TNG Community
Philip Roy

Forum requires login

Philip Roy

Re - 

I get the decision, but the fact that members weren't informed (via email or DM) probably wasn't a great move. I subscribe to the RSS feed on the site and wondered why there was nothing coming through after a few days (I just read headlines and then decided whether to read or not).

When I came to the forum to try and figure out why, my first instinct was "oh, there are problems"..and when it didn't go away, I thought "Oh, they've been hacked".

I'm literally sitting here with a draft email to Darrin (I'm not on the mailing list) asking if he knew what was up...and decided to chance it and login. If I hadn't, I would never have known.

If there is a way to message everyone directly, or a way to have a publicly visible message saying access requires a login? I'm not seeing it.

Now I have to try and figure out if I can still use the RSS feed ;-(

Philip Roy

OK, first apologies, as I think I posted this in the wrong area.

I've spent about an hour trying to get access to a password protected RSS feed to work..with no luck.

Can I ask that those managing the forums look at how to make the RSS feed accessible or re-think the change concerning not allowing guests to be able to view content....I don't get that decision and it is affecting (I suspect) my ability to subscribe to the RSS activity feed.

With my previous comment, the danger is that people come to the forums and see nothing. If I was a new user and didn't see any activity, forums or posts...I'd leave rather than think I need to register first.

Completely get requiring accounts for posts...some forums also have settings that require a user's very first post to be approved (and stops any other post before that)? I know that's extra work, but it stops the spam.

I'm subscribed to over 50 website RSS feeds...it's easier to get topics in my RSS reader than have to come back to the forum to find out what is happening.

RickM

Hi Philip,

I'm not going to get into the debate about the access changes, like you I do understand the reasoning.. I was reporting the spam messages when I saw it. It has obviously taken some time for the spammers to get here.. had never see it before..

51 minutes ago, Philip Roy said:

Completely get requiring accounts for posts...some forums also have settings that require a user's very first post to be approved (and stops any other post before that)? I know that's extra work, but it stops the spam.

I wonder if the Sysops of the Forums would agree to having one or two extra 'Moderators' who might be able to deal with spam.. I suggesting that the differing time zones mean it would be difficult for the current sysops to stay on top of such.. Perhaps look round and elect members (who are willing) from strategic time zones to help deal with it..

You might put your hand up.. They wouldn't want me!!

theKiwi

@Philip Roy

The changes were made in consultation with Darrin. The thought that someone might be using RSS didn't occur to us at the time.

I've (tried to) set up a new RSS feed that should/might be outside of the requirement to be logged in.

RSS Feed for Guests

Can you see and access that now?

If not, I can look at undoing the requirement to be logged in to view the content.

I haven't used RSS in years, but can't get the one I just downloaded (Vienna for Mac OS)  to download that feed - it can see it being advertised though.

Roger

Philip Roy

The feed works in that it is a valid feed...but it has no content. I'm assuming this is permissions things around what permissions a guest member has...so you may have to play around with guest permissions.

I am concerned that the forum content isn't accessible without registering. I consider myself a relatively intelligent person and I studied post-grad comp sci...but when I was met with this...

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 2.39.55 PM.png

...my first thought wasn't "Oh I need to log in"...as mentioned, I was close to emailing Darrin thinking it was an issue.

I'm not convinced those who come to this forum for the first time will assume they need to register. I'd look at it and think the forums were offline or dead in the water.

Ironically, I found out about TNG by googling and ending up at this forum as I searched the net for a number of products...and I'm quick to look at community support as a first hint of how well a piece of software is going. For example, I just did that with Vienna (that you mention) out of curiosity, to see how active it was. I do the same with apps on iOS...I don't install anything that's not being maintained.

Why is this important? First impressions. A blank page or lack of access to content could (I believe) easily put some people off. Oh and to be clear, I don't use Facebook or sign up to mailing lists...so the forum is my go to place for TNG.

theKiwi

@Philip Roy

I've re-enabled Guest viewing - you should now be able to see the Forum in the RSS feed again.

Roger

Philip Roy

Thanks...that's sorted it. Great to have the RSS feed back!

Katryne

Thank you Roger : RSS is back !