TNG Community
Rice04

My Crown Loyalist Origins

Rice04

New very little about my family history. No one would ever really talk about it. So over the years i started my research.

This hobby has kind of turned into an obsession a little it. 

I  love the history that i've found so far and look forward to more.

I do have some web design background, so I am thinking of converting this over to Joomla. I think it would suit me a bit  better. But I really do enjoy working with TNG.

In put is always welcome.

Harris Family History

klooster

The one thing to consider here is that Joomla’s market share is declining, which isn’t the case for WordPress. Joomla’s control panel isn’t beginner-friendly. Beginners may find it more complicated to understand Joomla’s control panel and user interface than WordPress’.

If you are new to web-building and want to get a site up and running as quickly as possible, then you should go with WordPress. From creating and publishing posts and pages to managing different media files, WordPress knows how to please its users. 

It won’t matter much if you are a casual blogger a marketing expert – managing content with WordPress will be intuitive and simple. For me WordPress is the overall winner. It is definitely more suitable for beginners, yet it still allows you to expand a website into a more complex project. WordPress will let you develop the system more easily as it features a repository full of themes and plugins.

So WordPress is probably better for the vast majority of websites and should be your default choice for most situations because:

• It’s the most user-friendly content management system, especially for non-developers
  • You can quickly get up and running with an attractive website without lots of development hours/costs.
  • It’s easy to find free and professional help if you run into any issues

My advice would be converting to Wordpress and also because the integration with TNG works lovely.

Read my article about: WP-TNG integration

Philip Roy

Can’t understand some of the logic about Joomla there (which I’ve used from it’s inception for websites…one that ended up being featured in a couple of Joomla books) as the typical user would have no interaction with the control panel and the interface and layout can be easily shaped to how you want, particularly if you use a theme framework, of which there are a few (Yootheme being my preferred…and yes, they also do Wordpress themes).

I can’t answer for Rice04, but I think they were comparing Joomla to TNG….not integrating TNG with Joomla?

But I agree…if you are wanting to integrate TNG *with* a CMS, Wordpress has an active audience and integration. My (private) TNG site is not integrated with Joomla as I have no need of the CMS working with Joomla. TNG by itself if all that I need for my family site.

Rice04

Sorry for any spelling issues, on my phone. I was more or less talking about integration with Joomla. I used Joomla for years for different site types. So I'm overly familiar with it. However, I've been out of web design for roughly 7 to 8 years now. Never used word press so I know nothing of it. My idea was to take what I have and combine it with a blog. I'm thrilled with what I have, but want to make it more user friendly.

Philip Roy

There is no active Joomla integration or community members as far as I’m aware (as mentioned) so I think as Klooster said, you’d be better off looking at Wordpress. Sorry I’d interpreted what you said the other way.

The other thing you could do, depending on how savvy you are with HTML is look at adding user pages. This is what I did to create an FAQ and a few additional pages - https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/User_Pages_-_Getting_Started