TNG Community

Using TNG on two different pages but in same website? And login page?

jasenick

Hello!

I'm considering getting TNG and using Wordpress to host it.  Before I proceed, I have a question.

My grandparents are from two different towns in Southern Italy.  Over the past 25 years, I've amassed a large database of families from both towns. I would like to make a separate TNG page for each but under one website.  Do I need to purchase two TNGs, or can I use one for both pages?

Also, would it be possible to set up a login page for each for privacy reasons?

Thanks!

Jason

There are a couple of ways you could achieve this separateness...

1 - put everything into a single database, but have two trees in that database - one for each data set. Advantages of this include a single search to search both trees

2 - set up two separate databases, and have each one either in a sub-directory  - so

Genealogy/Database1
Genealogy/Database2

3 - use subdomains on your site, so 

database1.yoursite.com
database2.yoursite.com

Either of 2 and 3 you can do with a single TNG licence.

My suggestion would be to use a single site and database, and put the two datasets into different trees on your site - this means you're only maintaining 1 TNG site - options 2 and 3 means you're maintaining two sites.

Roger

Rob Severijns

Jason,

I've tried both option 2 & 3 too.

Only downside for me was the fact that I couldn't be logged in, in both databases at the same time.

I was logged out of database 1 at the moment I logged in in database 2

This was due to restrictions from my ISP that doesn't allow using multiple clusters.

In the end I went for option 1

Rob

Rob Severijns

Jason,

Asssigning user-access to only one of the two trees in the user menu should do the trick of seeing data of just one tree.

It doesn't require a seperate login.

I don't know how to force a login for each seperate tree.

Rob

Hello Jason,

I use option 1 above and have 10 trees in the same database. It works fine.

I have also installed a MOD called Each Tree Its Template so it is easy to see which tree you are seeing or working in. You can look at it as visitor at "www.lein.se/familjenjohnson" if you like (you can not see living people). All trees are in Swedish but you get a hint how it works.

Leif