TNG Community
jhculbert

Home TNG Full Installation - Step 5 Failure - SOLVED

jhculbert

I want to install TNG v. 13 on a newer MacBook Air running OSX Big Sur, as my current desktop computer (with TNG) is much older and getting cranky.

I have installed MAMP successfully, and unpacked the TNG zip file for v.13.0.3.

I am now at step 7 of the installation readme file, and when I accept the default Database Collection: entry of utf8_general_ci, and then click the Save and Create button, I get a popup window shown in the attached screenshot.  Closing that popup, the messages says: Please wait, attempting to process.

Nothing else happens.  I have tried this several times with the same result.

Can anyone point to anything I can do at this point to move forward?

Jim Culbert

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 8.20.57 AM.png

Edited by theKiwi
Changed title to reflect correct problem, and indicate it's solved now

Ken Roy

Jim,

I know nothing about MacBooks nor MAMP, but if Step 7 is Create the database tables:

then the Username specified in Step 6 Establish a connection to your database:

does not have sufficient authority to create the database tables.  You need to use a Username that you associated with your database that has full authority over the database

Rob Severijns

Jim,

I was just wondering why you install 13.0.3 instead of 13.0.4?

Any specific reason?

Rob

jhculbert

Thanks, Ken.  But I have no clue how to obtain those permissions if I do not have them.  Will try calling Apple Support.

Thanks, Rob.  Your question is not relevant to my issue, but in answer - that is what I have installed.  In addition, I use my home installation as my master copy that I then use to update my public site, which has the same version installed.

Jim

Rob Severijns

Ah, got it :-)

Ken Roy
1 hour ago, jhculbert said:

Thanks, Ken.  But I have no clue how to obtain those permissions if I do not have them.  Will try calling Apple Support.

Jim,

You should read the TNG Getting Started Guide  specifically the Database - Creating article.

jhculbert

Ken,

Reading that information doesn't help much with computer permissions issues!

I have consulted with Apple Support, and now have a new Admin User master password reset.

I also checked that my MAMP folder is set to read write.

Unfortunately, when I try full installation steps 5, 6, or 7, all I get is:  Please wait, attempting to process.

Maybe I need to forget about using the readme file and try to do the full installation manually, using PhpMyAdmin?

I have used the PhpMyAdmin to create the database and added myself as a user.  But I still cannot get past step 5 now.

Ken Roy

Jim,

This has nothing to do with computer permissions.  It has to do with your MySQL database user permission.  

You need to use phpMyAdmin and create a user that has full authority over the database as shown in Creating database user in phpMyAdmin or in Database User

If on your home computer where no one else can access, in WampServer the default database user  is root with no password.  I do not know what the default user is on MacIntosh MySQL.  I am a Windows user.

theKiwi
3 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

If on your home computer where no one else can access, in WampServer the default database user  is root with no password.  I do not know what the default user is on MacIntosh MySQL.  I am a Windows user.

I just asked Google - on MAMP the default username and password is root/root

Step 5 is "Choose your language and character set:" - are you getting stuck there now?

I have my TNG sites on a Macintosh server, but it's not running MAMP, but rather my own installs of Apache, PHP and MySQL, so don't have any ideas on how MAMP works.

Roger

Philip Roy

Start the app on your Mac. Click start....(and wait until it changes to "Stop")

001.png

Click Webstart...

002.png

When the page loads, click MySQL...

003.png

There's your username and password....

004.png

jhculbert

I am bamboozled by this, as I cannot get past Step 5 until I make some sort of change, and do not know what to do.

Comparing my working TNG on my old desktop to what I have completed of the TNG installation on my newer laptop:

Using phpMyAdmin and going to the TNG database, and checking privileges, I see myself (jhculbert) on both with all (global) privileges.  There also are Mamp (1) and root (3) users listed.

Since I do not log in to get to this information, I do not understand why there is a focus on this aspect.  All I do is click on phpMyAdmin in the MAMP tools menu.

There must be somewhere else I have a permissions issue.

In response to Philip, using MAMP, I do not have the option to manually load MySQL.  It starts automatically when I start  MAMP.

