TNG Community

Video guide in Danish - relevant here?

Hanne B. Stegemüller

15 minutes ago, Hanne B. Stegemüller said:

I'll step out of the discussions about the structure of TNG Wiki

The structure of the TNG Wiki is documented in New TNG Wiki Users  page which is also sent to each user who requests a TNG Wiki username as their Discussion or Talk page

Hanne, see your Discussion or talk page

Hanne B. Stegemüller

@Ken Roy

That is correct. I read it years ago - but I still think you are all together better at this, and that it will work better, if I do not interfere in the discussion :-)

11 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Thanks Drew and Brett,

I have corrected the syntax for the return link and added TNG Wiki categories for the Installing TNG Video Guide   so that it also gets listed in the Setup and Installation category pages

Cheers

Thanks Ken & Brett.
Just need to tidy up the page etc, then it's all finished. Hopefully I'll have that done today, (later today) time permitting.

11 hours ago, Hanne B. Stegemüller said:

@Ken Roy

That is correct. I read it years ago - but I still think you are all together better at this, and that it will work better, if I do not interfere in the discussion :-)

Hanne,

I still need you to interfere, but in a good way. 😀

All the links (structure) are done etc, Ken has helped as has Brett etc. That's the hard work completed..

Now the fun part. We need to get your "Page" looking 100%. What else, would you like to add, thats consistent with the Video, that Danes would appreciate.

Drew..

Hanne B. Stegemüller
11 hours ago, edglimited said:

Now the fun part. We need to get your "Page" looking 100%. What else, would you like to add, thats consistent with the Video, that Danes would appreciate.

Hi Drew

Sorry for the late answer!

This is a fantastic community! People helping each other - all with the same goal.

Fantastic just because of a guide I now have "my own page" :-)

If you agree I think these two links would be consistent with the video:

1. A link to readme.html in Danish (it is prepared with accept from and in agreement with Darrin (I'm not sure about the phrases here, but anyway Darrin has agreed)) I attach the file here.

2. Maybe (but that is up to you all) a link to the FAQ in Danish that I'm still working on. It consists of two parts: The upper part is for users and presents some of what you can do with TNG and what you can expect from TNG in the future. The lower part is for administrators. This is the link: https://stegemueller.dk/faq-til-tng/

readme.html

On 2/24/2022 at 10:01 PM, Hanne B. Stegemüller said:

@Ken Roy

Hi Hanne, do you remember your username and password for TNG Wiki..???

If you do, we can then set your personal page up ("Your Page"). Not to be confused with the Video Guide page. "Your Page" can include a short Biography about yourself, a section on your Background, skills etc, likes, dis-likes, favourite foods, drinks, hobbies, perhaps a History of where you reside, what it was like when you were young, where you grew up etc. The choice is your's.!!!! Those are examples only. You can even include a photo.

If you don't remember your username @Ken Roy or @Brett maybe able to get it for you. Once you have it, we can then link your name (see pic below) to "Your Page" where those who are new to TNG from your home country, can meet you "Hanne" the Author.

Drew...

Screenshot from 2022-02-26 09:31:35.png

12 hours ago, Hanne B. Stegemüller said:

Hi Drew

Sorry for the late answer!

This is a fantastic community! People helping each other - all with the same goal.

Fantastic just because of a guide I now have "my own page" :-)

If you agree I think these two links would be consistent with the video:

1. A link to readme.html in Danish (it is prepared with accept from and in agreement with Darrin (I'm not sure about the phrases here, but anyway Darrin has agreed)) I attach the file here.

2. Maybe (but that is up to you all) a link to the FAQ in Danish that I'm still working on. It consists of two parts: The upper part is for users and presents some of what you can do with TNG and what you can expect from TNG in the future. The lower part is for administrators. This is the link: https://stegemueller.dk/faq-til-tng/

readme.html

Hi Hanne, please don't apologize, we're on different sides of the World, time zones apart etc. I regret I cant speak Danish, even though I have Danish Ancestry and DNA etc. I'm just learning Dutch now and that's a headache on it's own. 🤪  Your English is also fine and comprehensible. I just hope you can understand mine. 🤣 The Aussie terminology tends to creep in.

