TNG Community
TNG_Mike

Resolved: Return to Original Template

TNG_Mike

I'm using template 12 for my tree site https://cushings.com/roots/public_tng/ . One of my features was about a French family and I included French translations. In the template, this means making a copy in the selected language, for which a text box and a few other boxes are created for the French text, the French picture title, etc. I periodically change the two featured families. My problem: I've now removed the French family and replaced it with an English one, for which I don't wish to have a French translation. How do I get rid of the added 2nd language boxes in my template? (And the effect that when viewed in French my home page shows the empty translation instead of the English text for this family.)

Katryne

In your theme config page, everywhere you see "Create a page in...", set the scroll-down menu to blank, and your home page will show your English texts whatever the browsing language will be.

TNG_Mike

Thank you, Katryne. In my template configuration, "Create a copy in:" is blank. But the boxes previously created for a French version are still there, but empty. When I go to my home page and select French from the language drop-down, the English text for that "feature" - the left panel in this case - disappear. My home page: https://cushings.com/roots/public_tng/ . It looks like the previously created French boxes, now empty, are being displayed. I need to somehow reset the template.

Ken Roy

Darrin moved the Template Settings into the TNG database, so you will need to delete the entries from the tng_template database table in order to drop your empty French text.

You could try installing the Template Manager mod and using it to update the template table. Sorry, but I do not have the time to teach you how to use it. 

Please delete your duplicate post in the other forum.  Thanks

TNG_Mike

Thank you, Ken. I'll look into Template Manager. I can't find my other post, so maybe already deleted by an admin? I saw lots of activity regarding templates in the q&a forum, so thought other forums may not be as visible. In the future I'll know. Thanks.

TNG_Mike

Well, that was an adventure ... It was not clear to me how to use the template manager mod to solve my problem, which resulted in me inadvertently and permanently removing the template in question from the template table. Oops. I ended up studying the format and entries of the template table and the template configuration php in the installation package and manually reinserted the 14 original table entries for my template. With the original template restored I reinserted all my customized text and links that I have in a separate file. Way beyond my experience level, but it worked. The key for me was your information that template data was stored in the template table. Thank you.