TNG Community

How do cemeteries work?

fluffy82

I recently started creating and using the cemeteries option in TNG.

How exactly does that work? I can create cemeteries, but I can only link them to either 1 single tomb, or 1 general place without details.

For example: I have 5 ancestors who are buried at the City Cemetery of Brussels, but I don't know where exactly. I create the cemetery, link it to the place "City Cemetery of Brussels", and all 5 show up.
But I also have 2 people for whom I do know the location. They are buried in plot 55 and in plot 846 of the same City Cemetery of Brussels. They don't show up.

If I want plot 55 to show in the results, I need to link the cemetery to the place "Plot 55, City Cemetery of Brussels". But in that case, all others stop showing.

Is there a way to include everyone in one cemetery? Not only people buried at "City Cemetery of Brussels", but also those buried at "Plot 55, City Cemetery of Brussels" or "Plot 846, City Cemetery of Brussels"?

I hope I'm being clear enough, let me know if this confuses you.

Also important to know: I really really really want to keep the place details in the placename, not in the notes. This to be completely aligned with other places, and to be able to pinpoint each plot (if known) on a map separately from the others, rather than just showing the general cemetery. 

1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

Tom,

You might want to read the Cemeteries page in the How TNG Works category

I did, but it doesn't really help me. It doesn't say how I can use part of a Place Name as "Associated Place" rather than the full place name. Which implies it's not possible (rendering the cemeteries function useless). I was just hoping I overlooked something and someone here had a creative solution...

3 hours ago, fluffy82 said:

It doesn't say how I can use part of a Place Name as "Associated Place" rather than the full place name.

That is correct, it is not possible.  Cemeteries are associated with the full place name

33 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Cemeteries are associated with the full place name

So the only way to show burials in the same cemetery grouped together would be to create a fake burial event for each of them, with an incomplete place name which I use to associate with the cemetery, and which is somehow hidden on the person profile (the profile should only show the real burial event with the complete place name).

Not ideal... But better than nothing.

Or use just the cemetery place name as the Place Name in your database and link it to the cemetery - then put the location information inside the cemetery as a Memo/Note for that place name.

Then all burials are grouped in the Cemeteries displays by the cemetery, with notes showing the specific detail.

If you link a media item to the burial or the person, you can individually geocode those to more accuratelony show the location within in the cemetery. Take a look at this page

http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/headstones.php?country=New+Zealand&state=West+Coast&county=&city=Karamea&tree=

on my site - all of that is exported out of Reunion by GEDCOM file to TNG.

Roger

4 hours ago, theKiwi said:

Or use just the cemetery place name as the Place Name in your database and link it to the cemetery - then put the location information inside the cemetery as a Memo/Note for that place name.

That's what I wanted to avoid... I try to have my tree as uniform as possible. For sorting, grouping and geolocating reasons, all buildings, addresses, streets, locations, etc are in the place field. It would be very sad to make tombs an exception to that... It would also mess up sorting. I have one tomb, believe it or not, with 24 "occupants". In the same cemetery, there's other tombs with one or more people in them. I want them to be visually grouped, not all in the same place with a note attached to it. Geocoding the tombs themselves within the cemetery is less important.

But if that's the only way, I'll live with it.

• 2 months later...

I understand the concept of "cemeteries" being different from "burial places" - thank you for the relevant link to https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Cemeteries. Permit me to put the question a bit differently:

Usually when a person dies he or she is buried at the graveyard after a funeral service in Town A.. TNG documents this. But what if the person is cremated and the urn later on is placed in the graveyard maybe even in Town B. An example: My mother died 19.03.2012 and there was a funeral service on the 25.3.2012 at the local church (Town A). This is documented in TNG as the burial date and place - and consequently shows on the cemetery page of that particular churchyard.  But she was cremated after the funeral service and on the 12.05.2012 her urn was placed in the grave beside my father in another part of the country (Town B), where he died and was buried. When I want to display this churchyard (Town B), where they both are buried - my father in a coffin and my mother in an urn - only my father shows up. For me a cemetery can consist as well of graves with coffins and with urns.

I've tried using the event CREM and the name of the cemetery where the urn was put to the grave - but it did not show.

My question is, how is it possible to show the different kinds of burial on the cemetery. I gather that some code in the showmap.php has to be changed to make it possible  - maybe a mod?

Thank you in advance.

Chr. Reventlow,
Denmark

13 hours ago, Reventlow said:

An example: My mother died 19.03.2012 and there was a funeral service on the 25.3.2012 at the local church (Town A). This is documented in TNG as the burial date and place - and consequently shows on the cemetery page of that particular churchyard.  But she was cremated after the funeral service and on the 12.05.2012 her urn was placed in the grave beside my father in another part of the country (Town B), where he died and was buried.

In this example then it's not correct to say your Mum was buried in Town A - I'd create a new event called Funeral and list that information there.

Then you can use the Burial event for where her ashes were buried

You might want to also add a Cremation event to indicate where and when that happened too.

Roger