TNG Community
Doug120745

Install readme.html hangs.

Doug120745

Hello,

I am just attempting to reinstall TNG v12.3 after a year away from it. I am having difficulty getting TNG initialized on my home server. TNG is installed at location C:\xampp\htdocs\tng

I started to follow your excellent YouTube video for installation and didn't get very far with the readme.html file before it hung up.

The readme.html file is correctly accessed through my browser from http://localhost/tng/readme.html as shown in the attached snapshot below.

I get to step 3 Set Permissions in the readme.html file, click the set permission button and receive the following

" Please wait, attempting to process..." which never is returned. The same thing happens when I click the rename folders button in Step 4.

Is there a way to do this manually if the readme.html file does not work? Exactly what permissions are to be set here anyways?

I am using version 12.3 14 of March 2020 - Full version (not an update)

TNG-EMAIL.PNG

Chris Lloyd

I don't use xampp - use ampps instead but I wonder if your path is correct?

My path on the home server is:

http://127.0.0.1/tngfiles1304/readme.html

bhemph

Doug,
     What version of XAMPP are you using?  PHP version?

Brent

Doug120745

Chris,

I renamed the name tngfiles123 to just tng.

xampp provides a folder named htdocs where the full folder has been copied into.

I've been using xampp for at least 5 years so hesitate to try ampps quite yet.

Brent,

• xampp windows x64 V-8.1.2-0 installer
  • Php v8.1.2

Doug120745

Made a little progress. The apache error log says it is failing in tngconnect as follows

[Mon Jan 31 16:14:15.893418 2022] [php:error] [pid 15952:tid 1868] [client 127.0.0.1:7025]

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught mysqli_sql_exception: Access denied for user 'doug'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\tng\\tngconnect.php:37\nStack trace:\n#0 C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\tng\\tngconnect.php(37): mysqli_connect('localhost', 'doug', 'dew136', 'tng_db', '3306', NULL)\n#1

C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\tng\\ajx_tnginstall.php(27): tng_connect('localhost', 'doug', 'dew136', 'tng_db', '3306', NULL)\n#2 {main}\n  thrown in C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\tng\\tngconnect.php on line 37, referer: http://localhost/tng/readme.html

Ken Roy

TNG 12.3 does not support PHP 8.  So you need to downgrade PHP to no higher than PHP 7.3  Not sure whether PHP 7.4  would work  See TNG versions

Doug120745

Thanks all for your input. I've decided that I have too many versions of Xampp and their folders have evidently cross-contaminated. Odd though, as I had a working version of TNG 13 sometime last year. Therefore, I will get rid of all of these versions of xampp and start anew.

Ken, I will make sure to choose PHP v7.3 with V12.3. If that works I will deal with upgrading to v13 in the future.

Chris, I'm looking at ampps as an alternative. I was unaware of this package until you mentioned it. Thanks.

And there are also sites that will host TNG for $$$.

I get there yet. Thanks again.

Chris Lloyd
1 hour ago, Doug120745 said:

I get there yet. Thanks again.

All a learning experience - hope you get what you're after.

Doug120745

Chris and all,

I finally got my self-hosted site up and running. Chris, you'll be happy to know that I downloaded and installed AMPPS and used this to get going. Thanks for that input. I had never heard of AMPPS before. I had used XAMPP on and off for many years, but it now looks as if it is degraded somewhat. I believe that happened when Bitnami bought XAMPP a few years ago.

Chris Lloyd
On 2/3/2022 at 2:23 PM, Doug120745 said:

Chris and all,

I finally got my self-hosted site up and running. Chris, you'll be happy to know that I downloaded and installed AMPPS and used this to get going. Thanks for that input. I had never heard of AMPPS before. I had used XAMPP on and off for many years, but it now looks as if it is degraded somewhat. I believe that happened when Bitnami bought XAMPP a few years ago.

Great - - like you I used to use XAMPP but started having a few issues so looked for an alternative.