TNG Community

Possible to show Default Image thumb in Public person list?

SarahBeth

Thanks Roger,

I agree with you.  Default photos should not be assigned from a surname search results list

Edited by Ken Roy
add more information

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michel KIRSCH

• tngrlkrz

• Ken Roy

• klooster

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, klooster said:

, choose another photo and there will be no black box

But I believe Roger is suggesting that if you do *not* want to choose default photo, even though media exists, the box should not be there.  I agree with Roger and Ken on this.

,choose another photo and there will be no black box

But I believe Roger is suggesting that if you do *not* want a default photo, even though media exists, the box should not be there.  I agree with Roger and Ken on this. But, if this is difficult for Michel,  ...realize I am OK with it either way.  The mod still adds much value to the Search results, regardless of the little box or not. 😉

1 hour ago, tngrlkrz said:

But I believe Roger is suggesting that if you do *not* want a default photo, even though media exists, the box should not be there.  I agree with Roger and Ken on this. But, if this is difficult for Michel,  ...realize I am OK with it either way.  The mod still adds much value to the Search results, regardless of the little box or not. 😉

Ron,

I believe what Roger and I are both suggesting is that the public side of the TNG search should NOT provide a way to assign default photos, but rather only display the default photo if it exists and continue to support the old style default photo names (treeID.personID.jpg) that are not part of a media collection.

There are other ways to assign default photos when editing the media. 

Yes, I gree on that subject, only the owner of the website, has the rights to change the default photo. But that has to do with the rights as an administrator you give to logged in members. 

15 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

I believe what Roger and I are both suggesting is that the public side of the TNG search should NOT provide a way to assign default photos, but rather only display the default photo if it exists and continue to support the old style default photo names (treeID.personID.jpg) that are not part of a media collection.

I will beg ignorance of this and bow to Roger's and your explanations since I have never used the treeID.personID.jpg.

Michel KIRSCH

Hi All,

sorry for the late answer. I was out.

Will try to reproduce the problem at home.

I use the standard TNG functions to display the thumb.

Will check for a solution.

Michel

1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

Ron,

There are other ways to assign default photos when editing the media. 

Yes - exactly that.

treeID.personID.jpg I believe has been around since before TNG Media allowed the assigning of a default photo. It hasn't always been in TNG, but I've been using TNG now for more than 18 years, and now can't remember when it wasn't a way to display a default photo for a person. I started with TNG 2.7 I think it was.

@Michel KIRSCH - does the code need to check rights, so that if the viewer has no rights, then they won't get shown any links to admin_anything in the thumbnail column - either show the image, or show nothing at all, no matter what media is linked to a person?

Roger

Michel KIRSCH

OK guys,

it's fixed.

Will promote the version 1b soon.

Michel

Michel KIRSCH
19 minutes ago, theKiwi said:

does the code need to check rights

It was the case Roger. I don't try but I thinkk that a normal user, without rights don't see anything if there is no default photo.

The new version 1b, fixing this problem, is to download on the wiki !

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Add_thumb_to_search_result

Let you try. Belgium meets Italy in the quarterfinals of the European cup of football now !

Michel

1 hour ago, theKiwi said:

treeID.personID.jpg I believe has been around since before TNG Media allowed the assigning of a default photo

The Media - Default Images documents the procedure and implies that TNG added the capability to assign a media image as default in TNG v8.  Note that the old method allows assigning a default image to a family as treeID.familyID.jpg

Default photos assigned the old method do not need to be part of the TNG media collections and my Default Photo Path Mod allows moving the entries to a separate folder or as a subfolder to photos.  Roger and I have been using this approach every since we started using TNG.  I started with TNG 5.0.4 in 2005.

15 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Roger and I have been using this approach every since we started using TNG.  I started with TNG 5.0.4 in 2005.

Probably since I have always imported all data, I never used the 'old method'.  In fact I don't recall what photo appeared next to the name back then, but I do know my first purchase of TNG was in March,2004, version 3.4.9, LOL.

44 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

It was the case Roger. I don't try but I thinkk that a normal user, without rights don't see anything if there is no default photo.

The new version 1b, fixing this problem, is to download on the wiki !

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Add_thumb_to_search_result

No, still the same problem - see this page

http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/search.php?mylastname=moffat&lnqualify=&mybool=AND&nr=50&showspouse=&showdeath=&offset=50&tree=&tngpage=2

The two images are the treeID.personID.jpg type image.

The black squares still remain on people who have an image, but it's not their default image

44 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Let you try. Belgium meets Italy in the quarterfinals of the European cup of football now !

Good luck to Belgium (or Italy...)

Roger

27 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

Probably since I have always imported all data, I never used the 'old method'.  In fact I don't recall what photo appeared next to the name back then, but I do know my first purchase of TNG was in March,2004, version 3.4.9, LOL.

My oldest treeID.personID.jpg type images have a creation date of 3 Nov 2005 - on 3 and 4 November I made 68 of them it appears.

Roger

Michel KIRSCH
1 hour ago, theKiwi said:

Good luck to Belgium (or Italy...)

Belgium lost 2-1. Snif !

Roger, i think you don't uninstall your version 1a before installing the 1b.

Don't you do a clean Up of the 1 a with the 1 b?

Plesae verify the code in search .php.

Michel

Michel KIRSCH

Same problem with The new version 1b on my Local Host

Cees, I can't help without a link..

Can you try on your live site?

For all.

I reproduce the problem home, see the black boxes and once the 1b installed, i see no more black boxes.

Michel

Michel KIRSCH

Ah ! Sorry...

In the last page of my search result, I see one person with the black boxe with 1b installed ....

Wait !

2 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

The new version 1c can be downloaded on the wiki.

That has done it - the black boxes are gone - thank you!

Roger

PS - Sorry for Belgium losing...

Rob Severijns

Version 1c works fine but I do have a additional question.

When I'm logged in as a user and I perform a search by surname or firstname I get the following screen which is normal.

image.png

But clicking the name "Severijns" results in a:

image.png

Is this normal behaviour or is this the result of the "add thumb to search result"?

Searching via Search people does give me the expected result by showing the individuals with a certain surname or firstname.

Rob

Michel KIRSCH

Thx Cees and Roger.

Rob,

The Mod has nothing to do with this wierd behaviour.

I try with a normal user, without problem...

Michel

7 hours ago, Rob Severijns said:

When I'm logged in as a user and I perform a search by surname or firstname I get the following screen which is normal.

image.png

But clicking the name "Severijns" results in a:

image.png

Rob,

The screen capture you show does not appear to be from a search but rather from the TNG built-in Find, Surnames pull down selection.

Is this on your local webserver or on your hosted system?  What version of PHP? 

I seem to recall a similar problem recently where the web server is on a network attached server (NAS) device.

Rob Severijns

Hi Ken,

That's correct Ken.

It's on the hosted system and using PHP 7.4

In the meantime, while cleaning up and removing Mod's in Admin/Mod Manager, my website crashed and I haven't been able to get it running again.

Error 500 😞

Still working on that and luckely I have a recent backup and gedcom file.

Rob