TNG Community

Multiple Login with same user account

Rob Severijns

Rob Severijns

Hi everyone,

I just noticed that it's possible to have multiple login with the same user account.

I know it might be a little far fetched from happening but could this cause problems when an admin account has multiple login and changes are made.?

Could this potentialy corrupt any of the TNG files resulting in  a broken intallation?

A check to see if a user is already logged on should/could prohibit a second logon by the same account.

Rob

Rob,
     I don't think that it should be able to cause a problem.  The only thing I can think of where it would even be possible is if the two logins of the same user tried editing the same person at the same time and saving.  Only the last edit would actually be saved, and this is to say the pieces that are in the person table only since if you added events through both those events would each get added although only visible to the tab adding that event until a refresh showed the others.  It would be similar with any other row in any table being edited.  I haven't actually tried it to see, but that is my theory of what would happen.  Since there are locks on people and families so that two different admins cannot cause conflicting changes, that would really be the only thing that is being bypassed by having the same user logged in twice instead of having two different users logged in.

You could make a mod to add a column that would only allow a user to be logged into one tab on one browser on one device.  The problem is that the user would need to know where they were logged in to be able to log out and log into the other browser or device.  Otherwise they would have to contact you as the site administrator to let them log in.  That would be a lot of extra headache in managing your site though.  So unless you have been having problems with the same user being logged in multiple times confusing people updating data, this is probably not the solution.  Giving different admins different logins or reducing the lifetime of the session cookie would be better options to not overburden the site administrator.

Brent

Michel KIRSCH

No problem Rob.

When a record is edited, it is blocked for another editor.

Only when saved, is It editable by another Admin.

If the record stay open for edition too many time, the edition is abondonned and the record released for new edition

Michel