TNG Community

Anyone had success with TNG 13 on MySQL 8 or MariaDB 10.6?

KolbjornBlix

After having experienced systemd-related problems with my earlier MariaDB 10.3 installation on my own server, I switched to MySQL 8. The server is Ubuntu 20.04 based. After completely removing the MariaDB 10.3 and all its config files I installed MySQL 8 and re-imported the TNG database (~58000 names) had dumped from MariaDB. It all seemed to run fine, until I had to update the database with an updated GEDCOM file from Gramps were I do my research. TNG is only used to provide the data online.

What happened was that the GEDCOM import went superslow!! Like 100 names per minute!! It normally takes a few minutes to import the complete 58000.

I have had this problem once before with TNG 12  when  switching genealogy software on my laptop caused the database to be formatted into latin1  | latin1_swedish_ci. After having switched the database back to utf8    | utf8_general_ci it all worked normal again.

However, this time the character set is ok. It's something else going on.The PHP logs shows nothing wrong at all, and using the data that's already in the database works like a charm. Only the import is erroneous

After having tested the GEDCOM file with both Humogen and other TNG-type web tools I ended up totally cleaning out MySQL 8 and installing MariaDB 10.6, but the same problem occurred there. As a last resort I cleaned out the newly installed MariaDB 10.6 and went for the default Ubuntu 20.04 MariaDB which is 10.3, and it worked perfectly! I have not done anything to the PHP config during all these actions since PHP has been working fine all the time with my 3 Wordpress sites and more.

Any clues? I'm good for now, but when Ubuntu 22.04 arrives in some months, what then?

I experienced some issues with MariaDB 10.6.4 on macOS "Big Sur" a couple of weeks back.  Import of an existing TNG database worked fine, but the table creation for a pristine 13.0.4 installation stalled about half-way through.  Brent Hemph traced it back to the reserved word "offset" in one of the tables.  Presumably, since MariaDB's reserved word set is a subset of MySQL 8, newer versions of MySQL will have the same issue.

Sorry this does not provide much insight, just conformation...but you can see the thread I posted here.

k/r

Bill Herndon

Lindell-Herndon Genealogy