Ken Roy

Jim,

It is rather simple.  If you are using this locally only,  then the database username / password needs to be root / root if I read Philip's post correctlhy.

If you are providing outside internet access then you need to define a MySQL database user using phpMyAdmin.

You need to use the TNG readme.html open in your browser to do the install and not by right clicking the readme.html and opening it as a file.

Philip Roy
56 minutes ago, jhculbert said:

In response to Philip, using MAMP, I do not have the option to manually load MySQL.  It starts automatically when I start  MAMP.

Then just ignore the bit where I suggest you push start, as it’s started already.

Philip Roy

@Ken Roy @jhculbert I'm a bit swamped at the moment, but I if it would be of use, I'm willing to write up an "Installing TNG locally on a Mac using MAMP" including screenshots. I work as an instructional designer, so writing instructions is easy for me.

Ken, if I did this in one HTML doc and screen shots, would it be OK to zip it and send it to you? I really don't want to get in to dealing with the wiki...just hoping you'd be willing to do that bit? Don't need credit or anything.

It's going to be probably at least a week away...but the offer is there.

Note - giving people external access to a local install would not be included. That's beyond me.

Ken Roy

Philip,

a MacBook MAMP install procedure might be helpful for the Mac TNG  users, but I strongly suspect that updating some of the articles I referenced earlier in this thread to show image captures for installing TNG on Mamp  instead of WAMP or XAMMP might be all that is needed at the moment.

Somehow Jim is not getting the point that he needs to use root for the username and password when going through he readme full install.for the Establish a connection to your database:

step.   I also do not understand Jim's last post.

I am very busy with TNG 13.1beta testing .  The TNG Wiki does understand HTML  even though it has its own wiki syntax as well.  I have not attempted to use the Visual Editor directly.  I will be glad to help with wiki formatting if need be.  So you could create the article directly on the wiki or copy your HTML doc into a wiki article.

Philip Roy

Part of the reason I worded my post in the way that I did was because I looked at those pages and didn't know where to start. There's a lot going on, on that page...so that may be why jhculbert is getting confused. I was offering a step-by-step start to finish.

What I'll probably do is just attach it here as a PDF. I'm also confused by the comments being posted, as it's hard to visualise what is being talked about without seeing it....hence why I thought starting from scratch with an install process for a Mac might help.

Ken Roy

Philip,

A step by step article is probably best.  Unfortunately, the timing is not great for me to help a lot.

There has long been a need for an article on going from an ISP to a home computer or vice versa. 

Philip Roy

I'll try and do them all...but it will be Mac related...but if I get enough time, I'll do a Windoze version also. Will be at least a week away (ironically it's a 3 day weekend soon in NZ, so I think I know what I'll be doing then)...and just put them here as PDFs.....and then we can figure out what to do with them properly after that. It will be short on explanation and focussed on steps (less is more).

Enjoy the beta testing.

jhculbert

Reply to Ken from 22 hours ago;     NO!  It is not so simple.  Don't be patronizing.  Just keep to technical advice.

I already said I was installing TNG on a home computer.  I do not do any login to get to MAMP, or phpMyAdmin.  I do open the readme.html from the proper file location using the localhost URL in my Safari browser.  The one difference is I do not have root/root as a defined user with global privileges.  I have three roots as users, but the host names are: 127.0.0.1, ::1, and localhost, respectively.  All have global privileges.  This is the SAME users setup of users as found on my working TNG desktop installation, and have the same privileges.  Please explain how this can work in one installation, and not another, particularly when I DO NOT log in!

-----------------------------------------------

Reply to Philip from 18 hours ago:  I do not think I need an installation manual.  Instead, I need to troubleshoot why the current installation is not working.  I have done a successful installation, and upgrade from 12.3 to 13.0.3 in the past, so I do know what to expect.  I just don't know what to do when the installation doesn't progress as expected.  I am not expecting immediate assistance, but do want to move my TNG from an old desktop to a newer laptop at some point, the sooner the better.

