TNG Community
John Paul

Google Maps

John Paul

Gooday Everyone.  I'm new to this setting up google maps in tng.  But here's what I've done so far.

Searched the wiki, there's about a million references to google maps, but I found the getting started guide.

Logged into my google account and made it to the google cloud platform.  I created an api key and set the restrictions to http referrers both my live site and my local host. I enabled the 3 keys ( Maps JavaScript API , Geocoding API and Places API ).  This where I get confused.  Do I use the api key I generated for all this?

I added the code to the map settings in admin and followed what it said in the guide. 

So now what do I do?  what mod(s) do I need to install?  Do I need to do more in my project at google?  I hope someone could help me out here, in newbie terms.  Like I said I'm totally new to this.  The only experience I've had with google maps is getting driving directions somewhere.

Any help here would be very much appreciated,

JP

EDIT:  I found papa tango's google maps tutorial and followed it to the t and downloaded and installed the person map mod to do a little testing.  If you have any more ideas/suggestions please feel free to let me know.  Thanks

Edited by John Paul
Update

Sabot

Good afternoon John Paul,

Could you help a fellow newbie? I believe that I followed the guide but my heat map is not working. Do you have a link(s) to the tutorial and the like? Thank you for your time!

Michael

Rob Severijns

Sabot,

Here's a link to a tutorial though you may already have seen this. Google_Maps_-_Getting_Started

Did you geolocate all of the places in your database? Google_Maps_-_Geocoding_Places

A useful mod for geolocating is Geocode_Assistant

Did you you use the Person Map Mod?

As with all mods you need to be sure to use the version compatible with your version of TNG

If you have a link to your website we might be able to have a better look.

Telling us which version of TNG you are using and which PHP version would be helpfull too.

This also applies to mod versions you are using in relation to a certain problem/question.

EDIT:

Since you're new to TNG I 'd like to advise you to read te links on this page: Security_related_links

John Paul
16 hours ago, Sabot said:

Good afternoon John Paul,

Could you help a fellow newbie? I believe that I followed the guide but my heat map is not working. Do you have a link(s) to the tutorial and the like? Thank you for your time!

Michael

I wish I could, Sabot.  I've been working on other projects lately and my google cloud thing expired on me and I don't know when I'll be able to straighten it out.  Sorry

Sabot

Thank you all for your assistance! 

My issue is indeed in part, not having any locations. I installed both mods. Should the places lat/long be empty after running the mod? When I click on any one of the lines and edit, a new window pops up with the correct lat/long in it.

Places.png

Geocode Assistant.png

Rob Severijns

Sabot,

When in edit mode, once you have a lat/long, save the place and it will become visible on the person map.

I can advise you to come up with some kind of a naming convention for the way places are registered in TNG database.

I myself use (place / province / country) but there are several more formats possible. That's entirely up to you.

It does make finding duplicats and autofill more easy if the format is the same for all places

Katryne

Hello ! If it can help : I do use the mod OSM Automatic Geocoding by Michel Kirsch. I works with Google Maps as well as with Open Street Maps. (personnally, I use OSM mod instead of Google maps).

The mod finds all my geolocations, except for my sailors who died "at sea"...  Some difficulties, though, might arise, according to the way the places are entered.

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/OSM_Automatic_Geocoding

Sabot

You're awesome! Thank you for pointing out the Place Level. Now the pin shows on the map. A quick question, will I need to manually set the place level on each of my 900 locations? Thanks again for helping the newbie out! 

image.png

Ken Roy

There might be some reports in the GoogleMaps  category on the TNG Wiki that can help you update your placelevel and zoom values