TNG Community

Anyone using Luke Weerts' Wikipedia Link mod with other than English

Ken Roy

Hi Everyone,

If any of you are using Luke Weerts' Wikipedia Link Mod

with languages other than English, please post your translations for

$text['wikilinks'] = "Wikipedia links for";

It is difficult to know since most mod users do not appear to think it is necessary to update the Sites Using table of TNG Wiki mod page

I need to update the mod for a PHP 8 fatal error so it would be nice to add the languages being used

Thanks,

I would say for French :

$text[wikilinks] = "Liens Wikipedia pour";

I see that the link is only towards the English version of Wikipedia : en.wikipedia.org (and http, not https.)

Would it be possible for the mod to detect the browser or the tng site language in use and leads to the appropriate version of Wikipedia ? Also, the first link (complete) seems to be effective mostly for US locations. And gives errors for other countries, because it looks for exact wording as title in Wikipedia, such as entered by the TNG webmaster.

Merci Katryne,

I will have to look at Luke Weerts' original code to see how easy it would be to allow changing the Wikipedia link. 

4 hours ago, Katryne said:

Would it be possible for the mod to detect the browser or the tng site language in use and leads to the appropriate version of Wikipedia ? Also, the first link (complete) seems to be effective mostly for US locations.

Are you currently using the mod?  With users no longer updating which mods they use it is often difficult to make a decision whether it is worth pursuing making changes.  Currently would require more effort and testing that I am willing to spend while beta testing TNG 13.1 with PHP 8

5 hours ago, Rob Severijns said:

Ken,

I think it's better to use:

$text['wikilinks'] = "Wikipedia link naar:";

Rob

Thanks Rob,

I will add the Dutch-UTF8 cust_text.php

1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

Merci Katryne,

I will have to look at Luke Weerts' original code to see how easy it would be to allow changing the Wikipedia link. 

Are you currently using the mod?  With users no longer updating which mods they use it is often difficult to make a decision whether it is worth pursuing making changes.  Currently would require more effort and testing that I am willing to spend while beta testing TNG 13.1 with PHP 8

Katryne,

I took a brief look on my production site, the first link is based on how you enter your place names in TNG.  The 2nd link breaks the place names in pieces.  This would require a lot more effort than I am willing to expend at the moment since I do not necessarily understand PHP terms like explode and array_walk. 

If someone wants this mod to work for non-English wikipedia, I will gladly turn the mod support over to them.

Ken, I installed it once and uninstalled it very soon. It does not seem to be useful to non-English-speaking users. The top link (complete) will be useful only for webmasters who enter the place exactly as it is entered in Wikipedia. And you know that there are as many standards for this as there are genealogists...

Katryne,

Oui ce comprends ça tres bien.  I worked with a genealogist from Paris working at the time and he insisted that all places should use 5 name location identifiers - actual location, town, county, state, and country and that if you did not know the complete place name, you use commas, so my Roys in France which is actually his database as of 2006 time frame has lots of entries that start with commas.  For France, he and I had agreed on using commune, départment, région, France

2 hours ago, Katryne said:

The top link (complete) will be useful only for webmasters who enter the place exactly as it is entered in Wikipedia

Not a likely scenario for any genealogist.