diminutive in the face of those who elect for the Community Forum and its simplicity.  No easy answers...

On 8/3/2022 at 8:33 PM, PapaTango said:

Perhaps the use of popups on a wiki mod page might entice some to leave info.  But truly, until the Wikimedia platform allows a reminder popup after a download--and a friendly GUI to enter user data, not much is going to change.

I have zero interest in adding my site to  Mod download page just to try the mod out and see if I like it, or worse yet if I'm trying to help someone with the Mod.

I don't know what the answer is, but making someone enter their usage details at the time of download isn't it.

Roger

17 minutes ago, theKiwi said:

I have zero interest in adding my site to  Mod download page just to try the mod out and see if I like it, or worse yet if I'm trying to help someone with the Mod.

I don't know what the answer is, but making someone enter their usage details at the time of download isn't it.

Roger,

I fully agree.   I have in the past downloaded mods under development to help the Mod Developer with the mod.  If I decide to use the mod, I will update the Sites Using table, but if I choose not to use the mod, I will simply uninstall it. so  so    so .
Unfortunately, users also do not let Darrin know that they would like to see a particular capability or mod become part of TNG