TNG Community

Age at Marriage mod

cmhbob

I added this mod recently and really appreciate the work Michel put into it. I had a couple of ideas about it, emailed him, and he suggested I post them here for discussion.

1. Instead of the pronouns for the ages ("She was 18 - he was 32") I wonder if the mod could pull the first names. I feel like "Jennie was 14; Michael was 26" reads a little better.
  2. Along the same lines, could the hyphen between the two statements be swapped for a semicolon? Again, it's more of a readability thing in my mind.
  3. Finally, since this mod is already poking around the marriage data, I wondered about calculating the length of the marriage, especially in the event of a divorce and/or remarriage. But I'll be honest: I'm not sure that bit of information would be very useful to anyone; it's likely just a curiosity thing.

Michel KIRSCH

Hi Bob !

Thanks to post your suggestions here.

for the 1 : in french there are some first names that are the same for women and man : Claude, Dominique, Annick,... And this will cause troubles for the user...

Is it the case for other languages?

Michel

Michel I have only run into one case and I have lots of French ancestors, where the married couple share the same first name.  I think the rarity makes it a non-issue.

9 hours ago, cmhbob said:

I added this mod recently and really appreciate the work Michel put into it. I had a couple of ideas about it, emailed him, and he suggested I post them here for discussion.

1. Instead of the pronouns for the ages ("She was 18 - he was 32") I wonder if the mod could pull the first names. I feel like "Jennie was 14; Michael was 26" reads a little better.
  2. Along the same lines, could the hyphen between the two statements be swapped for a semicolon? Again, it's more of a readability thing in my mind.
  3. Finally, since this mod is already poking around the marriage data, I wondered about calculating the length of the marriage, especially in the event of a divorce and/or remarriage. But I'll be honest: I'm not sure that bit of information would be very useful to anyone; it's likely just a curiosity thing.

Hi Bob

re 1] I recall asking Michel about this when he was developing the Mod. I guess I would still like to see it myself, however, do you want the persons First Name or Nickname or if no Nickname their First Name.. A few more lines of code, but might be tricky given the space working in.

re 2] Yeah I can see a few grammatical things that could be improved upon. However the Mod works for me so at least for this I'm comfortable with.

re 3] Michel did resolve a question for me about length of marriage (for living folks anyways) I attach the report code to be added in the Reports >> New and at the bottom of page under

OR Leave Display, Criteria and Sort fields blank and enter direct SQL SELECT statement here: 

please credit this SQL as follows

Where both partners are still alive.
[Original SQL code by Warren Gilbert, modified by Michel Kirsch Dec 2021]

living marriage length mysql.txt

And this Code

Original SQL code by Warren Gilbert

deceased marriage length mysql.txt

I am OK either way,  a cosmetic change, but more work for Michel, :(   That said, I sort of like the simplicity of pronouns.

Current length of marriage...I suppose that's really nice, but involves significantly more coding, I would guess.  

Michel KIRSCH
7 hours ago, Katryne said:

I think, the mod is juste perfect as it is

Kat, you're a mother for me !

8 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

Current length of marriage...I suppose that's really nice, but involves significantly more coding, I would guess.

I finish to write a new version that :

- allows displaying first part of the fisrt name instead he/she (option)
- calculate the duration of the marriage if : there is a divorve date or one of the two spouses is death. If both are alive, calculate the duration from mardate to current date.
- allows to change the separator (actually '-') between the spouses. BUT there are restictions : no semi-colon, no back-slash, no colon... Must contact Brent for this..

will post the new version tomorrow for tests to limited number of persons, as usual

Michel

Michel, you already know I am a fan of you... What I meant in fact is that I want to use the mod as it is now. Any change should come as an option.

Michel KIRSCH
9 hours ago, Katryne said:

Any change should come as an option.

Done Kat. All new capabilities are unset by default.

Michel

• 1 month later...

Hi, Michel. I recently discovered your mod and I became an absolute fan. I mean, the information was already on the database, but seeing clearly the spouses age and the length of their marriage somehow brings them closer to us. I cannot explain it more clearly.

I just have a question: in Portuguese (my site is essentially about Portuguese families and people), most people used two first names, and sometimes even more. For instance, almost all women were "Maria" something - Maria Margarida, Maria Joana, etc. Showing only men's first name is ok, but with women it becomes a little narrowing - most of them become just "Maria". Since the TNG database allows us to separate the first name or names from the surnames, would it be too difficult to allow users to choose whether to show only the first name OR all the names on the database "First Name" field? Anything I could do just on my cfg file if no other users show interest?

