TNG Community
Derek Heritage

TNG transfer

Derek Heritage

If I have a new domain and want to transfer my database to it is it possible to download from the old site via ftp and upload to the new one? Or, failing that to download the media and upload to the new site. If so which files need to be copied? Thanks in advance.

Derek Heritage

Chris Lloyd

Is your new domain on the same server as the old one? If it is, you should be able to just change the config.php file about line #58 look for tngdomain

Philip Roy

I’ve just finished some Mac related how to’s on the wiki for downloading a copy of a website and then uploading a copy. Most of the process is the same on a PC…and basically if you read both of these you should get a good idea of how to go from one host to another.

Basically do the ‘downloading a copy’ part of this tutorial…

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/How_to_download_a_copy_of_your_website_to_your_Mac_and_run_it_locally_using_MAMP

And do the uploading part of this…

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Copying_your_local_TNG_website_from_your_Mac_or_PC_to_your_web_hosting_provider_for_the_first_time

Ken Roy
13 hours ago, Derek Heritage said:

If I have a new domain and want to transfer my database to it is it possible to download from the old site via ftp and upload to the new one? Or, failing that to download the media and upload to the new site. If so which files need to be copied? Thanks in advance.

Derek Heritage

Derek,

You might also want to look at the articles in the Data Protection  category.  While there is not a specific article on moving a site to a new host. The articles on database backup and restore might be helpful.

I use MySQLDumper  which Henny recommended a long time ago and Rick Bisbee update to work with PHP 8 and posted the download on the TNG WIki since the original developer no longer supports the software.   MySQLDumper allows you to create a backup of one database and restore to a different database as well as restore only selected tables.

Derek Heritage

Thanks, everyone, but I decided it best to totally start over. But I'm now having other problems which I've contacted Daryn about.

Derek

tngrlkrz
On 12/4/2021 at 3:43 PM, Ken Roy said:

I use MySQLDumper  which Henny recommended a long time ago and Rick Bisbee update to work with PHP 8 and posted the download on the TNG WIki

I too have been using the latest version 1.30.1 that Rick since he posted it.  Locally, on PHP 8.0.7,  I do get this error when attempting to look at the schema on the 'home' page.  However, the actual backup appears to work just fine.   I will send Rick a note.

Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: Unsupported operand types: string + string in R:\Laragon\www\dumper\inc\home\databases.php:140 Stack trace: #0 R:\Laragon\www\dumper\main.php(34): include() #1 {main} thrown in R:\Laragon\www\dumper\inc\home\databases.php on line 140