TNG Community

Enhanced image indicator - Mod

Philip Roy

Hi all, over the past few days I’ve taken advantage of MyHeritage.com offering free access to their photo tools to either repair, enhance or colourise images. Many of the results have been…a little bit odd, to say the least… but in some cases the enhancement of the image has been very good indeed.

I’m still not that comfortable with displaying a colorised version of a black and white photo, but in some cases, the enhanced image or “restored colour” image has been quite impressive.

The images download with a watermark in the bottom right, which I don’t have an issue with…and I’m still mulling over whether I’m actually going to include these computer enhanced images in my Reunion genealogy database. Personally I’d never just display the enhanced version…I’d always include the original and indicate (somehow) the difference.

I’m trying to figure out how I could label the image as “Enhanced” in Reunion, and then when I import via GEDOM into TNG, have them displayed as such? As all my works is done in Reunion and then imported into TNG.

But…

it made me wonder if some clever person might be able to create a mod that allows you to associate a value with an image, to indicate that it is computer enhanced…AND…when the image is displayed in TNG, it clearly indicates that somehow?

Personally I’m not wanting a watermark added to the image…I’m thinking something that just highlights on the page displaying the media that it is enhanced.

But to be honest, I’m just thinking out loud, because I’m not exactly sure what the best approach would be and what is achievable? All comments welcome.

In case anyone is interested…I also have Adobe Photoshop that can do colorisation…but My Heritage was just so fast and easy to use, I took up their free offer (while it lasted) instead. It’s not something I will continue to do…I’m just trying to figure out the most effective way to use a few of the images that I am quite pleased with.

Edited by Philip Roy

Why not just put "Enhanced" or "Enhanced by MyHeritage" as the first word(s) in the photo's title in Reunion at the time you add the photo and give it a descr(iption) and comment?

Does it need to be more complicated than that?

Roger

20 timer siden, theKiwi skrev:

Does it need to be more complicated than that?

It looks like a few people in the group have been totally hooked on developing/asking others to develop new mods lately ...

I’m going to be adding it as a description and MyHeritage added text to every file name. I was just trying to come up with a way that made it a bit more obvious to people when viewing on TNG.

In terms of mods..I have three installed…so, yes, clearly addictied.

1 hour ago, Philip Roy said:

I’m going to be adding it as a description and MyHeritage added text to every file name. I was just trying to come up with a way that made it a bit more obvious to people when viewing on TNG.

In terms of mods..I have three installed…so, yes, clearly addictied.

Philip, just as an fyi, in regards to the watermark that is placed in the photo by MyHeritage.  Under the terms of the licensing agreement with AI, that mark is selected by default, ie; this places a watermark icon of a palette at the bottom left corner of your image. This is intended to be the standard way to convey to others viewing your image that it was colorized by AI.

MyHeritage want to help promote that as a (there) standard, especially as AI technology continues to improve and the distinction between real and fake photos becomes harder to discern. The palette watermark practice was initiated and lead by MyHeritage in their "MyHeritage In Color" feature (which uses a newer version of DeOldify).

DeOldify (2018) has now been replaced by DeepAi, or Deep Artificial Intelligence. DeOldify and DeepAI can be downloaded as a program and placed on your own desktop. The advantage of both of these is, there is no watermark on the colour photos, that you re-produce from black n white's. 

Jason Antic, the man behind DeepAI is still working and improving on the intelligence framework, which will leave MyHeritage in the dark very soon. If you want to colourize for free, then go to this link...

DeepAI Colorizer

Cheers Drew..

Edited by edglimited
adjust spelling

That’s really interesting, thanks!

I assumed that the watermark wasn’t simply them putting their licensing on the image…but clearly meant to indicate the image had been enhanced in some way. Personally I don’t think I would ever display an enhanced image that didn’t have some indication that it was enhanced….so although I might look at those programs you mention, I would need to come up with my own form of indicator anyway.

The other aspect of this from someone seeing those images, is that it has taken a forum post by you to explain what those icons actually mean…or in other words, the average user may not realise seeing those icons (or reading a file name) indicates the significance of what that means…which why I posted this idea/suggestion in the first place.

Hello everybody !

I prefer that people enjoy an interesting and complete experience. I've made so many complaints about these watermarks disfiguring the images I wanted to admire that I don't want to impose this on others anymore.
Also, when an image has been colorized, I indicate it in the title or the description. If it has been embellished in another way, I don't indicate it: any image has been modified in one way or another before being put online, I would never want to reveal the secrets of the making...

That is my point of view about watermarks.

As for the Colorizer online script that Drew mentions, it's true that it gives exceptional renderings. View my colorized postcards : https://photos.revestou.fr/index?/category/242-cartes_et_photos_colorisees

Edit : in my TNG, I make an exception to my watermark phobia for the records documents : I add a red mention of the URL where I found the document, otherwise, I would not been entitled to publish it. : https://genealogie.revestou.fr/showmedia.php?mediaID=774

Also, when an image has been colorized, I indicate it in the title or the description. If it has been embellished in another way, I don't indicate it: any image has been modified in one way or another before being put online, I would never want to reveal the secrets of the making...

I love this reply! I genuinely do…because of the area that I work in as in instructional designer…it highlights for me how different people’s perspectives are.

You say that you indicate things in a title or a description…that assumes that people read titles and descriptions.

Where I think you and I disagree most is where you say…”I would never want to reveal the secrets of the making”….and I am of the complete opposite view. I believe you absolutely should indicate that an image being viewed is neither original nor genuine. Again, not a criticism…you’re feedback is great and different to mine. Agree to disagree.

I think that there was a bit of an implication earlier in this thread that I was taking a bit of a “request a mod” approach to using this ideas/suggestions section of the forum. I’m completely ok with people suggesting it’s a non issue for them…it’s not for me..kind of. If I’m going to use computer enhanced images in both Reunion and TNG, then I want to clearly indicate that in an obvious way. If I can’t, I’m unlikely to include those images…hence my post seeking ideas/suggestions.