I had a chat with Darrin yesterday about a TNG matter, it was agreed too by both of us, so that has now been implemented on the Video Guide Page as well. The Page is taking shape.

I can do both 1. & 2. for you, no problem. Let me know, when you are ready for 2.

What does readme translate into Danish. I can change the translation or you can, so that Danes will know what the ******.html link say's..

Drew

Hanne B. Stegemüller
11 hours ago, edglimited said:

I can do both 1. & 2. for you, no problem. Let me know, when you are ready for 2.

What does readme translate into Danish. I can change the translation or you can, so that Danes will know what the ******.html link say's..

Drew

@edglimited Drew

Okay I won't apologize! As you have Danish ancestry please tell, if you need assistance with parish registers, censuses gravestones and so on. I have offered the same to Darrin, who also has Danish ancestry. I can easily understand your English! I have been writing a bit with @RickM behind the scene, so I'm getting a little bit used to the Aussie terminology (though he is from New Zealand). Learning Dutch... Waugh. That must be difficult.

Waugh - great that the page is growing.

I'll start working on "2" again (the FAQ for admins), and it will be easier than I thought a year ago, because back then I translated Darrins pages. Now I think that is much to much for "nerds" or anyway mostly for people who seek knowledge on a higher level. They are not "my customers" - let's call them "users" instead (absolutely no money is involved). I think "my users" are elderly people who have done genealogy for many years and are good at that and now they want their results on the internet. They are not comfortable in English (then they could go to TNG Wiki or Darrins pages right away). So I'll make something that is simple and understandable for everyone.

"Readme" in Danish is "Læs mig" and that makes sense i Danish. I suggest that you keep the name "readme" and add "Læs mig" in parenthesis or something like that, because in the guide I do the same (I mean I keep readme, but also tell what it means), and I say and write that it has this name because it has to be read and followed in the right order. I think we should take care not to make confusion for people who do not feel secure/safe in English.

Best regards,
Hanne

Hanne B. Stegemüller

@edglimited

In the introduction we have: "... never attempted to install a TNG Website before..." is it possible to write "... never attempted to install a (TNG) Website before..." ? Or maybe completely remove the word TNG in that sentence? TNG is mentioned in the next sentence as the goal "... a functioning TNG Website."

That is because in the video guide I include subjects that are non-TNG-specific i.e. how to use FileZilla to get in touch with the surrounding world, how to use FileZilla to set permissions, how to create a database and so on.

Hanne B. Stegemüller

I am working on the Danish FAQ for admins, and I have written the following preface.

What do you think? Have I forgotten something important? (I of course include links to TNG Wiki and Forum: the Danish page is here: https://stegemueller.dk/faq-til-tng/#toggle-id-10 )

"Preface for administrators

The pages of this FAQ in no way replace the TNG Wiki and all the help and support you can find there as you read the pages, the help in the "Additional Information" section of the readme.html file, or the opportunities to ask questions in the TNG Forum.

The pages mentioned are run by people who have much more knowledge about TNG and the underlying technologies than I do.

My intention is only to help you get started by explaining - in Danish - how I work with TNG and what works for me. I thought that there was a need for a Danish site that you could use if you have been doing genealogy for many years, but have never tried to make a website before.

Start by watching the video guide and you'll be well on your way.

Be aware that having a website is not something you can do in half an hour - and then it's done. It will (hopefully) never be finished. Rather, it is a process in which you will continually have new ideas, will import new data, will install a new extension (such an extension is called a "MOD"), and in which new problems will continually arise, to put it bluntly. You need to continually update the site, because neither people nor Google like a site with only old content.

