TNG Community

What Genealogy software program.

Russellgs

Genealogy software used  

154 members have voted

1. 1. What Genealogy program do you use to maintain your database?

• Legacy
    • Family Tree Maker (FTM)
    • Ancestral Quest
    • Personal Ancestral File (PAF)
    • RootsMagic
    • Reunion
    • Family Origins
    • The Master Genealogist (TMG)
    • Family Tree Legends
    • Family Gathering
    • Brothers Keeper
    • TNG
    • Family Historian
    • Cumberland Family Tree
    • Win-Family
    • Other

• 4 weeks later...

I use Gramps. but I have to use Linux operating system, nd it's not confortable for me..

Since I am Mac User, I was using the very easy Gene 4.3.4 (from http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/gene/) but its works with older operating system. But its quick and its is possible to have many kinds of trees, and relations drawing.

I have just returned to my family tree. I, too, used Gene and I really miss it now. It was so simple. Have you found a good Macintosh alternative?

Regards,

Ken

My experience is quite different from this. When I first got TNG and realised how it works, I spent some time with my Reunion file making sure that every different field I had setup and used had a unique GEDCOM tag associated with it. Then I exported the GEDCOM and imported it into TNG.

Once this was done, use the TNG Admin ------> Custom Events area to give readable names to all the custome "events" that TNG had found in my GEDCOM file and set them to Accept. Then import the GEDCOM file again. Here is the page about my great grandfather who has the standard fields, plus a few custom fields as the Events tab shows in Reunion...

Here's his page as it shows in TNG

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/getperson.ph...&tree=Roger

Since I use TNG as a means to display my data online I have never exported a GEDCOM from TNG, but I've just done that this morning. I then imported that into a clone of my Reunion file - ie a file that had no people, but had my custom fields all set up and defined. Here's how that page looked in Reunion (compare it to the original Reunion file above...

Then I imported that same GEDCOM from TNG into a new empty "default" Reunion file, without changing the field names. Here's that same William Moffat

Seems like it's all there. I'd just need to change the field names to have it looking like the others.

Now there were some omissions from the Sources after I'd exported the GEDCOM from TNG and then imported that into Reunion. Some of my custom source fields that were in TNG didn't make it correctly back into Reunion. In one such example here is the code as exported by Reunion

0 @S218@ SOUR
1 TYPE Family Bible
1 TITL The Holy Bible of William Moffat and Ellen Shiels Houliston
1 PUBL published by William Collins, Sons & Co.
1 PAGE Family Register Parents Names page
1 FILE Image file BibleRegister1.jpg
1 TEXT
2 CONT Page scanned from Bible by Ewan Caldwell. Roger Moffat now has c
2 CONC ustody of this family bible.
Here it is displayed in TNG http://roger.lisaandroger.com/showsource.p...&tree=Roger and here's the code as exported by TNG back to a GEDCOM file...
0 @S218@ SOUR
1 TITL The Holy Bible of William Moffat and Ellen Shiels Houliston
1 PUBL published by William Collins, Sons & Co.
1 TEXT Page scanned from Bible by Ewan Caldwell. Roger Moffat now has custody of this family bible.

so for whatever reasons, TNG hasn't exported everything it knew about that source to the GEDCOM file.

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger

I can see you know a lot about the gedcom format, what to change. I am not happy with having to alter a program that costs nearly $200 to do what I think it should do, have tags that work first time up. I appreciate your response and your information, thanks very much.

I have decided that for me, the absolute ease of iFamily, its power and intuitive capabilities, and most importantly the way in which it handles gedcoms is too hassle free for me to not use.

I exported a gedcom from Reunion into iFamily, (code in iFamily has been written to fix reunion gedcoms tags), over 12,000 people. When I loaded the gedcom into iFamily I did not have to change one thing. I then exported a gedcom from that iFamily file up to TNG web site, and everything worked. I did not have to alter any tags at all.

So, I would prefer to go with iFamily, I don't have to adjust, alter, rename, fix any gedcom tags at all.

I think reunion is a great program, for me iFamily is better, it is designed for ease, not us having to fix things so they work. The incredible number of features it has make one smile. Also it will only get better with upgrades and added features.

Again, thank you for the response and information

Anne

Gerard-Pierre Gerbier

I have just returned to my family tree. I, too, used Gene and I really miss it now. It was so simple. Have you found a good Macintosh alternative?

Regards,

Ken

Unfortunately, I did not find a genealogy's software so simple and powerful . I continue to use “Gene” on an old Macintosh. and Gramps for some controls. However, I took the party to use “TNG directly”.

Igenealogy uses the last “OsX”. But “Apple” sells its OS on a DVD, and requires an additional payment to deliver it on CD. Definitely Apple becomes as stupid as Microsoft. (If I have the occasion of it, I decided to steal the last OsX). :wink:

Best regards,

G.P. Gerbier

I'm pretty recent to this "soaker upper of time' - but looked into a few programs, but settled on Legacy - mainly becuase it essentially uses a MS Access DB at it's core.

That is something I understand and work with everyday. So I like that part of it. Onto version 6 now - I still think it is great - although the charting side is pretty weak. But I brought a whole swag of add-on's that kinda cover that base.

Blair Rogers

New Zealand

http://www.bigg-wither.com

• 2 months later...

Well everyone I decided to start the poll that Brad was asking about. What Genealogy software do you use?

I use Legacy 6, the number 1 rated software and best one I have found so far. I also have FTM and Brothers Keeper but don't use them as much. Here is a link to the Top 10 Genealogy software reviews for 2006.

So let us know what you use and what you think of the program.

I am using FTM Collectors Edition - got it on ebay for $30.14 shipped...

;-)

I am just starting out, and I'm getting help from a lot of people! I have even met a cousin because of this.

As an aside, I just unsubscribed from the mailing list. I think it's easier to get support here, but that's my couple of pennies...

• 4 months later...

I use only TNG.

For some reason I fear that my website will be messed up or something if I manage the genealogy-data with other software on my local computer, and then upload to TNG.

I figured that if I do everything in TNG, such problems would not exist.

I am with you on this one!!!

I tried other programs and had to start over. now I use TNG but I also uploaded my GED file to ancestry and use that to do the research and as I find stuff I simultaneously add to TNG it is working for me

• 1 month later...

Well everyone I decided to start the poll that Brad was asking about. What Genealogy software do you use?

I use Legacy 6, the number 1 rated software and best one I have found so far. I also have FTM and Brothers Keeper but don't use them as much. Here is a link to the Top 10 Genealogy software reviews for 2006.

So let us know what you use and what you think of the program.

i was quite surprized as to the low percentage of those who use paf. i have been using it for 15 years and since they were the people responsible for the gedcom design i was sure that more users would have gravitated to it. as far as upload information from paf to my tng site i have only encountered one obsticle, albeit minor. considering the high votes for legacy, i will look into it............

• 2 weeks later...

I use a free program called Family Tree Builder (http://www.myheritage.com/FP/Company/family-tree-builder.php). Its the only program I've ever used so I don't know how it compares. I am having some issues that I'm getting ready to bring up in another thread. I've thought about switching to TNG exclusively but having the desktop program is so much faster. Its much easier adding individuals and families, children, etc.