-----------------------------------------------

Reply to Ken from 17 hours ago:   Please explain: "Somehow Jim is not getting the point that he needs to use root for the username and password when going through he readme full install.for the Establish a connection to your database:  step."  How do I USE those when everything I try fails??  For TNG installation Step 6 I have also tried Host Name: %, Database Name: TNG, and no Database User Name or password, as this is exactly what is shown for login information for user root@localhost on my laptop.  I have also tried Host Name: localhost, Database Name: TNG, Database User: localhost, and no password, as this is exactly what is shown for login information for user root@localhost on my working TNG desktop copy.

But, since I have also failed at Step 5, I wonder why the focus is now on Step 6.  Don't I need success at Step 5 before proceeding?

I would be happy to provide screenshots if I knew what would be of use to those wanting visuals.

Thanks, all!

Jim Culbert

Ken Roy

Jim,

I am not trying to be patronizing, maybe I have too many irons in the fire, with trying to clean up my own WampServer environment, and beta testing TNG 13.1

It would help if your named the steps and not just say Step 5 since in my readme for TNG 13.1 that is where you select the language.

in the step where you specify how TNG needs to connect to your database

Host Name:	should be localhost (but in Windows that requires that you updated the hosts file)
Database Name:	your local MySQL database 
Database Username:	root
Database Password:  root

If I understood what Philip posted

Philip Roy

Ok well that saves me time.

Part of the problem is that you keep using terms like “global privileges” and I have no idea what that means. That’s not through lack of experience in my part…I used to own New Zealand’s largest Mac website and wrote for a Mac magazine. So I thought why don’t I kill 2 birds with 1 stone and write a “how to”…which might help you at step 5 to see what was possibly wrong, but also help others. I won’t do that now.

I’m about to go traveling for a  couple of days and won”t have my Mac with me (coz it’s a 5K iMac) so I’ll leave my response at that.

Correction - I will get to it...I'm just not going to rush :-)

jhculbert

Ken, 

Step 5, Choose your language and character set:, is the first step now that currently still fails.  No one has addressed if/how I can proceed with Step 6, Establish a connection to your database:, when Step 5 fails.  Nevertheless, ignoring the Step 5 issue, I cannot get Step 6 to work using root for both database username and password either.  In both steps I get the response I described initially (still at the top of this message stream).

Originally, I also had the same issue at Step 3, Set permissions:, but that worked after my visit with Apple Support to get my permissions for the hard drive changed by resetting my Admin password.

How to instructions/manuals are good, in general, but they assume if your follow them, the process will work.  The problem remains what to do when the TNG installation process doesn't work as expected.

Jim  

Ken Roy

Jim,

I have no clue as to why you cannot get pass Step 5 Choose your language and character set:

As I indicated previously I am not a MacBook user.  If you want help you will need to provide a bit more information such as the Apache error log or the PHP error log for the reason you cannot get any further.   I also nothing about MAMP but would not have expected Step 3 Set Permissions to fail but then MAMP might not work like WAMP does where the permissions are for the Apache server environment and not the Apple server nor the Microsoft IIS server.

Sorry, but I have exceeded my capability to help in your environment.  I replied previously because I had encountered a similar problem where I could not complete Step 7 Create the database tables:  because the database user specified in Step 6 Establish a connection to your database:  did not have enough authority to create the TNG tables within the database specified.

Best regards in resolving your issue.  There are several articles in the Setup category and in the Charset category that might help, but none of them are Mac specific.

theKiwi

I don't use MAMP, but run a Mac mini server for my several TNG Sites and other sites too.

Have you tried starting from scratch with what you now know - that the userID/password is root/root.

I'd even go so far as to delete MAMP and reinstall that and then a new TNG install into that and see if you can get it to work now that you know a bit more about how it's all meant to work.

Roger

Michel KIRSCH

Jim, i'm not using MAMP, but Laragon.

When upgrading to a newer version of my local server, using 127.0.0.1 was no more possible. I MUST use localhost instead.=> do you try the two possibilities?

You are migrating from an old PC to a newer : are your versions of Apache and MySQL 64 bits or 32 bits?. You can use 32 or 64 but the two must be 32 or 64.=> do you verify this?

Michel