Enjoy. It's a lot easier than you think."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Hanne B. Stegemüller
13 hours ago, edglimited said:

@Hanne B. Stegemüller  congrats, well done. I can't think of anything else (that may be of importance) at the moment.???

@edglimited

Thanks Drew! If later you step over something, please tell me. I'll be happy to correct (myself).

And what do you say to this question, that you might not have seen earlier?:

"In the introduction we have: "... never attempted to install a TNG Website before..." is it possible to write "... never attempted to install a (TNG) Website before..." ? Or maybe completely remove the word TNG in that sentence? TNG is mentioned in the next sentence as the goal "... a functioning TNG Website."

That is because in the video guide I include subjects that are non-TNG-specific i.e. how to use FileZilla to get in touch with the surrounding world, how to use FileZilla to set permissions, how to create a database and so on."

../Hanne

8 hours ago, Hanne B. Stegemüller said:

@edglimited

Thanks Drew! If later you step over something, please tell me. I'll be happy to correct (myself).

And what do you say to this question, that you might not have seen earlier?:

../Hanne

Hi Hanne, hope your'e well.

Sorry, I removed the wrong "TNG" for the intended edit. Now been corrected.!! 

I have replaced the original text with the following;

"These Video Guides, are intended for first time Software users, who have never attempted to install a Family Tree Program before. If you follow the guide, in the chosen language, you will end up, with a functioning (TNG) Website. Once your Site is operational, you have an option to customize it, to your personal taste".

Let me know how that sounds etc...

Drew..

Hanne B. Stegemüller
8 hours ago, edglimited said:

Hi Hanne, hope your'e well.

Sorry, I removed the wrong "TNG" for the intended edit. Now been corrected.!! 

I have replaced the original text with the following;

"These Video Guides, are intended for first time Software users, who have never attempted to install a Family Tree Program before. If you follow the guide, in the chosen language, you will end up, with a functioning (TNG) Website. Once your Site is operational, you have an option to customize it, to your personal taste".

Let me know how that sounds etc...

Drew..

Good evening Drew @edglimited- hope you are well as well
(Anyway I think it is evening in Australia. Here it is morning.)

1) I just looked at this page: https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_TNG_Video_Guide and under the headline "Danish" the text is now in English. Why is that?

I suggest this, (which is exactly this: https://stegemueller.dk/faq-til-tng/#toggle-id-11):

"Hvis du følger dette link, kommer du til en videoguide, hvor jeg forklarer formålet med TNG og hele den grundlæggende installation. Du vil opdage, hvor let det er at komme i gang.

Guiden er beregnet for brugere, der aldrig tidligere har arbejdet med hjemmesider.

Hvis du følger guiden, ender du med en hjemmeside.

Driller det, er du velkommen til at kontakte mig.

Du skal være opmærksom på, at jeg ikke modtager SMS og ikke besvarer henvendelser i Messenger. Send i stedet en mail herfra.

Læs mig: readme.html"

2) I like your introductory text! I only have this suggestion:

You have this: " ...never attempted to install a Family Tree Program before..."

I suggest replaced with this: " ...never attempted to create a website before..." (please correct my English if it is nonsense!)

The reason behind this suggestion is: It can be misunderstood, people might think "I have installed Legacy/Brother keeper/you name it/ many times on my computer..." The important theme her is, that people can get assistance to make a website, establish a domain for the first time in their life and so on.

Does that make sense to you?

Best
Hanne

Edited by Hanne B. Stegemüller
Forgot "Læs mig"

46 minutes ago, Hanne B. Stegemüller said:

never attempted to create a website before..

Hi Hanne, have amended to the above. Website does make sense, rather than a specific Website. I can also guarantee 1000%, the version is still in Danish. It maybe a translation done automatically by Google etc. 

