TNG Community
Giftzwerg

TNG and NAS and Mail

Giftzwerg

Hello all,
It seems that my TNG installation can no longer receive or send any mails.
I was able to install TNG (V13) on my Synology NAS in the home network some time ago. After the corresponding port releases, external access was also possible.
At that time, receiving and sending mail worked without errors, I had tried this out by using different freemail addresses.  
In the meantime, TNG has been updated to version 13.0.4 and I have not noticed any errors so far.
A few days ago I updated the NAS from DSM 6.2 to version 7.
Yesterday I noticed that the system no longer sent any mails when I tried to have TNG reset a forgotten password. Obviously, mails are not being processed (a mail about a new registration did not arrive - but even as an admin you cannot write to the user (the system reports that the message has been sent!).
Within TNG nothing has been changed in the mail settings.
How can I check whether TNG forwards the mail via the NAS to my freemailer?
Does anyone have any ideas?

bhemph

I am assume that you have Use SMTP authentication set to Yes and are wanting to see what is going wrong in the connection.  You will need to edit tngmaillib.php and insert

$mail->SMTPDebug = 4;

after line 20.  I tested by inserting it as the next line.  Then you will need to send a test message and see what the error is that gets returned in the browser and work on resolving the issue.  When the debug option is turned on, all the communication debugging will be output to the browser.  After you have that working, you will need to go and remove the debug line that was added to tngmaillib.php to return the send mail to normal public function.

Brent

Giftzwerg

Hi Brent,
that was very helpful, thank you very much for that.

I could tell from the browser message that the authentication was not working.
The method had been changed at the freemailer.
I have now been able to switch to the new access method and the test messages (sending the user ID)are now working again.
However, resetting the password does not work. TNG displays the message "Logon data was not sent". Unfortunately, the browser does not display any message window. This error probably lies with TNG.

bhemph

The message shows right under the entered username in the browser.  The user you must have used is not set with the "Allow to edit user profile and change password" checkbox checked.  So if the user is not allowed to change their password, then they cannot reset it either.

Giftzwerg

Hi Brent,
Thanks for pointing out these settings. Now everything works as it should.