TNG Community
fluffy82

tables crashed

fluffy82

So... I've been having some trouble lately with my website being unavailable from time to time.

I thought the issue was PHP 7 vs PHP 8 and WordPress plugins or TNG mods not being adapted, but it continues to be weird. The site first works, then it doesn't, an hour later it works again, the next day it suddenly stops again... Until it completely crashed this morning. All was perfectly fine, and then I got a white screen and a 504 server error completely out of the blue.

Someone told me to check the database tables and repair them. I admit I regularly optimise, but never repair. Going to MySQL the repair process (of the whole database) froze. I started over, doing table per table, and the problem lies with three of them: citations, families and people. They don't do anything. I can't open, can't repair, can't optimise, can't truncate, can't copy, can't rename, I can't even delete them (no worries, I know how to recreate them). They are totally inaccessible.

Any tips on how to get them working again?

I don't care about the content - I regularly empty (truncate) them before a new gedcom import and all information in my tree is in there. The only table that would be really bad to lose is the Places table, as I geocoded 5.000 places by hand in TNG, not in my main app.

fluffy82

After waking up this morning, they worked again. And all the commands I gave last night but didn't work, were executed (including truncating most tables and deleting one - no worries, I just restored it). So it seems like there was some kind of huge delay in the server accessing the database and carrying out instructions. I'll probably need to get in touch with my provider about that...