TNG Community

Can’t access Administration page

Richard Wilmoth

Richard Wilmoth

I recently transferred my TNG site to a different hosting service (simplyhosting.net). My TNG pages are working fairly well in that I can access most of the people, places, etc.

However, I can NOT access the Administrative page. I can login to the Home page but when I select the Administration button, I get the following error:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

i have verified that the user account that I’m logging in with has “admin” privileges.  I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Richard Wilmoth

Note that the error_log shows many PHP warnings about undefined constants in various php routines and 

count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

warnings in genlib.php. 

Richard,
     It appears that you are running TNG 11.1.2.  The many PHP warnings are caused by that version of TNG not being supported on or compatible with current versions of PHP.  You will need to upgrade TNG in order to resolve those issues.  The error that you are getting when logging in to the admin section may be related to that incompatibility.

Brent

Rob Severijns

Richard,

I see you are using TNG 11.1.2

What PHP version are you using (see cPanel) ?

This is most likely the cause of the multiple PHP errors so try downgrading your PHP version or upgrade your TNG version.

Regarding the accessing of the admin page. Did you try creating a new account (admin) via cPanel and login via that account to see if that works?

Most of the pages seem to load correct but you do need to edit your Google map data and Captcha data.

I also noticed that there are several icons missing in your dropdown menu's

Richard Wilmoth

PHP:  My PHP server is running 7.3.33 which is the same version I was using on the previous hosting service.  However, there are a lot of "Options" that I can select/unselect for the current server, so maybe one of those could make a difference.

mySQL:  my previous mySQL was 5.7.23-23.  The current version is 10.3.34-MariaDB-log-cll-lve but I'm not aware of whether I have options.

As for upgrading TNG, I suspect that may be more difficult without access to the Administrative page.  I had a few MODS installed that normally should be uninstalled before any upgrades, so I might have to start with a virgin copy of TNG and tediously bring in all the changes/customizations I had done. Before I do something like that, I may have to just do a file-by-file comparison between a virgin copy of TNG 11.1.2.  I may try an SSH login to see if the current hosting server has diff/ediff or something similar that I can access.

The other issues with Google maps and Captcha can be tackled later.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Richard Wilmoth

Thanks, Brent, I'll take a look at the permissions.  It's certainly possible that in copying files from my old hosting site that I didn't retain all the permissions correctly.

In the meantime, I'm also pursuing a clean installation of TNG 13.1.2.

Richard

edglimited
On 5/15/2022 at 7:14 AM, Richard Wilmoth said:

PHP:  My PHP server is running 7.3.33 which is the same version I was using on the previous hosting service.  However, there are a lot of "Options" that I can select/unselect for the current server, so maybe one of those could make a difference.

mySQL:  my previous mySQL was 5.7.23-23.  The current version is 10.3.34-MariaDB-log-cll-lve but I'm not aware of whether I have options.

As for upgrading TNG, I suspect that may be more difficult without access to the Administrative page.  I had a few MODS installed that normally should be uninstalled before any upgrades, so I might have to start with a virgin copy of TNG and tediously bring in all the changes/customizations I had done. Before I do something like that, I may have to just do a file-by-file comparison between a virgin copy of TNG 11.1.2.  I may try an SSH login to see if the current hosting server has diff/ediff or something similar that I can access.

The other issues with Google maps and Captcha can be tackled later.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The PHP that you are using, is what's called a bare-bones setup. As you have said, there are many options left unticked. Depending on what your Operating Software is on you're Puter and the programs that it runs, will determine those boxes being ticked or left blank. You can tweak some, (but not all) but Proceed With Caution. If you have moved across as you say, there should be an option, whereby you can reset you're current version of PHP, to work with any new settings, ie; the move across, a new Database being setup, or a change in PHP, from 7.2 to 7.34 for example. You can also flush your Database cache as well, if you already didn't know.

As far as your Database goes, yes that can also be tweaked, via AdminPHP, but again Caution.. My suggestion would be read how first, then read it again, two more times.

Drew..

Richard Wilmoth

To all:

PHP has now been dropped back to 7.1.1.

The login problem was a .htaccess file in the admin directory that required login by a user that didn’t get carried over when I copied my site to the new hosting service. So you were collectively pointing in the right directions.

Thanks for the responses.