TNG Community

Video guide in Danish - relevant here?

Hanne B. Stegemüller

Hanne B. Stegemüller

I've made a video guide that in 28 minutes explains the purpose of TNG and explains readme.html  (that I've also translated fra A - Z) for people who have absolutely never tried to establish a website before. I.e. they are wondering how to get data from their local machine to the internet, don't know what FileZilla is, don't know what a host is and so on. But they a great genealogists, without a chance to distribute and share their results achieved for maybe 30 years. I want them to see how easy it actually is to get TNG up running - and save a lot of money every year to some companies. Everything is down to earth and explained slowly, so that everybody can follow it.

The introductory text in my Danish FAQ is:

"If you follow this link, you will get to a video guide where I explain the purpose of TNG and the whole basic installation. You'll discover how easy it is to get started. The guide is intended for users who have never worked with websites before. If you follow the guide, you'll end up with a website."

I've sent a link to Darrin so he can see whether he finds it precise enough for him to distribute the link to his (new) customers. He is busy these days but will have a look as soon as possible.

1. Would a link to the guide be relevant somewhere in this community?
  2. Are there programs that can translate the video so you enthusiasts can maybe understand it a tell me what you think about it?

I have spent really much time recording it (it is my first video tutorial), so now I know how difficult it is.

2 hours ago, Hanne said:

I've made a video guide that in 28 minutes explains the purpose of TNG and explains readme.html  (that I've also translated fra A - Z) for people who have absolutely never tried to establish a website before. I.e. they are wondering how to get data from their local machine to the internet, don't know what FileZilla is, don't know what a host is and so on. But they a great genealogists, without a chance to distribute and share their results achieved for maybe 30 years. I want them to see how easy it actually is to get TNG up running - and save a lot of money every year to some companies. Everything is down to earth and explained slowly, so that everybody can follow it.

The introductory text in my Danish FAQ is:

"If you follow this link, you will get to a video guide where I explain the purpose of TNG and the whole basic installation. You'll discover how easy it is to get started. The guide is intended for users who have never worked with websites before. If you follow the guide, you'll end up with a website."

I've sent a link to Darrin so he can see whether he finds it precise enough for him to distribute the link to his (new) customers. He is busy these days but will have a look as soon as possible.

1. Would a link to the guide be relevant somewhere in this community?
  2. Are there programs that can translate the video so you enthusiasts can maybe understand it a tell me what you think about it?

I have spent really much time recording it (it is my first video tutorial), so now I know how difficult it is.

@Hanne

You are amazing.. Well done.. I'm not sure where a link would be best put, prob here and on the Wiki, IMHO. It should be somewhere that is easy to spot so those thinking about TNG etc can find it without too much trouble.

As for translating, I wonder (and I have NEVER done so at all) if English subtitles might be an idea???

You are a champion!!

Hanne B. Stegemüller
4 minutes ago, RickM said:

@Hanne

You are amazing.. Well done.. I'm not sure where a link would be best put, prob here and on the Wiki, IMHO. It should be somewhere that is easy to spot so those thinking about TNG etc can find it without too much trouble.

As for translating, I wonder (and I have NEVER done so at all) if English subtitles might be an idea??

Thanks Rick. You are always so kind!

Yes. The link should be placed somewhere, where people who know absolutely nothing about TNG will find it. Will they find this page or the Wiki?

I have contacted the "headmaster" for Legacy in Denmark, and she is interested, because I (of course) mention how well Legacy works with TNG. But she hasn't watched it yet.

My English is not good enough for subtitles. And it will take a long, long time. I hope there is a program that can do the hard work for me/you

24 minutes ago, Hanne said:

Thanks Rick. You are always so kind!

Yes. The link should be placed somewhere, where people who know absolutely nothing about TNG will find it. Will they find this page or the Wiki?

I have contacted the "headmaster" for Legacy in Denmark, and she is interested, because I (of course) mention how well Legacy works with TNG. But she hasn't watched it yet.

My English is not good enough for subtitles. And it will take a long, long time. I hope there is a program that can do the hard work for me/you

I'm not sure how it would work here on TNG, because this Site is purely in English, doesn't mean it cant work.!!

If you go to TNG Wiki Main Page you can add your link there, under "New Articles other than Mods" Current languages are English, German, Spanish, French and Dutch for users etc.

Getting Started with TNG, and Customizing Your Site, would be a good place for anyone new to setting up TNG for the 1st time.

If you get stuck, let me know, I will add the link for you.

Drew..

Hanne B. Stegemüller
1 hour ago, edglimited said:

If you go to TNG Wiki Main Page you can add your link there, under "New Articles other than Mods" Current languages are English, German, Spanish, French and Dutch for users etc.

Getting Started with TNG, and Customizing Your Site, would be a good place for anyone new to setting up TNG for the 1st time.

Drew..

Hi Drew

That is a good idea! Thank you.

I'll come back to you, when Darrin has given his opinion.

