TNG Community
mowog

Moved my site to a different domain but can't get to admin area now

mowog

I moved my site to a different domain name and now I can't get into the admin area using the new domain.   I'm not sure how to fix this so if anyone has ideas, please let me know.

Chris Lloyd

Did you correct your path in the config.php?

Approximately line 54 for the the rootpath.and line 58 for the domain, If you didn't, are you able to access the site using FTP? If you can download the config.php file and correct it using a text editor such as notepad++ and then upload it.

mowog

Great!  I can get to the line via FTP and make the changes.    Thanks for your quick response!

mowog

Ok, I made the changes in the config.php file but I still get the following error:

Error: TNG is not communicating with your database. Please check your database settings and try again. Settings can be found under Admin/Setup/General Settings/Database, or at the top of your config.php file.

I can see the database settings in config.php are the same as they are in the previous domain.   Any other ideas?

Ken Roy
2 hours ago, mowog said:

I can see the database settings in config.php are the same as they are in the previous domain

Are you on the same host or a different host?  If on a different hosting service, what are their requirements for database names

mowog

Thanks Ken.

I moved my entire Wordpress website including TNG (which is a folder within my Wordpress site) from one SiteGround hosting account to another SiteGround hosting account.   I only changed the domain name when I did this.

jrueger

Did you actually move the TNG database too when you moved to the new hosting account?  Maybe there actually isn't a database and that's why you get the message.  Moving the database would be different than moving the website I suspect.  I'm not sure exactly what is entailed in moving from one SiteGround account to another ... perhaps SiteGround support can help.

mowog

Thanks!

I moved the entire website which included TNG in a subfolder.   What I DIDN"T do was change the database name, username, and password in the config.php file to reflect the new database at the new site.   I just changed all the information and it's now working.

I appreciate everyone's help on this.