Jump to content
TNG Community
jhculbert

Open Street Maps & JavaScript

Recommended Posts

jhculbert

I have Open Street Maps (OSM) operating correctly on a TNG installation on a home computer using:

TNG 13.0.3

Map Key: OSM

iMac using OS El Capitan 10.11.6

However, when I made a similar TNG installation on another home computer using:

TNG 13.0.4

Map Key: OSM

MacBook Air using macOS Big Sur v. 11.1

I get the following error message when viewing a page with georeferenced place data available:

"Oops!  Something Went Wrong

This page didn’t load Google Maps correctly.  See the JavaScript console for technical details."

It appears that TNG shows a map briefly before being overridden by this error message.

Can anyone suggest how to fix this?  I have no idea how to access the JavaScript console, let alone how to modify it so OSM works.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RickM

Silly Thought,

Double check you saved the settings AFTER adding OSM!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ken Roy
4 hours ago, jhculbert said:

I get the following error message when viewing a page with georeferenced place data available:

"Oops!  Something Went Wrong

This page didn’t load Google Maps correctly.  See the JavaScript console for technical details."

It appears that TNG shows a map briefly before being overridden by this error message.

You will also get that error if you set the map key to OSM but did not install the OpenStreetMap mod.  So make sure the Mod Manager screen shows that the OpenStreetMap mod is installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jhculbert
20 hours ago, RickM said:

Silly Thought,

Double check you saved the settings AFTER adding OSM!!

 

Thanks, Rick.  A good thought.  Unfortunately, I did save the page after entering OSM as the Map Key.

I wish the solution were that easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ken Roy

Did you install the OpenStreetMap mod  If the mod is not installed and you change the map key to OSM, the TNG code calls the Google Maps platform which of course does not like a map key of OSM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jhculbert
17 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

You will also get that error if you set the map key to OSM but did not install the OpenStreetMap mod.  So make sure the Mod Manager screen shows that the OpenStreetMap mod is installed.

Very strange here Ken.  I don't have any mods installed on either of my TNG installations, where OSM works with one of them.

I will install that Mod on the TNG installation where OSM doesn't work, then report back whether or not the Mod works.

That will take some time for me to accomplish this, as I've never installed a mod before......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ken Roy

OSM is the map key to activate the OpenStreetMap mod.

3 minutes ago, jhculbert said:

I don't have any mods installed on either of my TNG installations, where OSM works with one of them

You must have the OpenStreetMap mod install for it to work, since OpenStreetMap is not a TNG option and a map key of OSM will call the Google Maps platform with an invalid key.  Speaking from experience

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jhculbert

Well, dang Ken, you are correct, and I do not recall ever installing that mod.

This is obviously the solution.

I consider this issue solved, but I have no idea on how to edit this subject to add that.

Thanks!

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×