Hanne B. Stegemüller
On 2/21/2022 at 12:02 AM, edglimited said:

I'm not sure how it would work here on TNG, because this Site is purely in English, doesn't mean it cant work.!!

Drew..

Hello again Drew

Now I have been in contact with Darrin who has approved (I am not sure whether this is the correct term) the video guide. Now there are two possible links. I think you should choose the one you find best, and place the link where you think it is best - and I will be happy for you assistance, so nothing is ruined (also if you write my name like this: "Hanne B. Stegemüller").

1. I myself prefer this link that takes people directly to the guide in the Danish FAQ: https://stegemueller.dk/faq-til-tng/#toggle-id-11
  2. Darrin has made a link to the FAQ here: https://tngsitebuilding.com/support.php, so that is also a possibility. That link has a much more "official look", which is positive. What I a not so fond of is, that it is not sure, that users will ever find the guide because it is in the (lower) admin part.

Hello Hanne,

You have done a great job with this video and all instructions, very nice and instructive. This is what all beginners need for start up.

Leif

Hanne B. Stegemüller

Hello Leif

Thank you so much! I am glad you say so, as it took me a long time. I probably started over 20 times.

It is my first video tutorial but definitely not the last.

Hanne B. Stegemüller
1 minute ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Hi Hanne !

Nothing understand, but nice hard work ! :-)

Michel

Thanks a lot Michel

Yeah - I can not code, but I can (learn) other things :-)

15 hours ago, Hanne said:

Hello again Drew

Now I have been in contact with Darrin who has approved (I am not sure whether this is the correct term) the video guide. Now there are two possible links. I think you should choose the one you find best, and place the link where you think it is best - and I will be happy for you assistance, so nothing is ruined (also if you write my name like this: "Hanne B. Stegemüller").

1. I myself prefer this link that takes people directly to the guide in the Danish FAQ: https://stegemueller.dk/faq-til-tng/#toggle-id-11
  2. Darrin has made a link to the FAQ here: https://tngsitebuilding.com/support.php, so that is also a possibility. That link has a much more "official look", which is positive. What I a not so fond of is, that it is not sure, that users will ever find the guide because it is in the (lower) admin part.

Hi Hanne, I have added your links to TNG Wiki Main Page
Have a look at the English language, to see how it reads.

I have also added links to your Video Guide, the FAQ's and your Kontact via your Website. If you want anything changed, please let me know and we can make the edits.

Drew..

Screenshot from 2022-02-23 09:40:01.png

@Hanne  as I don't speak Danish,  can you view this English to Danish translation by Google and tell me if it reads ok to you.

eg; If you were to view it on TNG Wiki, as a Danish person, would you understand it.

Screenshot from 2022-02-23 13:30:23.png

Hanne B. Stegemüller
11 hours ago, edglimited said:

@Hanne  as I don't speak Danish,  can you view this English to Danish translation by Google and tell me if it reads ok to you.

Screenshot from 2022-02-23 13:30:23.png

@edglimited

Thanks. I have this proposal, as that is exactly the same text as people will find in the Danish FAQ - and that might cause less confusion:

"Hvis du følger dette link, kommer du til en videoguide, hvor jeg forklarer formålet med TNG og hele den grundlæggende installation. Du vil opdage, hvor let det er at komme i gang. Guiden er beregnet for brugere, der aldrig tidligere har arbejdet med hjemmesider. Hvis du følger guiden, ender du med en hjemmeside. Driller det, er du velkommen til at kontakte mig. Du skal være opmærksom på, at jeg ikke modtager SMS og ikke besvarer henvendelser i Messenger. Send i stedet en mail herfra."

Links:

Link 1: I think it is better to show people in the direction of the FAQ - and with this link, they'll get directly to the relevant post in the FAQ: https://stegemueller.dk/faq-til-tng/#toggle-id-11

Link 2: For the contact link I prefer to use this contact form: https://tng.stegemueller.dk/suggest.php so I have a chance to see what comes from where, but its is really not an important issue.

Best

../Hanne

Drew and Hanne,

Please create a separate TNG Wiki page for the Visual Install Guide so that you can put the information in more than one language and only have a brief pointer in the TNG Wiki Main Page to the Visual Install Guide and not have links from the TNG Wiki Main Page to other user sites

As the section header says on the Main Page Articles / Pages recently added to the TNG-Wiki

Thanks

6 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Drew and Hanne,

Please create a separate TNG Wiki page for the Visual Install Guide so that you can put the information in more than one language and only have a brief pointer in the TNG Wiki Main Page to the Visual Install Guide and not have links from the TNG Wiki Main Page to other user sites

As the section header says on the Main Page Articles / Pages recently added to the TNG-Wiki

Thanks

Thanks Ken,
Bear with me, may take a couple of hours, have a few projects on the go today.

Cheers Drew..

No rush Drew,

I was thinking it would be easier to then assign the page to the Setup and Installation categories as well.

Edited to Add:  as well as the Getting Started category. 

7 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

No rush Drew,

I was thinking it would be easier to then assign the page to the Setup and Installation categories as well.

