TNG Community
mwilcox

404 Error when Exporting GEDCOM

mwilcox

I am getting a 404 error (can't find the file ) when I select the export button in the GEDCOM Export screen. The GEDCOM folder is "gedcom" per the Setup screen. I have successfully done a GEDCOM import before, but not an export that I can recall. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Ken Roy

Maybe you should provide the actual message displayed and whether this is after the export has completed.  If you moved the gedcom folder outside of the web root addressability, the link at the bottom of the export statistics will return a 404 because the gedcom folder is not addressable by the browser.

Edited - If your gedcom folder is not withing the browser addressable area, you can use FTP to download the exported file which is treeID.ged

Edited by Ken Roy
add more information

theKiwi

Also go to TNG Admin ------> Setup ------> Diagnostics and see if all folders are readable (importing a GEDCOM file) and writeable (exporting a GEDCOM file).

Roger

mwilcox

Mr. Roy, thank you for your reply.

I have attached two screenshots of what i see after selecting EXPORT  (ExportGEDCOM.JPG)

and then the error message I get when selecting the link "Download GEDCOM".

The record numbers for people and families is correct.

404ServerError.JPG  ExportGEDCOM.JPG

mwilcox

the Kiwi, I appreciate the advice.

TNG diagnostics advises me that all "key folders" and "configuration files" are "read/write".

Ken Roy

Mwilcox,

Based on your screen captures above, it would appear that your gedcom folder is not under the tng root folder and therefore not addressible by the brower.  Use FTP to download your expert gedcom which is in the form of treeID.ged.

I move my gedcom folder to a private folder structure on my host.  Import will find it because it is a PHP script that is looking for it, but the link for Download Export will not since it is not within the web root area on the site.  I use FTP to download my exported gedcom

Ken Roy

I have updated the TNG Wiki article on Move your gedcom files to reflect the change made in TNG 13 that replaced the Make Folder button with the Rename Folder button.  The Known Behavior section describes the 404 you are getting

mwilcox

OK. Thanks for your help. Guess I just need to get better acquainted with my web host's control panel now.

Ken Roy

Note that my comments apply only if your Admin > Import settings for GEDCOM Folder (Import/Export):  is not in your TNG folder structure. 

If your GEDCOM Folder (Import/Export): is gedcom as provided by TNG, you will need to report this problem to Darrin. 

If your GEDCOM Folder (Import/Export): is outside of the web addressability, then what you are showing is normal behavior. 

mwilcox

SOLVED (for me anyway)

Thanks to Ken Roy and the Kiwi for their input. I was able to download the GEDCOM file from my web host's control panel using FTP.

FWIW, the GEDCOM folder is in wwwroot and the tree1.ged file was in that folder, but I'm still using TNG v10.1, so I'm thinking not worth reporting in any event. Maybe this will put me over the hump to upgrade.