TNG Community
wingfield

WAMP vs online homepage

wingfield

Hello,

not sure if this is appropriate forum for the question; but I run TNG integrated with WP using Ladykat method.  I have my website successfully running on both online server and on prem WAMP server.  the installs are exactly the same in that I downloaded the folders, did a db export from online with import back to WAMP, subsequent wp_options table changes for home and siteurl, as well as update the wp-config.php for db_user and db_password and db_host.  the only difference is a slight version difference in MYSQL & PHP (I don't really think this matters, but mentioning it for completeness).  So here's my question.  online, when I type in my URL (which is www.themeinerts.com), my homepage comes up.  on my WAMP server, when I type 127.0.0.1:8088, it pulls up the wampserver page.  so I have to add the wp directory to get to my home page.  so it requires this - http://127.0.0.1:8088/wp/.   Any thoughts on what's going on??  why is my WAMP server requiring the /wp/ directory at the end of the URL????  this is causing me some issues because I'm using relative paths in some menu links to pages.

hope this makes sense.  I've also included pics of the wp_options table for both WAMP and online.

David

wp_options-online.jpg

wp_options-wamp.jpg

theKiwi

Take a look at this page - about putting a copy of the wp index.php outside the wp folder and having it be the root.

Does that fix this inconsistency?

Is there a .htaccess file in the online site's root folder, and one in your localhost root folder? Are they similar?

Roger

wingfield

Roger,

I copied the index.php from my wp subdirectory in wamp to the root.  when I do that, I get an error (see attachment error_wp).  yes, I have .htaccess in root of both WAMP and online.  they are similar wrt the wp sections.  they are shown in the attachment (htacces.jpg).  the left is WAMP, the right is online.

htaccess.jpg

error_wp.jpg

theKiwi
9 hours ago, wingfield said:

I copied the index.php from my wp subdirectory in wamp to the root.  when I do that, I get an error (see attachment error_wp). 

Sorry - I see I forgot to include the link I meant to...

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Using_TNG_and_WordPress_with_the_tng-wordpress-plugin#WordPress

You have to edit that file as shown on the page that's linked in Section 2 of the WordPress Section - Steps 1 through 11 of Section II on this page

https://wordpress.org/support/article/giving-wordpress-its-own-directory/#method-ii-with-url-change

Roger

wingfield

Hello Roger,

thank you for the reply.  a couple of comments / questions.  It looks like a great deal to digest, and I will read it.

(a) the first section states "Follow the instructions 1 - 11 in the Method II (With URL change) section of this page to move a copy of the WordPress index.php and the .htaccess files out of the wp folder to the site's root".  my WAMP install and my online install both have wordpress installed in a "wp" folder.  neither install is in the root, so my situation does not reflect a directory move.  that said, why would this step 1 - 11 process work?  is there some WAMP issue that makes it different??

(b) on another note, and please take this as "hearsay".  I see you are using Suffusion for your WP integration.  I've used Suffusion for many, many years and have found it a fantastic theme in terms of its ability to integrate with any of the methods espoused on these forums.  So I'm sharing that just to foundationally let you know that am a big Suffusion fan.  Having said that, I've been told by a hosting company that I work with that Suffusion is going to break with the next "major" release of WP - whatever that might be.  We both know that Suffusion has not been supported since 2016 (similar to TMG, I suppose.....).  I think about these types of things with regularity, and for transparency - I will continue to use TMG until it simply breaks.  With my web presence, I've chosen to move on - as I was more concerned about an online disruption compared to an on prem issue.  Anyway, I certainly respect whatever decision you make.  My intent was simply to give you a polite share of information; which frankly may not even be accurate.

I very much appreciate the support you always provide on this forum.

David

theKiwi
50 minutes ago, wingfield said:

(a) the first section states "Follow the instructions 1 - 11 in the Method II (With URL change) section of this page to move a copy of the WordPress index.php and the .htaccess files out of the wp folder to the site's root".  my WAMP install and my online install both have wordpress installed in a "wp" folder.  neither install is in the root, so my situation does not reflect a directory move.  that said, why would this step 1 - 11 process work?  is there some WAMP issue that makes it different??

This process is aimed at removing the "wp" from the URLs on your site - so all the WordPress files live in the folder wp, but the wp doesn't show in the URL to the pages.

50 minutes ago, wingfield said:

(b) on another note, and please take this as "hearsay".  I see you are using Suffusion for your WP integration.  I've used Suffusion for many, many years and have found it a fantastic theme in terms of its ability to integrate with any of the methods espoused on these forums.  So I'm sharing that just to foundationally let you know that am a big Suffusion fan.  Having said that, I've been told by a hosting company that I work with that Suffusion is going to break with the next "major" release of WP - whatever that might be.  We both know that Suffusion has not been supported since 2016 (similar to TMG, I suppose.....).  I think about these types of things with regularity, and for transparency - I will continue to use TMG until it simply breaks.  With my web presence, I've chosen to move on - as I was more concerned about an online disruption compared to an on prem issue.  Anyway, I certainly respect whatever decision you make.  My intent was simply to give you a polite share of information; which frankly may not even be accurate.