Edited to Add:  as well as the Getting Started category. 

Just looking at the Category "Installation" now. Currently x 3 exist, under "I" but no sub-category for Installing TNG/dk. Good point on the "Setup" and "Getting Started".

21 minutes ago, edglimited said:

no sub-category for Installing TNG/dk

Well the whole language translation capability in the TNG Wiki is seriously broken.  The MediaWiki developers went a different path that what I implemented in MediaWiki 16.  Plus the TNG users who initially worked on trying to create different language pages have not kept them up.  Unfortunately, I am not a web developer and javascript is a foreign language to me.  So I have not figured out how to fix the current scheme of switch languages.

Brett McPhee has created a separate template for the Main Page as a temporary fix.   There were full install and help screens in French at one time in TNG but those have gone by the way side.

Without haveing a TNG/dk category, it might still be helpful to have Hanne's Visual Install Guide as a page header with an indication that it is in Danish

Also the ISO 2 character code for Danish language is DA.  DK is the country code (not the same think as far as language switching on the TNG Wiki

8 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Well the whole language translation capability in the TNG Wiki is seriously broken.  The MediaWiki developers went a different path that what I implemented in MediaWiki 16.  Plus the TNG users who initially worked on trying to create different language pages have not kept them up.  Unfortunately, I am not a web developer and javascript is a foreign language to me.  So I have not figured out how to fix the current scheme of switch languages.

Brett McPhee has created a separate template for the Main Page as a temporary fix.   There were full install and help screens in French at one time in TNG but those have gone by the way side.

Without haveing a TNG/dk category, it might still be helpful to have Hanne's Visual Install Guide as a page header with an indication that it is in Danish

Also the ISO 2 character code for Danish language is DA.  DK is the country code (not the same think as far as language switching on the TNG Wiki

Hi Ken,
Fully understand, where you are coming from on those points. (Googled the DK, but was looking at another screen at the same time). I did notice the chaos in some TNG Wiki Pages, as you have pointed out, but thought it was just me. Glad I'm not alone.

What's your thoughts.....I was thinking along the lines of the following. Under the "Category:Getting Started" I can add a page under V called "Video Guides". This page could then contain Hanne's info and links etc, with expansion for other Language Videos, as they are / or created. From Video Guides, it's then quite easy, to link back to the Categories "Installation" & "Setup" etc etc.

One thing I have learnt over the years, with anything Wiki related (..on Wikitree especially, lol.. ) if you don't get the Pages >>> Categories >>> Sub-Categories, in the right order, you end up going around in a big circle, getting absolutely no-where. Also the use of { } and [ ] in the right context makes a big difference too.

12 hours ago, Hanne B. Stegemüller said:

@edglimited

Thanks. I have this proposal, as that is exactly the same text as people will find in the Danish FAQ - and that might cause less confusion:

"Hvis du følger dette link, kommer du til en videoguide, hvor jeg forklarer formålet med TNG og hele den grundlæggende installation. Du vil opdage, hvor let det er at komme i gang. Guiden er beregnet for brugere, der aldrig tidligere har arbejdet med hjemmesider. Hvis du følger guiden, ender du med en hjemmeside. Driller det, er du velkommen til at kontakte mig. Du skal være opmærksom på, at jeg ikke modtager SMS og ikke besvarer henvendelser i Messenger. Send i stedet en mail herfra."

Links:

Link 1: I think it is better to show people in the direction of the FAQ - and with this link, they'll get directly to the relevant post in the FAQ: https://stegemueller.dk/faq-til-tng/#toggle-id-11

Link 2: For the contact link I prefer to use this contact form: https://tng.stegemueller.dk/suggest.php so I have a chance to see what comes from where, but its is really not an important issue.

Best

../Hanne

Hi Hanne,
I have added both a "Category" and a "Page" on TNG Wiki. The Category can be seen here, Category:Getting_Started

So first time users can view that page first and choose, where to navigate too from there. Your "Page" is under Installing TNG Video Guide in Installation and Setup.

At present, I have your Page setup as a basic template. If you wish, we can still add, edit, delete, or add links, content of any kind in relation to the Video, your TNG Site etc, until you are happy with the final product. I will add links to several other pages, on TNG Wiki, to help those who are new, locate your Page. Then it's a matter of a clean up and it's functional.

Cheers Drew..

Screenshot from 2022-02-24 13:58:29.png

Screenshot from 2022-02-24 13:58:50.png

Screenshot from 2022-02-24 13:59:16.png

Hanne/Drew

Suggest a minor text change. Rather than Danish citizens, a Danish speaking? reference.

1 hour ago, Brett said:

Hanne/Drew

Suggest a minor text change. Rather than Danish citizens, a Danish speaking? reference.

Cheers Brett,
Adjustments made to text..

Hanne B. Stegemüller

@edglimited

Thanks a lot!

I am already happy with the work you've made.

I'll step out of the discussions about the structure of TNG Wiki, because there I have no knowledge at all.