TNG Community
EmilyJ

Is there a way to show who is flagged private/living in the back end?

EmilyJ

I wasn't sure which forum to post this, please move if it belongs in a different one. :)

Finally, after many years of false starts, I am using TNG to build my genealogy website. I am not using it to upload GEDCOMs, but I am manually entering all the people one at a time because that is how it best works for me.

Is there a mod or something that will add two columns to the people section (and possibly the family section) so I can quickly see if I have flagged a person as living and/or private? I was hoping it would be very simple like return a Yes if a person was marked Living or marked Private.

I'm trying to be very careful to make sure I have the people marked appropriately as I add them, but of course, I forget sometimes. I've set up some reports that I can run to check but that's a pain to toggle them on and off as active when I run them. (That's a whole separate question about having reports only available on the admin end of things and not showing on the public end.) The other way I've been checking is to use a separate browser and check while not logged in, but it would be much easier if I could just see in the table.

Thanks!

Emily

snipit of people admin.jpeg

snipit of families admin.jpeg

Ken Roy

Emily,

The following two mods might help identify whether you have flagged all the correct people as Living or Private

The living and private flags information is displayed on the Descendant Text screen. 

EmilyJ

Hi Ken,

Thank you. I did see those but I was just hoping for something in the backend so I could scan down the table and save some time clicking around. :) I will have to give them a try.

Thanks,

Emily

EmilyJ

In case anyone is looking for the same information...

I gave the two mods that Ken mentioned a tryout and they are good. I also saw the Living Color Mod which I decided to try, even though I thought it was only for the public side of things.

I ended up sticking with the Living Color Mod because it also changes the color in the admin side of things and works well for what I was looking for. I can tell quickly in the people table (and in the family table) who is marked living and who is marked private.

Thanks!

Emily

Michael T. Jones

Maybe I missed something - but does the “Living Only” check box in Admin -> People show what you are looking for?

EmilyJ
2 hours ago, Michael T. Jones said:

Maybe I missed something - but does the “Living Only” check box in Admin -> People show what you are looking for?

It sort of helped...but once I added in more people the list got too long to manage. What I was looking for was a way to easily find the ones that were not marked living or private who should have been. The Living Only checkbox shows the ones I remembered to mark.

bhemph

Emily,
     For your reports on the public side query, you have to mark the report as Active "Yes" if you want it on the public side and "No" if you want it only on the admin side.  The help for this area does give a better description than just the word Active indicates.

Brent

Ken Roy
2 hours ago, EmilyJ said:

It sort of helped...but once I added in more people the list got too long to manage. What I was looking for was a way to easily find the ones that were not marked living or private who should have been. The Living Only checkbox shows the ones I remembered to mark.

Exactly why I developed my two mods.  It is easier to see who you missed when you display the descendants.  I create a genealogy book for the Roy Family Reunion in Madawaska, Maine in 1994 when family group sheets and pedigree charts provided their family to the reunion committee.  Most entries for living people showed no birth information so when I created my TNG Web site I needed something to ensure that I had manually marked the living persons as living.

I use Ben Wagner's Living Flag Backup / Restore mod that I support to backup and restore the living flags as part of my Data Import procedure.

Rob Severijns

Emily,

You might also want to check the Validation Check Mod by  Michel Kirsch

It checks your database for irregularities like "to old to be alive" and "to young to be a mother" etc

Rob

EmilyJ
12 hours ago, bhemph said:

Emily,
     For your reports on the public side query, you have to mark the report as Active "Yes" if you want it on the public side and "No" if you want it only on the admin side.  The help for this area does give a better description than just the word Active indicates.

Brent

The problem was I couldn't figure out a way to actually run the report to see the results unless I toggled it to active and ran it from the public side. I think I'm missing something. I do love all the "Help for this Area" descriptions. It took me a while to figure out they are very helpful! :)

EmilyJ
3 hours ago, Rob Severijns said:

Emily,

You might also want to check the Validation Check Mod by  Michel Kirsch

It checks your database for irregularities like "to old to be alive" and "to young to be a mother" etc

Rob

Rob,

That looks promising!! I am going to give that one a try. I don't remember seeing it before... but there are so many mods to look through in the list LOL

Thanks,

Emily

Ken Roy
1 hour ago, EmilyJ said:

The problem was I couldn't figure out a way to actually run the report to see the results unless I toggled it to active and ran it from the public side. I think I'm missing something.

Emily,

You do not need to activate the report to run it.  On the Admin side, when you look at the list of reports, the action column has 3 icons - edit, delete, and test.

The 3rd icon, test is what allows you to run the report on the Admin side.  Just be aware that on the admin side, the SQL for the report is echoed at the top of the screen

Michel KIRSCH

Emily,

did you try the Living color Mod?

It colors the name living persons in red and the name of private in blue.

(you can change the colors in the parameters).

the colors appears in individuals page and Administrator lists (people and families)

Michel

EmilyJ
13 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Emily,

did you try the Living color Mod?

It colors the name living persons in red and the name of private in blue.

(you can change the colors in the parameters).

the colors appears in individuals page and Administrator lists (people and families)

Michel

Hi Michel,

Yes, I did try the Living Color Mod and that's the one I'm using. I stumbled on it when I was trying out the Living Flag Display Mod that Ken mentioned. It works the best for what I was looking for. Thanks so much!

Emily