TNG Community

Installing wamp server and TNG

BobD

I had an operating local server on my computer when it crashed.  When restoring my backup image didn't work, I decided to start over.  I reinstalled the latest Visual C ++, the latest wampserver v3.2.6, and TNGv13.1.2. I can connect the localhost/DSMtree/readme.html and follow the steps to Step 7 and then it stops.  I think I remember from the past, I need to do something to phpmyadmin in wamp but can't remember what.  Can anyone out there help me ??  I've been trying for a week and can't get it to work.

BobD

Bob,

You may want to use the following WampServer site and download the Checks VC++ packages installed

If you do not have all the correct VC++ Redistribution packages, then WampServer will  not work correctly.  The VC++ Redistribution packages must be installed before you install WampServer.

If you have to Uninstall the WampServer, make sure you copy your files and databases to some location because the Uninstall from Microsoft Program Uninstall will delete the whole directory structure and then you are missing your web site data and databases.

3 hours ago, BobD said:

I can connect the localhost/DSMtree/readme.html and follow the steps to Step 7 and then it stops

You do need to create the TNG database before you run the full install, but if you have a backup of your database in the wamp64\bin\mysql\mysql5.7.nn\data folder you might be able to recover and use is.  See Database - Creating  for instructions on creating a local site database.

It finally looks like I got everything working except when I try to import my gedcom from my website, I get the error message " Your 'gedcom' folder may have inadequate permissions (try 755 or 777). "

Ken,

I'm using TNG v3.2.6  and php 7.4.26. 

I got my local server up and running. I just wanted to import the gedcom to make it both sites current .

Bob

Bob,

An import will not make your local site the same as your production site if you are using cemeteries and branches to name only 2 of the features not supported by export / import

it is better to backup your data on the production site using the Admin > Utilities and then FTPing the backups to your local site and using the Admin > Utilities to restore the database entries.

If you use Reports based on custom event IDs, you need to restore the custom event table before doing an import otherwise your reports will not work when you restore the reports table.

Ken,

I have 5 users on my online account but my local server has only 1. I did what you suggested but it didn't fix my problem. I still have only 1 user. Something is missing from my online backups.

Bob

Bob,

It TNG Admin > Users shows 5 users, then you should go to Admin > Utilities and Backup the user table, FTP that backup to your local server and restore it

The backup files are essentially CSV files so you should be able to view them.

Of course if your online site and local servers are not at the same TNG versions, you may need to upgrade your online site to get the new user privilege that was added in TNG 13.1 that might have prevented the restore.

Bob,

If your production site is TNG 12.3, you could download the full install for TNG 12.3 and overlay your local computer with TNG 12.3 and then plan to upgrade both sites.

Ken,

I did whet you suggested and reinstalled both my online and local server to the same version of TNG v12.3.0.  Both seem to be working except my local server version opens to a different home page after login. When I login to my localhost the page (Localhost/DSMtree/admin_main.php) comes up to mainmenu1. When I change it to (Localhost/DSMtree/admin.php) it comes up mainmenu2. See attachments. My online site comes up mainmenu2 all the time.

BobMainMenu1.jpgMainMenu2.jpg

did you change our TNG domain in Admin > Setup > General Settings in the Site Design section.

Sorry but I am completely confused.  I have no clue as to what you mean by mainmenu1 and mainmenu2.  It is almost impossible to debug sites from screen captures

Also admin_main.php  is not a valid TNG URL but rather the button frame on the Admin Home page. the URL should be http://Localhost/DSMtree/admin.php

Bob,

Not really since I do not understand what the problem.  Sorry, I did not go back and re-read the whole thread.

As I have said before the correct URL to access the Admin Home page is .../admin.php.

Maybe you should open a new thread and describe what your problem is.  I have a feeling we are not talking about TNG and WampServer

Ken,

I took some new screen prints that I hope will clear the confusion

After I log in, the screen goes to the mainmenu1-1 (my name for that screen print) and the URL line reads http://localhost/DSMtree/admin_main.php. If I change the URL

to http://localhost/DSMtree/admin.php (what you say it should be),  the second screen mainmenu2-1 (my name for that screen print) comes up as you say the URL should be.

I've also included a picture of some of the files that were unzipped from TNG v12.3.0 to my computer, with my File Explorer, and also exist on my Web site to help clarify what I'm asking. Hope this makes it clearer.

Bob

MainMenu1-1.jpg

MainMenu2-1.jpg

Unzipped TNG v12.3 files on my compyter.jpg

Bob,

do have any mods installed?  The URL to access the Administration page should NOT be  http://localhost/DSMtree/admin_main.php 

If you are logged in and click the Administration link in the Info pull down it should go to http://localhost/DSMtree/admin.php 

What mods do you have installed and what manual changes have you made to TNG files?

Then I certainly do not understand where your URL for the TNG Admin hope page using admin_main.php comes from since it has been admin.php since the time that Darrin eliminated the Admin folder and put all the files in the TNG root folder.

The fact that this is on a local computer means we cannot access your site.

Maybe someone else has some ideas.