TNG Community
Leif Sweden

Menu list with submenus

Leif Sweden

I have today a lot of collections in Media, both fileds from TNG and my own, they are all shown in the Menu field to the left (I am using template 4) but do not appear below each other.

Is it possbile to have only one (Media) with a drop down where you can see the submenus if you click? 

Or is there already a Mod for this?

Leif

MichaelM

Hi Leif,

seems to be, that template 4 is very simple and "old scool" , all options appear under a single menu.
I propose to try another template.

Michael

I use a modified version of template 18 and  Media- Menu apears like this:

image.png

Newfloridian

Hi Leif

I think you are talking about splitting up the dropdown menus on the riboon bar with "breakout" submenus. I seem to remember back in the days of TNG 8(ish) when the ribbon bar was first introduced someone did put out a mod which did just that. I never used it myself but it seems to have gone the way of many mods as TNG itself got upgraded. Maybe one of the longer term users might have a better memory.

Michael: I must disagree with your sentiments. I have used template 4 for over 16 years. It may be old and well established but it is also highly flexible and adaptable to individual needs. I have always believed that the template should aid the delivery of your (the author's) message but not influence and colour it in any way. My own site now has a multi-coloured magazine of over 500 fully illustrated articles built using the historytemplate feature. One of the huge advantages that template 4 provides is that once the "internal" TNG menu items were moved to the ribbon bar it left the left had column free for development into a navigation bar for the "external" items. 

Cheers Alan

Leif Sweden

Hi Alan and Michael,

As I have splitted Media into a number of different collections (today ca 15 including TNGs own), they are all visibel in the left menu (the one you can hide). In that menu I want to be able to have Media with a "breakdown" arrow where you can make them all visibel by clicking the arrow.

I agree with Alan that template 4 is clean and clear, maybe there are more possiblities in some of the new templates and maybe I change to one of them in the future.

Thank you both for your answers.

Leif                            

tngrlkrz

With template 4,  you already have the ribbon menu with a single 'media' tab with a drop down of specific media types.  If you are referring to the left navigation column, are you are wishing to condense the listing of media links to one?  I have always felt having a  left navigation column takes up precious real estate with somewhat redundant links, unless you move them to the ribbon bar as Alan has done.

KevyNC

I may need to start a new Thread , however my questions seem related to this thread. What I want to do is to expand the mediatypes of the standard TNG (photos, documents, headstones, and so on).  Adding (Inserting rows) in tng_mediatypes table --- that is straight forward.  Updating mediatypeID in tng_media table -- also straight forward using simple SQL update.  That part I am okay with.  My Question is related to how to expand the drop down media, updating the table does not seem to change the menu option -- so I am assuming this is hard coded vs a qry?  Also the list on the admin panel dropdown does not expand when rows are added to media types table.

image.png

do I need to update the PHP in the head menu and admin menu?  If so , approx. what lines do I need to worry about.

[EDIT] 

Part 2 -- also I guess I would need to worry about paths.  In my case they are all all in the MEDIA folder. but if  I add additional media types, can I add the to the localpath field so TNG know where to find them since the "bonus" media types will not be configurable from the Admin panel?

Thanks

Ken Roy

Kevin,

Unless I completely misinterpret what you want to do, that should happen automatically if you create new collections in TNG.  See the TNG Wiki article on Media - Collections  in the Media category

You should not need to modify the mediatypes file which defines the TNG media collections that you cannot change in Admin > Media