Hanne B. Stegemüller
3 minutes ago, edglimited said:

Hi Hanne, have amended to the above. Website does make sense, rather than a specific Website. I can also guarantee 1000%, the version is still in Danish. It maybe a translation done automatically by Google etc. 

Perfect! Could not be better. I will return when FAQ for administrators has finished - but waugh it is a large job.

You are right - it was translated by Google (I hate these automatic things).

Hanne B. Stegemüller

@edglimited

Hi Drew

I think the Danish FAQ for admins has now finished with all the most important informations for users who have never establish a website before.

The content is

Preface for administrators
Video guide 28 minutes - basic installation
Overview about installation
Database
Next step: General settings
Import settings
How to import a GEDCOM file
Backup
Templates
Several languages for visitors
Images on the website
Video guide 10 minutes - FileZilla
Notepad++
Open the GEDCOM file

Comments about some posts in the FAQ for admins:

1) Preface: You already know this. I have added this "Here's what you need and not much more." Plus added a link to Darrin's FAQ: https://www.tngsitebuilding.com/faqs.php

2)Video guide 28 minutes - basic installation: Supplied with this link, where Darrin in 18 minutes explains how the basic installation is done:

3) Database: Short about database technology, about creating a database and a user and to add a user with all privileges to the database. A reference to the minutes and seconds in the video guide (8 minutes and 19 seconds) where it is shown how to do this via the guide in cPanel. Ends with a reference to this post in TNG Wiki: https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Database_-_Creating

4) Next step: General settings: Guide to the most interesting settings and information about that settings are something you can do with your personal taste. For some of them I mention what my own taste is. About cookies and GDPR I mention that there are rules and regulations about these settings.

5) How to import a GEDCOM file: Explanation about how data come to TNG from the database that contains information from the GEDCOM file that is created by the genealogy program. There is no magic. Start with backup though it is mentioned in the bottom of the screen. Import images: the correct text should be "import links to images". Eventually go to cPanel and make extra backup of tng_places if one has geocoded some thousand places in TNG. If one imports new links to images: do not delete the GEDCOM file until later.

6) Backup: How to make backup both with TNG and with cPanel.

7) Several languages for visitors: This headline to make it clear, that there is an "administrative language" and "languages for visitors". How to translate the front-page. How to make paragraphs on the front-page with HTML codes. How to translate tags/eventtypes that are not already translated.

8  ) Images on the website: Relatively long post as working with images can be difficult the first times. Explanation of what information the GEDCOM file contains about an image and how it ends up on the website. The GEDCOM only has information about a link. Afterwards images have to be uploaded to the relevant folder. After generating thumbs you might get some error messages: 1) The image is to large (should be no larger than 1000*700 (or 700*1000) and 2) The image does not exist on the server.

9) Video guide 10 minutes - FileZilla: Where to download the program, fill out the blanks and how to use it with the computer on the left hand and the server on the right hand. Much better than a file manager at the host.

10) Notepad++: download and use the program that makes it easier to open i.e. the GEDCOM file. NEVER use Word.

11) Open the GEDCOM file: How much one can learn from opening the GEDCOM with i.e. Notepad++ There is no magic behind a website. All data have their origin in the GEDCOM file. However, TNG may show some old content from the database that is still there by mistake. An example of such old content could be images. Then you have to go to the database and delete the relevant old rows, but it takes some practice to move around the different tables of the database and find out what is in which tables. That's why it's not the place to start! Explanation of why TNG can understand official GEDCOM tags from this: https://wiki-en.genealogy.net/GEDCOM-Tags. Explanation of how to recognize unofficial tags.

Can you think of some important things I have forgotten?

Hi Hanne,  Will need a few day's to digest all this... will do some comparisons as well. The Video link is also excellent, as this is what myself and Darrin talked about last week. The English version of TNG now has two Videos, to choose from, on TNG Wiki..