Thank you!

Michel KIRSCH

OK well understanding your problem.

Will add an option to show first, second, third... part of the surname.

For the next release...in a few days...

Michel

Michel KIRSCH

For the next release, you can send me the portuguese translation for the strings

$text['mahe'] = "He :";
$text['mashe'] = "She :";
$text['mahewas'] = "He was";
$text['mashewas'] = "She was";
$text['marriedage'] = "Age at Marriage";
$text['mamonth'] = "month";
$text['mamonths'] = "months";
$text['old'] = "old";
$text['marsince'] = "Married ";
$text['marduring'] = "Were Married ";
$text['mamax'] = "less than ";

Michel

13 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

OK well understanding your problem.

Will add an option to show first, second, third... part of the surname.

For the next release...in a few days...

Michel

Lovely, Michel! Thank you very, very much!

13 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

For the next release, you can send me the portuguese translation for the strings

$text['mahe'] = "He :";
$text['mashe'] = "She :";
$text['mahewas'] = "He was";
$text['mashewas'] = "She was";
$text['marriedage'] = "Age at Marriage";
$text['mamonth'] = "month";
$text['mamonths'] = "months";
$text['old'] = "old";
$text['marsince'] = "Married ";
$text['marduring'] = "Were Married ";
$text['mamax'] = "less than ";

Michel

That is easy:

// Age at Marriage Mod
$text['mahe'] = "Ele: ";
$text['mashe'] = "Ela: ";
$text['mahewas'] = "Ele tinha";
$text['mashewas'] = "Ela tinha";
$text['marriedage'] = "Idade com que casaram";
$text['mamonth'] = "mês";
$text['mamonths'] = "meses";
$text['old'] = "de idade";
$text['marsince'] = "Estão casados há ";
$text['marduring'] = "Estiveram casados ";
$text['mamax'] = "menos de ";
// Age at Marriage Mod End

Hi @Michel KIRSCH

I noticed something in the "Age at Marriage" mod.

The text displays in English on my website. I thought it was because the strings weren't provided in Dutch and I copied the list to add them manually to my text file, where I saw that they do exist. For some reason though, they aren't being used.

I did a test and manually changed the strings in the English text file to different words, and that showed immediately on the website. So for some reason, the mod does install the Dutch text but uses the English file for the output.

Am I the only one with this issue?

Michel KIRSCH
18 minutes ago, fluffy82 said:

Am I the only one with this issue?

I think it's well the case...

Maybe because your site is not registered on [[https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Age_at_marriage#Sites_using_this_mod Age at marriage]] ? :-)

Michel

Nl1.JPG

If I may intrude in this discussion (I am sure Michel will forgive me), could you please check the 'cust_text.php' file for the language with problems and check if all literals are correctly translated?

I have been messing with translations this week so this is a fresh subject for me...

Michel KIRSCH
32 minutes ago, Katryne said:

Hello me too... for Italia

Katryne, the mod is not (yet) translated in Italian.

So it takes what it found in Italian and pick up the rest in the english language...

If you send me the italian translation, it will be integrated in the next version 5 of the Mod...

Michel

Michel KIRSCH
14 minutes ago, LBelard said:

check if all literals are correctly translated?

No problem, All is OK for Dutch translations.

Michel

12 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

No problem, All is OK for Dutch translations.

Michel

The Dutch translations are present and correct, but unused... On my website anyway.

I tested, and what is shown comes from the English-UTF8 text file. The Dutch text file (which is there, containing all the correct translations, properly installed by the mod) is not used.

Another weird thing: if you change the language to English, nothing is displayed.

Maybe it's still a remnant from yesterday's problems... I'll have a closer look at it.

age marriage.PNG

age marriage ENG.PNG

36 minutes ago, LBelard said:

could you please check the 'cust_text.php' file for the language with problems and check if all literals are correctly translated?

They are all correctly translated, the file is just not used. I manually modified the translations in the English file to test, and these were immediately visible. So the output, in Dutch, is using the English cust_text file, not the Dutch one.

6 minutes ago, fluffy82 said:

Maybe it's still a remnant from yesterday's problems... I'll have a closer look at it.

Ok, it was a remnant of yesterday's issue... Feeling very, very embarassed now 🙈

Besides the alltext.php I discovered yesterday, also the admintext.php, text.php and cust_text.php files were dropped in the TNG root folder. Should have checked that first... Now removed and solved! Works like a charm.

Michel KIRSCH
6 minutes ago, fluffy82 said:

Works like a charm

As expected ! :-)