TNG Community

Applying v9 Backup to new v13 install?

PatCousins

PatCousins

Hi everyone, I was running v9 way back, with my last backup in 2012 (but had not made any updates since then). My old web host went out of business, so I have now signed up for Simply Hosting and had them install v13. My site is at https://www.patcousins.com/

I was able to FTP my backup folders and files to Simply Hosting (see view of folder structure below). Is there an easy way to restore the bulk of my old data (people, notes, images etc.), or would I be better off just importing my GEDCOM again and reattaching images, census etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Pat

TNGv9-backup.png

Chris Lloyd

There have been several updates to the various tables over the iterations of TNG.  

One way of doing it may be to set up your original tng on a local server like WAMP or similar and upgrade the db that way.

Once updated create a new backup and use that on your new installation.

PatCousins

Hi Chris, thanks for the suggestion! I can see how that would make it easier - I just don't have faith in my technical abilities to carry it out successfully! I think my tree is small enough that I can reattach objects again manually. Cheers!