TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
Branko

Rename Gedcom and Backups folders in v13.0.4

Branko

Hi,

I have updated to v13.0.4 the other day and am also one of those users that has not renamed the GEDCOM and Backups folders, so I took advantage of the new functionality. All worked well.

Today I wanted to update my data. I use Legacy for all my data and export via GEDCOM files into TNG. I uploaded the new GEDCOM file into the new named folder and when I went to Import the contents, click on the Browse button and rather than displaying my uploaded GEDCOM file the Search window was displayed with what looks like a complete list of files and folders on the server. I checked the site using the cPanel File Manager and all folders and files appeared to be where they should be.

I went back to /Setup/Import Settings and the setting still displayed the original (default) gedcom folder name and not the new name that I gave it. I hit the Rename button to rename the folder back to gedcom, uploaded my GEDCOM file and everything worked. In addition, using the Rename button this time rather than just rename the folder back to gedcom it actually created a new gedcom folder leaving the one I created there as well.

The same happens if the backups folder is renamed using the Rename button, the backup routine can't find the new backups folder.

This happens on the Simply Hosting server and on my localhost. I did clear out the cache.

Branko

Ken Roy

Did you save the Settings after you did the rename?

bhemph

Branko,
      After the rename the first time, you must have missed that you needed to save the new settings.  So that is why the upload would have shown everything on the first import afterwards, since now the import was looking for gedcom but that folder was not there because it had been renamed.  The second time you went to rename the folder, TNG tried renaming the folder gedcom to gedcom, but did not find the gedcom folder to rename and the folder was created instead.

It looks like you probably didn't save the settings after renaming the backup folder either.  So just make sure that field has the correct folder name and then save the settings.  Since the folder was already renamed, you don't need to click on rename again.

Brent

Branko

Thank you Ken and Brent,

Not one to give up, I went through the process again, and yes this time I did go to the bottom of the page and click Save.  I did not do that last time, believing the message "Success" to have done it all. All works. Lesson learnt, always Save, don't assume.

Branko