TNG Community
afriedlos

Calendar not showing

afriedlos

I've been trying to figure this out for at least a full day...hopefully someone else can see what I am missing.

*I am not new to coding, though I am new to this ware.

My site is not displaying the calendar at all. It's not giving me any errors that I can see, it's just a blank page. My template is customized, but I've tried it with other templates and the problem remains. If I remove my data, the calendar displays (albeit with nothing on it), but as soon as I upload my gedcom, it disappears again. This happens regardless of browser, template, OS. There is no script error, so I'm guessing it's either css (unlikely since it occurs no matter what template I use) or it's a database issue. I can use the dates and anniversaries page, though...all the info displays there properly.

Am I missing something in how to setup the calendar? From everything I've read, it doesn't require me to customize anything?

***EDIT: Just deleted my gedcom..again. Tried to manually add myself and it did it again! But only for the month in which I was born. Is it because I am alive?

Using v13.
Link to my site

edglimited

No idea to be honest, never ever seen my Calendar until 20mins ago ūü§£...¬† @bhemph¬† Brent or @Ken Roy¬† Ken maybe able to throw some light on "why" etc.

Best of luck..Drew

Katryne

The issue may be related to the way dates are entered. Have a look at this wiki article : https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Dates

Most of the inconsistencies I had to correct in my datas came from gedcoms imported from other genealogists of my family : dates, names, places were not correctly entered.

afriedlos

Thank you kindly! Unfortunately, it's not due to the date format, since I run into the same issue whether I enter records manually or import a gedcom. I've already checked to make sure the format is correct (DD MMM YYYY) in the miscellaneous settings. I'm baffled...

What's weird is that the calendar will show if there are no records at all, but as soon as one gets entered, the calendar breaks. I'm wondering if there's a permission issue or something, but I haven't been able to track anything down. I configured the server myself so it's the only thing I can think of that might make my installation different than standard.  

Right now, my gedcom is loaded so all the months are not displaying (it breaks only if a record is being called). When I reset the db tables, I manually entered my own record. My birthday is in January, so all months of the calendar except January showed.  It's the weirdest thing.

Again, thanks so much for taking a look!

Katryne

Personnally, I enter dates this way : 15 MAY 2022 , then click on the arrow to get to the next field, when I see that now the date is displayed like that : 15 May 2022, I know that TNG has registred it as a date. Mind the low cases in the month, instead of upper case.

afriedlos

Yeah, it's definitely not a date formatting issue. I have tried this in a variety of ways and deleted my gedcom out about 15 times. HA! :)

Error reporting doesn't give me anything, it only happens if there are records for that particular month...I've been a programmer most of my adult life and it's completely confusing me. I'm 100% certain it is something very simple...a css issue or permissions, for example. Nevertheless, I cannot get my brains to identify it. 

I think at this point, I am going to completely start over (fresh install of TNG and new db). I probably did something stupid along the way and monkeyed it up, only to have forgotten what I changed. 

I manually created this webserver on Google Compute Engine, so it works a little differently than a pre-built webserver and I've convinced myself it's something I messed up. I'm a programmer not a sysadmin, so surely it stands to reason. 

afriedlos

Well, I built a new lamp stack on a fresh VM with a clean copy of TNG and a new db. 

I manually entered in myself with a birth date of 03 JAN 1977 (and did as Katryne suggested and let TNG change it when I tabbed to 3 Jan 1977).  Still broke the January calendar.  Months without data show the calendar still, but as soon as data becomes part of the equation, the calendar breaks.

I was sure this was something I messed up when building the stack, but it looks like it's not a configuration, css, or db issue. 

At a loss here... 

bhemph

The page generation is hitting a fatal PHP error and stopping part way through outputting the page.  What version of PHP are you running?  Can you locate the PHP error logs and tell what error you are getting there?  All I can tell is that it should be somewhere between line 56 and line 365, which is a lot of code to cover.

Brent

RickM

Could you provide your calendar.php file..

might be able to determine the issue from that..

PS Lim

Please check if you have the following module activated in php: mb_strlen I got the same issue but it was sorted out once it is added.