TNG Community

Add Outside Information

wbentel

I have received many pages of notes and information from a German Genealogist over the years. Part of it tells a story. where can I put that in TNG. I would need to cut and paste the information. Thanks.

In the file you copied them from - did you do Step 1 - make a copy of the file and give it a new name?

Step 2 - remove the last 2 lines that you quote above from the file?

Then put in your content.

If you're struggling with this, it's probably easier to do it through the TNG Admin ------> Media ------> Histories ------> Add New

Roger

7 hours ago, wbentel said:

Ok I am going to be rela duimb here. i have tried to add new to the history in tng media histories add new. Nothing there to show me how or get started.

Did you look at this page https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Histories_-_Creating which talks about creating a history - especially if you first create what you want to say in say Microsoft Word and then paste it into the Body Text box on the page.

And from the "Help for this Area" link on the Add New Media page

OR Body Text

Instead of uploading a physical file, you can type or paste the text or HTML code into this box. You can also use the controls at the top of the Body Text field to add formatting to your text. Hold your mouse pointer over the various control icons to see what you can do.

Try it and see what happens.

Roger

On 2/26/2022 at 11:02 PM, theKiwi said:

Did you look at this page https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Histories_-_Creating which talks about creating a history - especially if you first create what you want to say in say Microsoft Word and then paste it into the Body Text box on the page.

And from the "Help for this Area" link on the Add New Media page

Try it and see what happens.

Roger

I have put my information into an Album and it seems to suit the purpose. Thanx. How in the hell do you create a history file? When you go into admin, history disappears from the menu. Thanx again. BTW how do I find the number of visitors. Triple thanx.

Il y a 18 heures , wbentel said:

How in the hell do you create a history file? When you go into admin, history disappears from the menu.

Hello !

Histories are but a kind of medias. You can create a media from within the TNG admin. And save it into the history folder.

Generally I start from a person editing page, add a media with the add media button in the menu., choose to put it in the Histories collection folder and enter the history content in the body text field. There  is a toolbar that allows you to structure the text and make it more pleasant to read. You can add images, integrate a pdf or even write directly in html if that's your thing.

A story can be associated with a person, a family, and even a place and when it is displayed, the list of these people, families and places with links to their respective pages will be available at the bottom of the page.

The stories are accessible from the public media menu and on the admin side, from the Media menu link. If you only want to see Stories listed, choose Stories from the collections drop-down menu.

I am just starting to use this type of media well. Here is the link to the media on my public site. It's all in French, but you can get an idea of the possibilities. Be careful, switching from one language to another sometimes gives display errors. https://genealogie.revestou.fr/browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=histories

Take a look at this story in particular : https://genealogie.revestou.fr/showmedia.php?mediaID=632