TNG Community
jhculbert

Home TNG Full Installation - Step 5 Failure - SOLVED

Michel KIRSCH

Jim,

try with host name = 127.0.0.1

Michel

Michel KIRSCH

is your database created before running the TNG install process?

is well "TNG" the name of the database you've created?

How do you create your database?

- With MAMP? then the password is "root"

- yourself? which password do you use to create it?

Philip Roy
5 hours ago, jhculbert said:

"IMPORTANT: This is the FULL INSTALLATION guide. If you are upgrading an existing installation, please exit this page immediately and refer instead to the readme file that came with your upgrade!"

That is somewhat misleading because it pertains to which readme file to use for the installation, and does not refer to the zip file it came from.

Umm, “the readme that came with your upgrade”…literally refers to the read me file that came with the upgrade…the upgrade being the zipped upgrade that you’re saying it doesn’t refer to.

jhculbert

Michel,

In Step 6 you can see from my screenshot that the database name is TNG, and should be created by the TNG installation process.  The TNG installation process then asks for a database username and database password.

Unfortunately, returning to this to try your suggestion for a different root name, my Safari browser will no longer open the readme file at URL:

localhost:8888/tng/tngfiles1304/readme.html

This did not occur when I started the installation and proceeded successfully to Step 6.  I have never had this problem before, and do not know how to fix this.  The readme.html file is located under MAMP/htdocs/tng/tngfiles1304/  The MAMP server has specified the document root as: Applications > MAMP > htdocs, so I have not been using that part in the URL.

I consider the failure to suggest what should be put in the blanks for Step 6 to be a significant issue that hinders successful TNG implementation.

Philip,

Umm....., like I said , the file was sent to me by someone who should have known better, so I assumed it was for a new installation.  And, it does say that it "is the FULL INSTALLATION guide."

Jim

theKiwi
1 hour ago, Philip Roy said:

Umm, “the readme that came with your upgrade”…literally refers to the read me file that came with the upgrade…the upgrade being the zipped upgrade that you’re saying it doesn’t refer to.

Actually the upgrades contain TWO read me files - one called simply readme.html and the other readme12x-13.html (as an example).

I'm not quite sure why the upgrades contain the full readme.html file, but that is where that heading came from.

Roger

theKiwi
34 minutes ago, jhculbert said:

In Step 6 you can see from my screenshot that the database name is TNG, and should be created by the TNG installation process.  The TNG installation process then asks for a database username and database password.

While it doesn't specifically say so, you need to use some other tool to actually create the database - the normal tool for this would be the Databases tool in a host's cPanel, but you don't have that. But you should have phpMyAdmin as part of MAMP that will let you create a database and assign the user rights to it.

Unfortunately, returning to this to try your suggestion for a different root name, my Safari browser will no longer open the readme file at URL:

localhost:8888/tng/tngfiles1304/readme.html

This did not occur when I started the installation and proceeded successfully to Step 6.  I have never had this problem before, and do not know how to fix this.  The readme.html file is located under MAMP/htdocs/tng/tngfiles1304/  The MAMP server has specified the document root as: Applications > MAMP > htdocs, so I have not been using that part in the URL.

What happens when you try to load the readme.html file now?

I consider the failure to suggest what should be put in the blanks for Step 6 to be a significant issue that hinders successful TNG implementation.

Neither TNG, nor Darrin can know what you have called your database that you would create using phpMyAdmin - but the userID and password for this are apparent once you've created a database and assigned user rights to it.

Philip,

Umm....., like I said , the file was sent to me by someone who should have known better, so I assumed it was for a new installation.  And, it does say that it "is the FULL INSTALLATION guide."

For some reason I'm not aware of, the TNG upgrade folders contain TWO readme files - the full install readme.html and then a readme12x-13.html. Your previous use of the full file was failing because you'd only uploaded the files from an upgrade, so were attempting to write to files (eg config.php) that simply didn't exist in the upgrade package you'd installed.

Roger

Ken Roy

Jim,

1 hour ago, jhculbert said:

It has been my experience that most local web servers CANNOT create the database.  You have to create it outside of the full install using phpMyAdmin.  See Database - Creating on Local WampServer but since I am not a Mac or MAMP user, I am not sure those instructiosn are sufficient.  I see Roger answered while I was composing this and finding the correct links.

Since the file was sent to you by someone else, I am going to ask whether you are a registered TNG user because you would have received an email from Darrin with the necessary credentials to download from the TNG software download site and not be getting files from another user.

Philip Roy

I’ve actually ended up taking Friday off here in New Zealand, to have an even longer weekend (Monday is a holiday). If you give me a few hours I’m going to do a run through on my Mac and I will record the whole thing and make the recording available. I like to do that before I then write training material.

Hopefully that should be enough to get you started whilst I write the material for everyone over the long weekend. Once again your patience is appreciated 

Philip Roy

To clarify…I already use MAMP and have a local install of TNG of my own private site…but my demo will be from start to end for a newbie

Philip Roy

Wow...this is embarrassing. Just spent the past 2 hours trying to get any part of the local TNG install process working and I can't what is going on. I think it's my Mac as I do a lot of dev work and playing around on it and things....so I may have to set up a new Mac partition and user account with a clean install of Big Sur to figure out what is going on.

@jhculbert In the meantime, folks have pointed out what looks like a flaw in your steps. You say that the process creates the DB...it doesn't.

• With MAMP running, click on the Webstart icon (or the web start page may already be open)
  • Go up to tools and choose phpMyAdmin

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 1.34.01 PM.png

• On the page that loads, click "New" (top left) to create a database
  • I called mine tng-db and clicked Create

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 1.29.53 PM.png

• Now...going back to the Read Me...here's the settings I would use...

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 1.30.42 PM.png

Michel KIRSCH
12 hours ago, jhculbert said:

From : https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Database_-_Creating

The TNG readme.html that installs the TNG software might be able to create your database if the user name you are logged in with has the authority to do so. If you only get back Please wait, attempting to process... and it just appears to hang, you may not have authority to create the database. The following should help you create the database that you specify in the readme.html

Etc...

jhculbert

Philip, et. al.

Success! 

Today, I was able to access the readme.html file again.  I followed Philip's suggestion to create the TNG database using phpMyAdmin, then entered TNG for the database name, plus root and root and Step 6 was verified.  I then went thru the remaining TNG installation steps without any issues.  I'm now in business!  The strange thing about this is that when I originally installed TNG 12.3 initially on my home iMac way back when, I did have guidance from an expert, but do not recall using phpMyAdmin to create the TNG database.

In response to Ken's question about the "legality" of my TNG use, I'm a member of the Guild of One-Name Studies, and have paid for a TNG license.  It is just that the Guild is an intermediary between me and Darrin, so I must go to the Guild for initial help, like getting access to TNG installation files, since the Guild sets up TNG websites for members upon request.  This is the way Darrin has set up the working agreement with the Guild for it's growing set of TNG websites (now about 260).

I am so grateful you folks are out there to assist others when help is need.  On! On!  Thanks also to Philip for being willing to create a users guide for home TNG installations on a Mac.

Finally, if someone will please tell me how to edit the title of this message stream to indicate that it is now RESOLVED, I'll do that.

Jim

theKiwi

Finally, if someone will please tell me how to edit the title of this message stream to indicate that it is now RESOLVED, I'll do that.

I've changed the title of the posting.

Roger the Admin