As an FYI, I have a Site that will add subtitles to an English version of the TNG Video Install, if needed. I will discuss this with Darrin, so as other languages become warranted or needed by new users, we can then add the Subtitled Video to the Language required. At this point, I don't envisage 100 langauages being required, maybe another 2 - 3 on top of what we have now. (maybe).

Drew..

Hanne B. Stegemüller

Hi @edglimited  Drew

I am glad you like it.

I have sent an email to the Danish "headmaster" of Legacy and asked her to link to the FAQ somewhere on the Danish Legacy site: http://legacydansk.com/ Earlier she has mentioned, that she will mention the video guide in her next newsletter.

Darrin also likes it. He wrote this to me:

"Wow, that will be a fantastic resource. Looks very thorough. I can't think of anything you've left out right now, but I'm sure you could add something later if you think of it. 

Anyway, thanks very much for putting that together. I have linked to it at https://tngsitebuilding.com/support.php."

It sounds very interesting with subtitles in some different languages. Not 100 but 2 or 3. I do agree.

All the best
Hanne

On 3/5/2022 at 8:32 PM, Hanne B. Stegemüller said:

Hi @edglimited  Drew

I am glad you like it.

I have sent an email to the Danish "headmaster" of Legacy and asked her to link to the FAQ somewhere on the Danish Legacy site: http://legacydansk.com/ Earlier she has mentioned, that she will mention the video guide in her next newsletter.

Darrin also likes it. He wrote this to me:

"Wow, that will be a fantastic resource. Looks very thorough. I can't think of anything you've left out right now, but I'm sure you could add something later if you think of it. 

Anyway, thanks very much for putting that together. I have linked to it at https://tngsitebuilding.com/support.php."

It sounds very interesting with subtitles in some different languages. Not 100 but 2 or 3. I do agree.

All the best
Hanne

Hi Hanne,

Have done some comparisons. Let me know, when you are ready etc, I will send you a pm, so you can check them out.

Drew..

Hanne B. Stegemüller

Hi Drew

@edglimited

Thank you for your message. I don't know what "Have done some comparisons" means - but I'm sure it is something nice :-) I'll come back to you as soon as I'm ready.

Since you last saw the FAQ I have added a small forum where users can ask questions about the FAQ (not about TNG in general). You can see it here: https://stegemueller.dk/faq-til-tng/#toggle-id-24

The introductory text you see when you open the toggle means:

Forum for FAQ about TNG

• This forum belongs to FAQ for TNG. It is not a forum about TNG in general.
  • There are many other ways to ask general questions about TNG.
  • Only users who are logged in can ask questions (otherwise I'll spend my life cleaning up spam. I don't want to do that).
  • Keep the structure. Ask your question in the right place.
  • Make it short. Make it clear.
  • What exactly are you in doubt about? What have you already tried yourself?
  • This will make the Forum more valuable to other users. In addition, it makes it easier for me to decode what you are in doubt about.
  • New ideas for the content of the FAQ are very welcome. Please add them to the "New ideas for FAQ content" box at the bottom.

"Gå til Forum" in the bottom of the toggle means "Go to Forum".

Hanne B. Stegemüller
On 3/9/2022 at 3:04 AM, edglimited said:

Hi Hanne,

Have done some comparisons. Let me know, when you are ready etc, I will send you a pm, so you can check them out.

Drew..

Hi Drew @edglimited

I am ready and curious about what "comparisons" mean.

Best regards,

• 4 weeks later...
Hanne B. Stegemüller
On 3/9/2022 at 3:04 AM, edglimited said:

Hi Hanne,

Drew..

Hi @edglimited/Drew

I wonder if something has gone wrong, as I answered the following on March 13th.

Hi Drew @edglimited

I am ready and curious about what "comparisons" mean.

Best regards,

Since we have communicated I have enhanced the https://stegemueller.dk/faq-til-tng/ with a calendar where people can book 60 minutes of free support.

So far I have just two users. Maybe I will not have much success with my little project.