TNG Community
Joyaa

Mod Manager - ran Recommended Updates tab for cust_text.php - but then added another Mod

Joyaa

Hi,

After running the Recommended Updates tab in the Mod Manager in order to bring cust_text.php file up to TNG12+ requirements, I added a new Mod ...

1. Running the update put this at the top of cust_text.php;

// Unused Media, v13.0.0.7
$admtext['confdeletefiles'] = "Are you sure you want to delete the selected files?";

... lots more $admtext lines ...
... until ...

// End of Unused Media

and then 
//Mods should put their changes before this line, local changes should come after it.

//This is to change the default header
$text['ourpages'] = "Zausmers and More-smers";

2. Then I added a new Mod, which was added to the bottom of the file:

// added for Exclude Secret Notes
$admtext['exsecret'] = "Exclude Secret Notes";

Are we supposed to cut/paste these two new lines and pop them in above
//Mods should put their changes before this line, local changes should come after it.

Presumably this is what this comment intends...(?)

Further, are we supposed to implement the same cut/paste in the cust_text.php file in the English-UTF8 folder?
And in other language folders (French and French-UTF8) that we use?

Thanks, Joyaa

Brett

Joyaa

Mod versions developed for TNG12 and above should use the //Mods should put their changes before this line, local changes should come after it.

for placement of their Mod code above that line.

Mod versions developed before TNG12 but able to install on TNG or above still place their code below that line.

In the case of the Mod you installed,  Exclude Secret Notes if identified as V12 or above it should use the correct location to add, if Mod guidelines are followed.

There is no need to change anything however. All that is required is that the Mod installs without conflict. If there is, report as per Mod support for each mod, usually here.

Ken Roy

The Exclude Secret Notes mod does not use the new mod custom text standard. I will update the latest version, however do have a couple of questions:

1. should the mod be renamed to Exclude Confidential Notes
  2. should we ask Darrin to change the Private check box on the Notes to Confidential
  3. should we also ask Darrin for a View Confidential privilege (some things more appropriately belong in TNG than in mods
  4. which other language cust_text should be added

Brett
20 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:
  • should the mod be renamed to Exclude Confidential Notes
  • should we ask Darrin to change the Private check box on the Notes to Confidential

My thought would be for Darrin to leave as Private and if a rename is necessary use Exclude Private Notes.

Joyaa
15 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

The Exclude Secret Notes mod does not use the new mod custom text standard. I will update the latest version, however do have a couple of questions:

1. should the mod be renamed to Exclude Confidential Notes
  2. should we ask Darrin to change the Private check box on the Notes to Confidential
  3. should we also ask Darrin for a View Confidential privilege (some things more appropriately belong in TNG than in mods
  4. which other language cust_text should be added

Hi Ken,
Using your numbering:
0. "update the latest version" -   would be good for consistency. 
1. The important thing, IMHO, is consistency.   "Exclude Confidential Notes" is meaningful and consistent naming with e.g. the "Confidential Note Color" Mod.  In relation to notes, personally I prefer "confidential".    Should all instances of "private notes" then be renamed "confidential notes"?  Maybe.  Display Private Notes, Unlink Private Notes, Private Note Mod ... and "Secret Notes for Admin".   And then minor edits to the wiki so that the term "confidential" is used throughout.   
2. Insofar as private notes is concerned - yes, that would be logical.   However, in relation to private person or private flag, perhaps "private" is the better term?
3. That would make sense:  "Private" in relation to people and "Confidential" in relation to notes.  ... unless there is so much overlap that there's no need for both terms.
4. Outside of my scope to answer.
Hope this helps.

Ken Roy

The consistency challenge is that Private in English is "Confidentiel" in French and the Confidential Note Color mod was written by Michel.

I do not have the time to rename all my mods that deal with the secret flag in notes.  I would much prefer getting Darrin to make some of these changes as part of a TNG upgrade.  Unfortunately I am not sure that everyone agrees that Allow View Private privilege is sufficient to control who can view Private or Confidential notes.  While the Confidential Note Color mod works for some people, it is not a good solution for those who are color-blind or visually challenged

Ken Roy

Since I do not have the time to deal with this issue at the moment, I will simply update the Exclude Secret Notes mod to put the custom text variables before the new cust_text.php  anchor and not attempt to rename the mod nor change the $text variable at this time.

Joyaa

Thanks for all your hard work Ken. 
I understand the challenges to which you refer.
Returning to your "4. which other language cust_text should be added" - my bias is for English and French.
Best wishes.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.