TNG Community
John Paul

setup multiple trees

John Paul

Hi again ya'll.  I just starting setting up tng 13.1 om my home wamp server.  I created the 1st tree (Our Genealogy).  Is it feasible to create 4 trees, one for my family, one for my wife's family, on for her mother's and on for father?  what would you experts recommend?   Thanks.

edglimited
12 minutes ago, jpjones55 said:

Hi again ya'll.  I just starting setting up tng 13.1 om my home wamp server.  I created the 1st tree (Our Genealogy).  Is it feasible to create 4 trees, one for my family, one for my wife's family, on for her mother's and on for father?  what would you experts recommend?   Thanks.

I'm certainly no expert, but yes I have 8 x trees on my site. 6 x Family trees and 2 x Interconnected trees to those 6. The advantage (for me) is I can view each family line. It also allowed me to find out where my family intersected as well.

Eg; my Fathers Uncles Cousin, married a relative on my Mothers Sisters, Husband's side. Seperate trees, also allowed me to find out, that all my line originated from one Family back in 1630, via two Sisters from that Family. Dad's family came from the 2nd Sister and Mum's came from the 5th Sister.

John Paul

Thanks for the info edglimited.  Can't wait to read some more replies.

Chris Lloyd

the issue you may face by having multiple trees is linking those people who belong in more than one tree.....

John Paul

Thanks for the info edglimited.  Can't wait to read some more replies.

John Paul

So I guess I'll just keep the one tree.  Only got like 400-500 people in the db as of now, but more are coming.....

theKiwi

Yes - one tree is my method of doing things - as soon as you get multiple trees, the people that are in multiple trees - eg all descendants of your wife's parents will need to be in multiple trees - so loads of duplicated data entry.

Roger

Michel KIRSCH

To display interactions between two branch of your tree (by example your branch and your wife's branch) you may use the sosa Mod.

If you are sosa1, your common ancestors will be highlighted in ancestors vertical charts.

In this example,  the person at the basis of the chart have some common ancestors with me (sosa1)

asc.JPG

John Paul

Thanks for the info guys. I'll just stick with the single tree.  don't need the hassle of all that data entry.  got enough as it is!lol