Suffusion is still supported on GitHub by some volunteers, so I'll believe it's broken when I see it's broken.

My testing site is set up to automatically update WordPress to every new alpha and beta version release as they come out, and it's still working with "WordPress 5.9-beta1-52318".

Roger

wingfield

Hello Roger,

So I've read these 11 steps a few times, and I'm a bit confused.  steps 2,3,and 4 see to state that I change the wp address and site address on the location from which I'm moving the site, which in my case would be the online version.  it then says click save and ignore the errors; which of course would happen, because I'd be changing my online URL to 127.0.0.1:8088.  then proceed onwards.  the steps never say anything about how to fix my online presence???  can I simply change those URL's back to the online URL??  I'm a bit hesitant to try this procedure with the possibility of messing up my online presence.  am I misunderstanding something??

=====================================

1. Create the new location for the core WordPress files to be stored (we will use /wordpress in our examples). (On linux, use mkdir wordpress from your www directory. You’ll probably want to use chown apache:apache on the wordpress directory you created.)
  2. Go to the General Screen.
  3. In WordPress address (URL): set the address of your main WordPress core files. Example: http://example.com/wordpress
  4. In Site address (URL): set root directory’s URL. Example: http://example.com
  5. Click Save Changes. (Do not worry about the errors that happen now! Continue reading)
  6. Now move your WordPress core files (from root directory) to the subdirectory.
  7. Copy (NOT MOVE!) the index.php and .htaccess files from the WordPress directory

=========================

theKiwi
14 hours ago, wingfield said:

So I've read these 11 steps a few times, and I'm a bit confused.  steps 2,3,and 4 see to state that I change the wp address and site address on the location from which I'm moving the site, which in my case would be the online version. 

No - you're moving your site from 

http://someaddress/wp

to

http://someaddress/

Isn't what you're trying to achieve - to get rid of the "wp" in the URLs on your local site?

Roger

wingfield

Roger,

I'm "copying", not moving.  I"m wanting to copy my online site to my WAMP site.

David

theKiwi
5 hours ago, wingfield said:

I'm "copying", not moving.  I"m wanting to copy my online site to my WAMP site.

I understand that entirely - I'm trying to answer this question in your original post

On 12/3/2021 at 7:55 PM, wingfield said:

so it requires this - http://127.0.0.1:8088/wp/.   Any thoughts on what's going on??

So you need to "MOVE" your site from

http://127.0.0.1:8088/wp/

to

http://127.0.0.1:8088/

Isn't that what you're trying to achieve?

Roger

wingfield

Hello Roger,

my original posts states...

On 12/3/2021 at 6:55 PM, wingfield said:

I have my website successfully running on both online server and on prem WAMP server.

so I have both online and on prem.  then further on I state....

online, when I type in my URL (which is www.themeinerts.com), my homepage comes up.  on my WAMP server, when I type 127.0.0.1:8088, it pulls up the wampserver page.

here I'm stating that the results of typing the URL for my online presence vs my WAMP presence is different; even though both the folders and db have been pulled over appropriately.

I'm not moving my server.  I want to preserve my online presence.  I'm wanting my WAMP server to reflect what I have online, so I'm "copying" my online presence into WAMP - but even though everything is exactly the same, I need to put "wp" in the WAMP URL to pull up my homepage, further a number of the menu items don't work.  

so my question is below.

why is my WAMP server requiring the /wp/ directory at the end of the URL????  this is causing me some issues because I'm using relative paths in some menu links to pages.

does this make sense??  I'm asking how to fix this issue; especially since as far as I can tell, I've exported / imported the db through PHPmyadmin, and copied entirety of WP folder from online to WAMP.  in other words, I'd expect them to act exactly the same; but they don't.

David

Chris Lloyd

Have a look at your wamp file structure - I suspect that your WP installation is in a separate folder and not in the root.

I use AMPPS and my tng installation is in its own folder so needs the folder in the urtl:

image.png

I am not using WP, but on a previous installation WP was in a folder below the root.

theKiwi
3 hours ago, wingfield said:
On 12/3/2021 at 7:55 PM, wingfield said:

why is my WAMP server requiring the /wp/ directory at the end of the URL????  this is causing me some issues because I'm using relative paths in some menu links to pages.

does this make sense??  I'm asking how to fix this issue; especially since as far as I can tell, I've exported / imported the db through PHPmyadmin, and copied entirety of WP folder from online to WAMP.  in other words, I'd expect them to act exactly the same; but they don't.

I have tried to explain this to you - the page I gave the link to is to fix exactly the problem you're having - that you have all your files in a folder called wp and so wp occurs in the URL of everything.

Move a copy of the index.php from the wp folder to the root and then edit it as instructed, and follow the other instructions, and then when all done properly the URLs on the WAMP server will NOT have wp in them.

This is the setup of one of my WordPress sites

image.png

- you can see wp and tng beside each other, yet wp doesn't appear in any URLs on my site.

Roger